South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) - 11/10/19 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

South Carolina (8) @ Maryland (4) - 11/10/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
It's early in the season and both teams will improve. I am very excited about the gamecocks. We have so much potential. At least we play as a team and you can tell the players like each other compared to last years team. Harris and Kiki will show up. It's was only the second game. Harris did a really good job.
We will improve offensively. The only 2 teams that look like title contenders are Oregon and Stanford. I need to see T Cooper lead a team before I am sold on Baylor And trust me this season is wide open.
Lauren Cox is Baylor's leader. Cooper is not exactly a great fit. But a great asset. It took Chloe a while to make her presence felt. But Baylor's biggest strength is that all of their players are two way players. A lot is high on Oregon. N deservingly so. They have a point. But I'm sold on Baylor more because of their Defensive presence.

Reaction Score
It's early in the season and both teams will improve. I am very excited about the gamecocks. We have so much potential. At least we play as a team and you can tell the players like each other compared to last years team. Harris and Kiki will show up. It's was only the second game. Harris did a really good job.
We will improve offensively. The only 2 teams that look like title contenders are Oregon and Stanford. I need to see T Cooper lead a team before I am sold on Baylor And trust me this season is wide open.
The expectations for Ty must be low in Columbia.

Reaction Score
The expectations for Ty must be low in Columbia.

They are not low she on watchlists this year. Ty did do a good job. Was it her best performance? No far from it but she was serviceable in leading her young team to a top 10 victory in November!

Reaction Score
Harris took care of the ball and played good defense. That's what I've come to expect from her.

She ended up having to force quite a few attempts as the clock wound down and I don't hold those against her.

I make that a team problem. I'll be interested to see how the offense looks against quality competition at home. And to see whether the spacing gets a bit better.

Reaction Score
I expected more from Harris and MHH. I've heard elsewhere that MD Austin plays soft or is soft. Hence, her lack of playing time vs Boston. Of course, 2 early fouls didn't help.

Reaction Score
Harris took care of the ball and played good defense. That's what I've come to expect from her.

She ended up having to force quite a few attempts as the clock wound down and I don't hold those against her.

I make that a team problem. I'll be interested to see how the offense looks against quality competition at home. And to see whether the spacing gets a bit better.
The offense will certainly get better. Players like Cooke are literally used to just being able to blow past five defenders, get to the rim, and finish through contact. You could see much of the same thing in Owusu yesterday, she didn't know how to run an offense. It takes most elite freshmen time to adjust to not being able to score at will every time down the floor. The good thing is you have a veteran PG, who knows how to run her team as well as any other PG in the country, will be there to guide them and help them learn.

Reaction Score
The offense will certainly get better. Players like Cooke are literally used to just being able to blow past five defenders, get to the rim, and finish through contact. You could see much of the same thing in Owusu yesterday, she didn't know how to run an offense. It takes most elite freshmen time to adjust to not being able to score at will every time down the floor. The good thing is you have a veteran PG, who knows how to run her team as well as any other PG in the country, will be there to guide them and help them learn.

I liked what I saw from Owusu.

Cooke is trying to do a little too much for me. I'm sure if she continues to force the issue she will have some big nights, but I'd rather the ball moved a bit more.

This team hasn't even shown an interest in taking threes this year and I certainly think that should be part of the mix. But maybe Henderson is the only good three point shooter.

Reaction Score
IMO, Harris is well behind Slocum, Dangerfield, and Kiana Williams.

Boston was a beast in the first half, but she got a little tired. I’d way rather have a freshman who needs a little conditioning work than one who lacks what Boston brings to the table but is well conditioned.

Owusu is a stud. She looked better than Zia Cooke in the freshman PG matchup. Very different games though. Shots and offense will come for Cooke. Owusu is solid, but she didn’t do a great job of running the offense. I think they missed Lewis.

Austin was uber disappointing. She was very good last season.

I love Masonious! Kid is tough as nails. She defended all five positions. Beal similar for SC. She has an interesting shot form that entails her totally moving her head. A little interesting and hasn’t really worked to date, but she is tough and strong.

a reminder.............Masonius is another Jersey Shore Conference recruit.............has a brother who played hockey for UConn and now plays in the Pittsburgh Penguin system I believe............definitely would have loved a UConn offer............

Reaction Score
a reminder.............Masonius is another Jersey Shore Conference recruit.............has a brother who played hockey for UConn and now plays in the Pittsburgh Penguin system I believe............definitely would have loved a UConn offer............
Faith Masonius has been the surprise of the women team thus far. She plays really hard and smart. In the final exhibition game she had 21 points. 15 in the first half. I thought that was an aberration but apparently she is going to be a key rotation player for years at Maryland. Owusu is super talented but still hasn't learn how to run the offense yet. A lot of the problem was Maryland not moving well off the ball. They really missed Channise Lewis Sunday. Great break for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Faith Masonius has been the surprise of the women team thus far. She plays really hard and smart. In the final exhibition game she had 21 points. 15 in the first half. I thought that was an aberration but apparently she is going to be a key rotation player for years at Maryland. Owusu is super talented but still hasn't learn how to run the offense yet. A lot of the problem was Maryland not moving well off the ball. They really missed Channise Lewis Sunday. Great break for South Carolina.

Faith M has always been a hustle player and while not a super athlete she is rock solid in all aspects of the game............she really is a coach's dream and would have added some toughness to UConn who really need it.......... I don't think you'll have any complaints with her contributions and attitude for the next four years...............BTW Diamond Miller another NJ recruit is going to be a great addition although it may take some time for her totally adjust to the college game ...............hyper athletic and hyper competitive.........

Reaction Score

I thought she flashed in the fourth quarter. She and Osuwu were the only two that were having a decent day, I thought.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Shall we actually refer to the stats and the game to make assessments. Ty was 3-14 shooting NOT great. She had 6 rebounds-very good!, she had 4 assists and 3 turnovers NOT good especially for a 4 year starter and someone on a watch list.
I was at the game and she was not good for 60% of the game and neither was MHH as the 2Senior leaders. Ty did a good job in the 4th quarter quelling a comeback with a timely 3 pointer and handling the press and aggressive MD defense. But had she shot better, gotten more assists or turned the ball over less, that last 6 minutes would have been unnecessary.
She did not play well. Don’t put lipstick on this. SC got a big win on the road despite either team playing well. Yes it’s early so I am not overly concerned but Ty did not distinguish herself well (for that matter Charles was even worse!). Owusu while displaying individual talent DID NOT remotely engage her team as the person with the ball and cost her team . She needs to come off the bench as a spark plug until she can make everyone better as a starter. Here’s a telling stat on how poor both teams really played: SC 12 Asst and 15 TO; MD 9 Asst and 9 TO. Humbly submitted DefenseBB :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Owusu will have to start because Channise Lewis has a torn meniscus. She will be out until January.

The stat I used for the game Sunday: Last year Channise Lewis 12 assist this year Maryland 9 assists.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Owusu will have to start because Channise Lewis has a torn meniscus. She will be out until January.

The stat I used for the game Sunday: Last year Channise Lewis 12 assist this year Maryland 9 assists.

That is a tough loss. According to the article

perhaps she should stay out and apply for medical red shirt

"If Lewis misses enough time, Maryland can apply for a medical waiver through the NCAA that would give her another season of eligibility. Otherwise, she would only have one year left with Brenda Frese and the Terps".

Reaction Score
Shall we actually refer to the stats and the game to make assessments. Ty was 3-14 shooting NOT great. She had 6 rebounds-very good!, she had 4 assists and 3 turnovers NOT good especially for a 4 year starter and someone on a watch list.
I was at the game and she was not good for 60% of the game and neither was MHH as the 2Senior leaders. Ty did a good job in the 4th quarter quelling a comeback with a timely 3 pointer and handling the press and aggressive MD defense. But had she shot better, gotten more assists or turned the ball over less, that last 6 minutes would have been unnecessary.
She did not play well. Don’t put lipstick on this. SC got a big win on the road despite either team playing well. Yes it’s early so I am not overly concerned but Ty did not distinguish herself well (for that matter Charles was even worse!). Owusu while displaying individual talent DID NOT remotely engage her team as the person with the ball and cost her team . She needs to come off the bench as a spark plug until she can make everyone better as a starter. Here’s a telling stat on how poor both teams really played: SC 12 Asst and 15 TO; MD 9 Asst and 9 TO. Humbly submitted DefenseBB :oops:

I do not think Harris played poorly.

I've agreed with you that Harris's offense has never developed the way that I hoped it would.

I don't know what else to say about it.

Reaction Score
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Carolina and Ty went on the Road with 3 freshmen starting and got a win. I always find it interesting how Uconn fans dissect other team's struggles early in a season while pacifying their own ills. For all of the negatives that you can put on Ty and Kiki, they held these new freshmen together to get a top 5 victory on the road in their first, " I will say again first road game of their college careers. Now Cal is picked second to least in the PAC 12 but yet they were right there with UConn into the second half. I am sure Uconn will improve as I am that Ty will play up to her preseason accolades as well as Herbert-Harrigan. I chalk some of their lack of production to blending the new freshmen into the team instead of fussing about not getting the ball, etc... that could be toxic for a talented team. The SEC and others no how good Kiki can and will be when needed. Tell me two games into the season what other great PG play we have seen across the country. Teams are still gelling and SC will be fine as will be UConn. Always interesting how we assess our team versus our competitors.

Reaction Score
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Carolina and Ty went on the Road with 3 freshmen starting and got a win. I always find it interesting how Uconn fans dissect other team's struggles early in a season while pacifying their own ills. For all of the negatives that you can put on Ty and Kiki, they held these new freshmen together to get a top 5 victory on the road in their first, " I will say again first road game of their college careers. Now Cal is picked second to least in the PAC 12 but yet they were right there with UConn into the second half. I am sure Uconn will improve as I am that Ty will play up to her preseason accolades as well as Herbert-Harrigan. I chalk some of their lack of production to blending the new freshmen into the team instead of fussing about not getting the ball, etc... that could be toxic for a talented team. The SEC and others no how good Kiki can and will be when needed. Tell me two games into the season what other great PG play we have seen across the country. Teams are still gelling and SC will be fine as will be UConn. Always interesting how we assess our team versus our competitors.
'Sorry for the typos but just had to stop all the Ty bashing I have read. These girls will be there and producing as they have done for four years. In fact, both of these girls have National Championship Rings. As these girls get more comfortable playing together they will only get better. Ugly wins are way better than pretty losses. lol

Reaction Score
'Sorry for the typos but just had to stop all the Ty bashing I have read. These girls will be there and producing as they have done for four years. In fact, both of these girls have National Championship Rings. As these girls get more comfortable playing together they will only get better. Ugly wins are way better than pretty losses. lol

Talk about Ty bashing. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Didi Richards has 17 assists and 3 turnovers! She’s not a point guard but she knows how to pass the ball! Also she’s 10-11 FG m. That’s literally 90 percent! I know Baylor hasn’t played anyone yet but that’s impressive

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think I said many times it was a good win and that there was lots of talent and cohesion to be developed. What I object to is the SC faithful touting Ms Harris as a Star. Her performance was not good for 60% of the game, regardless of what class designation was on the floor. She did not control the game as well as she should have. 12 assists and 15 turnovers as well as her own 4 assist and 3 turnovers attest to this opinion. She did step up halfway through the 4th quarter and sealed the game, which was nice to see. I rank her performance better than either Charles or MHH (who was non-existent), but I would not call it good by any stretch.
As far as my fellow UConn fans and our dissection of other teams, well
1. You are on OUR SITE
2. The SC faithful is loud and aggressive on posting and touting the Gamecocks-how often did we hear all summer about how MHH was mature and ready to score and lead?
3. I like the talent but 15 TOs isn’t good and I still take Texas A&M over SC.
Take umbrage if you want but go and cry at your forum about our opinions on OUR FORUM.
I am so looking forward to beating you again.
:)

Reaction Score
Ty Harris and Herbert-Harrigan are not All-Americans. They’re just not. That’s not bias, they are just not. They are all-conference players, but they are not All-Americans. Let it go!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom