South Carolina game Feb 8 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina game Feb 8

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the courts are more standard than they were back when I played hs ball in the dinosaur age. Heck, the ball bounced differently in every spot of the floor back then. But travel, sleeping away from your own bed, food issues etc etc, are still some disadvantages even if minor.

But crowd support in mega games is lacking. :( .

Odd though, our corona home capacity may be more than the average year for many P-5 programs
I have to say I respect how much Gamecock fans support their program. It’s good to see and it’s good for the sport.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have to say I respect how much Gamecock fans support their program. It’s good to see and it’s good for the sport.

They are in the best position to play the archenemy to UConn that TN / ND used to play over the next 5 year cycle. Dawn as USWNT coach just adds to it. And I will do my best to dislike them which started with the Boston theft:mad:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You do realize that in Megan and Crystal UConn lost 38 of it’s 52 points scored in that matchup? The only other double digit scorer was ONO with 10 and the rest combined scored 2. Not saying the freshman and Evina won’t be very good but I don’t think you understood how valuable Dangerfield and Walker were to that team. Of course losing Harris and Herbert Harrigan will hurt some but SC has players ready to step in and take over. UConn will always be our toughest matchup though. I’m a little disappointed I won’t be able to see it in person but I’m just glad we’re able to have a season and watch it all unfold.
It’s a lot to make up, no doubt about it. No one player is going to replace either Megan‘s or Dangerfield’s contributions. But this UConn team is going to be different. We have multiple players who are comfortable both as distributors and as scorers. That makes us a very hard team to guard. Additionally, we have more depth than we’ve seen in recent memory.

South Carolina is an outstanding program coached by one of the best coaches on the game. It won’t be easy, but I like our chances and it will give us a good idea just how good this year‘s team can be.

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
By the time this game is played, UConn may have 8 to 10 players who can run and gun plus play a full court pressure defense that many teams will not be able to handle. They will have a lot of games under their belt and they shouldn't have any problems against SC.
Lol...now that's funny. I know that South Carolina players won't have an extended season of games before they play UCONN (insert sarcasm here).....you forget that all teams get better over the course of the season and not just UCONN don't you ? The South Carolina freshmen are now sophomores and will be almost juniors by that time...geez....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ok thank you! Finally someone with a realistic view without any preposterous bias.
Not to disturb your narrative of choice, but you haven't noticed other people saying that the SC game is going to be difficult for UConn?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They are in the best position to play the archenemy to UConn that TN / ND used to play over the next 5 year cycle. Dawn as USWNT coach just adds to it. And I will do my best to dislike them which started with the Boston theft:mad:

I would love to see SC assume the roll of UConn's new archenemy. It would be a nice change of pace and good for BOTH programs. Dawn will not back out of this series no matter what happens. She's also not afraid to play anyone, anywhere, anytime.

The outlook is for SC to be extremely formidable over the next 5-6 years and beyond. They should remain a constant top 5 program for years to come. As far as the Boston theft, no grudges here. They did exactly what they were suppose to do in recruiting her. They simply did a better job of recruiting her than we did. I think the loss of Marisa Moseley had something to do with it. Bad timing for UConn, but the opportunity for her to return to her Alma Mater (Boston University) as head coach could not be ignored.

As the Chinese Shaolin Master said to Kwai Chang Caine (Grasshopper in the 1970's TV series Kung ) after Kwai Chang snatched to pebbles from his hand "time for you to go". She didn't snatch any pebbles from Geno's hand, or walk on rice paper without leaving any foot prints, but It was time for her to go. :D

Moseley had established a relationship with Boston which Lister could not (not enough time). SC (assistant coach Jolette Law) did an excellent job recruiting Aaliyah and her mother, wining and dining them like royalty on their official visit. We don't know what if any promises were made to Boston during her recruitment. She was a starter the entire year winning the following awards along the way:

National Freshman of the Year (ESPN, USBWA, WBCA)
Lisa Leslie Center of the Year
All-America Second Team (AP, USBWA)
All-America Honorable Mention (WBCA)
All-SEC First Team
SEC Defensive Player of the Year
SEC Freshman of the Year

Which is why I would have liked to see Aaliyah come here. She would have solved all of UConn's post player needs during her time here.

It was Aaliyah's choice of where she wanted to go, but I'm sure mom had a great deal of influence in that decision. The word is that mother and daughter are very close. Bottom line: Boston was not destined to come here. So, be ye not concerned with what might have been, but turn the page, and move on to the next recruit, enter Amari DeBerry.

As Geno always says..........."We're going to win with you or without you". I wish Dawn and her program all the best........... except of course when they play UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to disturb your narrative of choice, but you haven't noticed other people saying that the SC game is going to be difficult for UConn?

Yes, I’m quite sorry wish I could acknowledge them as well.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I would love to see SC assume the roll of UConn's new archenemy. It would be a nice change of pace and good for BOTH programs. Dawn will not back out of this series no matter what happens. She's also not afraid to play anyone, anywhere, anytime.

The outlook is for SC to be extremely formidable over the next 5-6 years and beyond. They should remain a constant top 5 program for years to come. As far as the Boston theft, no grudges here. They did exactly what they were suppose to do in recruiting her. They simply did a better job of recruiting her than we did. I think the loss of Marisa Moseley had something to do with it. Bad timing for UConn, but the opportunity for Moseley to go back to her Alma Mater (Boston University) as head coach. An opportunity she could not pass up. As the Chinese Shaolin Master said to Kwai Chang Caine (Grasshopper in the 1970's TV series Kung ) after Kwai Chang snatched to pebbles from his hand "time for you to go". She didn't snatch any pebbles from Geno's hand, or walk on rice paper without leaving any foot prints, but It was time for her to go. :D

Moseley had established a relationship with Boston which Lister could not (not enough time). SC (assistant coach Jolette Law) also did an excellent job recruiting Aaliyah and her mother, wining and dining them like royalty on their official visit. We don't know what if any promises were made to Boston during her recruitment. She was a starter the entire year winning the following awards along the way:

National Freshman of the Year (ESPN, USBWA, WBCA)
Lisa Leslie Center of the Year
All-America Second Team (AP, USBWA)
All-America Honorable Mention (WBCA)
All-SEC First Team
SEC Defensive Player of the Year
SEC Freshman of the Year

Which is why I would have liked to see Aaliyah come here. She would have solved all of UConn's post player needs during her time here.

It was Aaliyah's choice of where she wanted to go, but I'm sure mom had a great deal of influence in that decision. The word is that mother and daughter are very close. Bottom line: Boston was not destined to come here. So, be ye not concerned with what might have been, but turn the page, and move on to the next recruit, enter Amari DeBerry.

As Geno always says..........."We're going to win with you or without you". I wish Dawn and her program all the best........... except of course when they play UConn.
These are absolutely the two top programs on paper (UCONN and South Carolina). I think that this year, like last year, has many teams that could fight for the title. Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor and UCONN seem to be at the head of the class...but...I would not count out any of the top 10 teams at seasons end....just saying....

Reaction Score
1604957245610.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay, I'm sorry. Your use of "finally" gave the false impression that you're abreast of what everyone is saying.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
These are absolutely the two top programs on paper (UCONN and South Carolina). I think that this year, like last year, has many teams that could fight for the title. Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor and UCONN seem to be at the head of the class...but...I would not count out any of the top 10 teams at seasons end....just saying....

That’s very true. A thought,,,,,,,,,,which would you rather be during March madness, lucky or good? Either can take you deep in the tournament.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Good luck if you’re hoping for students to step up and fill Gamecock WBB attendance. I’ve been saying for years the Athletics department needed to calculate average student attendance (or more accurately, non-attendance), and turn a conservative amount of those student section seats into reserved seating.
So much for worrying about attendance. Silver Spur Gamecock Club donors have already gobbled up all of the available lower bowl seats for selection. I had decided it wasn't safe to attend this season, but even with my day being the second day of selection I would have been somewhere in the upper deck. *Maybe* a vaccine will be available early enough that we could have a normal postseason this year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I welcome the rivalry. Having archenemies is what makes sports so much fun. I can never hate any school as much as Clemson, however.

Reaction Score
So much for worrying about attendance. Silver Spur Gamecock Club donors have already gobbled up all of the available lower bowl seats for selection. I had decided it wasn't safe to attend this season, but even with my day being the second day of selection I would have been somewhere in the upper deck. *Maybe* a vaccine will be available early enough that we could have a normal postseason this year.
I’ll be passing on attending this season too. Knowing I had no chance at remaining in the lower bowl seats will make it easier having to take in this season from home. My selection time is Wednesday morning, nosebleeds, if any at all, will likely be what’s left.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
That’s very true. A thought,,,,,,,,,,which would you rather be during March madness, lucky or good? Either can take you deep in the tournament.
I would rather be good, no doubt...luck can maybe get you one or two wins...good gives you a chance every time you hit the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom