South Carolina Picked Up All of Texas's First Place Votes | The Boneyard

South Carolina Picked Up All of Texas's First Place Votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just to stir the pot further, one of the AP voters didn't have UConn in the top two. Someone voted us #3. Any guesses?

Reaction Score
To me nothing matters..... as long as we are in the top 4...... assuring a #1 seed somewhere...... but all that having been said...... whoever is voting SC #1 should see the tape of the Duke game again and again...... a miracle finish to squeak by 51-50...... and we beat them by 30...... if hoops voted like football (witness Florida State..... undefeated but not overly impressive)...... we certainly would be #1.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is so exciting! UConn gets to play #1 in Gampel Pavilion Feb. 9! As Geno said: "Long time since that has happened. " He he he. These are the games we love (as long as the Pepto Bismol is handy). As far as the voting goes, UConn isn't getting any judgment calls from any but a very small few at 9-0 in Nat'l Championships. I mean, every one of those voters is thinking: If this Stanford squad could do it, then surely SC can.

Reaction Score
I don't know that it is guaranteed that South Carolina gets the UConn undefeated and number 1. South Carolina's posts really were not dominant against the very undersized and young Kentucky front line. Texas A&M could very well get back on track with a win in Carolina if they win the paint. I don't think there's any question UConn is the best team in the country. The people voting most all probably realize that, but SCar has to lose before they can be moved down.

Reaction Score
That poll is no longer accurate. Texas, Notre Dame and a few other top teams lost.

Reaction Score
I don't know that it is guaranteed that South Carolina gets the UConn undefeated and number 1. South Carolina's posts really were not dominant against the very undersized and young Kentucky front line. Texas A&M could very well get back on track with a win in Carolina if they win the paint. I don't think there's any question UConn is the best team in the country. The people voting most all probably realize that, but SCar has to lose before they can be moved down.
Texas A&M looks like the only team they might slip up against before UCONN, and I doubt they will. Hope they're still undefeated - then Feb 9 will be a "statement" game for somebody.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just to stir the pot further, one of the AP voters didn't have UConn in the top two. Someone voted us #3. Any guesses?
Here's the list of voters.

I can tell you who it's not - Dan Fleser from the Knoxville News Sentinel. Guy's a straight shooter.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I can tell you who it's not - Dan Fleser from the Knoxville News Sentinel. Guy's a straight shooter.
Sad/Ironic that Rich Elliott "Connecticut Post" is on the list. I assume he continues to cast his vote and doesn't relinquish the responsibility/honor to someone else.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I was looking through the list, and saw that NC had 3 voters.... and thought that was odd. Then i realized they have a voter listed under NC that is actually a VA voter (Roanoke)

Reaction Score
Sad/Ironic that Rich Elliott "Connecticut Post" is on the list. I assume he continues to cast his vote and doesn't relinquish the responsibility/honor to someone else.
100% of the list have their media employers listed. I don't know the voter selection process, but it appears a media affiliation is part of the standard package. Wonder which has more influence in getting on/staying on the list - the individual or the media outlet.

Reaction Score

I'm inclined to think there are a number of people who would like for any excuse not to vote UConn number one. In years past, it's been tough to do but with our Stanford loss, that gave them all the justification they needed. There are a whole bunch of people who probably don't follow women's basketball very much at all who would LOVE to see us fail, just because they want Goliath to go down, not that they care about who does win, as long as it's not UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Now of course Baylor is #3, and Brice Cherry is from the Waco Tribune. Cherry is wrapped up in Baylor and the B12 as he should be and he is also (usually) a truly enjoyable read with great insights and opinions and he has a great feel for the game (football), and also one who is not afraid to bring up some hornet's nest issues. No reason to absolutely suspect he's the one who would make UConn #3, but there are two big questions about him and about how the WCBB rankings are compiled.

First, Cherry is mainly a B12 and Baylor football guy, men's basketball, and some NBA. Unless he also goes by the name "Staff Report," I don't believe he's written a piece on women's basketball this year. Hell, maybe that would make him more objective since he won't necessarily be as much of a Baylor homer, but it does seem a little slap in the face to the WCBB that a listed voter in the AP poll doesn't cover the sport. I do rankings for some sports, but it would be not the wisest move to ask me to vote on the top NASCAR driver or the top tractor puller. I could be objectively ignorant for either poll, but I'm not sure that's worth much. Couldn't the Tribune find a more knowledgeable source to cast a vote?

Second, almost five years ago, Cherry did get into the WCBB discussion with an article that caused some fires on the BY whose smoldering remains still are evident whenever one comes across a "Is UConn Bad for Women's Basketball" type article. In the midst of a run to a second straight NC and with Baylor about to become victim #77 of 90, Cherry posted his "Disparity between UConn, opponents unhealthy," not exactly a slam against UConn but rather just another in a line of sad befuddled articles about how dynasties were bad in WCBB (even though they're much beloved in other sports), how even though he's a guys' BB fan he can appreciate Maya Moore (very commendable), and that upsets were uncommon in the women's Tournament (such as the one that happened to his Bears three years later when they were trying to become the new dynasty). It's his view, and there were many on the BY who agreed with him on all his points, since he can pull out some stats to try to support his points without talking about those taboo subjects like funding for women's sports, and I really doubt that his idea of "spreading the wealth" meant taking any money away from football programs to help the little sisters of the poor. The point was simply "UConn’s run may deserve the headlines, but why should anyone feel compelled to read them?" and that the Huskies needed to go down for the good of everybody because no one likes to read about dynasties (like the Yankees, '49ers, Lakers, Celtics, Bruins, Dream Team, etc.). No one.

So maybe it's good that USCar is atop the rankings, and why should anyone feel compelled to look at the rankings if UConn is up there?

Reaction Score
100% of the list have their media employers listed. I don't know the voter selection process, but it appears a media affiliation is part of the standard package. Wonder which has more influence in getting on/staying on the list - the individual or the media outlet.
My guess would be the media outlet. I imagine the poll administrators want some sort of cross section of the nation represented. Should an individual leave one region and take a position at a paper that already has a voter, I doubt both would remain as a survey participant.

Reaction Score
To me nothing matters..... as long as we are in the top 4. assuring a #1 seed somewhere. but all that having been said. whoever is voting SC #1 should see the tape of the Duke game again and again. a miracle finish to squeak by 51-50. and we beat them by 30. if hoops voted like football (witness Florida State..... undefeated but not overly impressive). we certainly would be #1..
well, one can argue that they eked out an win at the end, that is better than our lost to Stanford...You cannot argue that a lost actually weighs nicer than a close win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom