South Carolina (25) @ Purdue - 12/16/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina (25) @ Purdue - 12/16/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Curious. So Miss State is not "Elite." Is South Carolina "Elite?"

I’ve considered Mississippi St elite for a few years now. What’s wrong with that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
............I am mightily concerned in how disjointed this years team is and am worried about her offensive coaching in general and as it pertains to the USA Team.
I’m not too concerned about Dawn’s offensive coaching with team USA as long as Sue and DT decide to show up. She’s smart enough to know they’ll make her look good.

Reaction Score
The correct word would have been “says” and your obviously missing the point of my initial post. Fans of squads that hasn’t won a thing in their conference or has won just ONE regular season championship think they can trash a team like their own squads are world beaters. I’m not riding the Miss St train like the rest of you... SC went through the SEC practically unscathed in 2016 like Miss St did in 2018. But we didn’t beat our chest like we’re unbeatable either. They happen to do that once and now they think they’re a shoe- in for the SEC! Lol it’s really laughable it this will be my last post saying this... they’ll realize it next year when they take the same step back SC did this year. And I highly doubt Miss St will win the SEC the next four years with what they’re losing and what teams like SC and Tenn gain....

Tennessee isn't winning the SEC with Holly as the HC.

I don't care how much talent she has

Reaction Score
Curious. So Miss State is not "Elite." Is South Carolina "Elite?"

Can you be Elite without any championships? The term is carried so loosely nowadays who really knows...

Reaction Score
Tennessee isn't winning the SEC with Holly as the HC.

I don't care how much talent she has

Call it what you want but with a recruit like Horston and what Holly will have back she certainly can win it. That’s too much talent even for her to screw everything up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did you watch the World Cup? That was a great coaching job by Dawn. Considering the amount of time Team USA had together and the revolving door roster, that team gelled incredibly quick and later in the tournament the offensive chemistry and execution was definitely there. Dawn is very adept at adapting her style to her roster and she showed that with Team USA. Anybody that watched the tournament would be confident in her leadership for 2020. The players on Team USA are, not sure why some others can’t get on board.. most of the people that aren’t on board are just anti-Dawn, and that’s fine, but don’t hide behind things like “I question her ability to coach” when you just don’t like her. She’s proven time and time again she can adjust and coach.
I saw all the games, including the medal round in person. USA won because of Stewie, Diana, Sue, Tina, Britney, et al. USA struggled in exhibition games against Canada and Japan. I was not impressed in Dawn's coaching in those games, or any games for that matter. The experienced players gave kudos to Dawn. Were they being sincere or politically correct? We may never know.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw all the games, including the medal round in person. USA won because of Stewie, Diana, Sue, Tina, Britney, et al. USA struggled in exhibition games against Canada and Japan. I was not impressed in Dawn's coaching in those games, or any games for that matter. The experienced players gave kudos to Dawn. Were they being sincere or politically correct? We may never know.
Dawn does deserve credit for letting her great players play and not over coaching them. She also deserves credit for retaining Geno as an adviser to USA WBB.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Can you be Elite without any championships? The term is carried so loosely nowadays who really knows...
Good lord.
1545011469177.png

Reaction Score

I don't know, does one championship suddenly make a program elite?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn played no role in USA Basketball's decision to retain Geno as an adviser.
Well then perhaps I can give Dawn credit for listening to the adviser that USA Basketball retained.

Reaction Score
A win is a win and I don’t know why I see so much chatter from a Florida St fan considering their coach can NEVER beat Dawn when it matters, as well as a Miss St fan whose team is VASTLY overrated and has won ONE SEC regular season title like cmon humble yourself sir ... and no matter how bad SC may be we all know that goes out the window when we play Miss St.
Unfortunately I agree with you. I expect MSST toughest SEC game to be at SC. We seem to have a tough time beating SC especially when we play them at Columbia.

Reaction Score
Well ND only had one championship before this past April..... and most people considered them to be an elite program.
Louisiana Tech has three championships, so are they elite? Was Duke considered to be elite when Coach G was there? Why is Miss St. is considered to be elite by some but they don't consider SC elite even though SC has more success in the same time frame when Miss St. became elite?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I agree with you. I expect MSST toughest SEC game to be at SC. We seem to have a tough time beating SC especially when we play them at Columbia.

I think we’ll have A tough time in Starkville as well but I just wanted to assure everyone that no matter how good or bad either team is, everything including the past records goes out the window. Miss St and SC is now a true rivalry.

Reaction Score
Its been amazing to watch South Carolina and miss st's programs dramatically evolve over the recent years. Dawn and Vic have done wonderful jobs. Both programs will be the cream of the crop in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

Miss St is definitely on the ups with better recruiting these past two years and the addition of some big transfers. The transfer from Ole Miss will be big for Vic next season along with Rickea Jackson. Vic usually gets the most out of his kids and has worked with less talented rosters than others.

South Carolina will be back, its just gonna be one of those years they will have to grind it out, some big guns are on the way with this stacked recruiting class. Boston and Amihere will be problems for a lot of teams.

SCspur, question, why has SC struggled so much with 3 point shooting? There are some talented kids, just a bit stumbled by many shoot the 3 ball for such a low percentage.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well ND only had one championship before this past April..... and most people considered them to be an elite program.
How many FF's and finals did Muffet make before winning her 2nd championship? How many times did UConn deny them a finals berth or another championship? Nevertheless, I too like the way Dawn is doing things at SCar. She was smart to institute an option offense this year and build toward the future. She learns as her charges learn. Just smart BB by building dividends for the future. Option offenses win championships. Period.

Reaction Score

True. But I don't think it was solely due to their national championship. By that token, Maryland and Texas A&M would be "elite" programs.

Reaction Score
I think SC has become an elite program but does not have an elite team as of right now. Although the trophy case is light I see MSST as being elite. Over the past 4 years I would say UCONN, Notre Dame, SC, MSST, Louisville, Maryland and Baylor. I based it on national titles, Final 4s, and conference championships(regular and tournament).

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Elite is a “now” term that exhibits excellence. It can be sustained like UConn’s 23 year run since 1995, or shorter like MSU two FF’s these past 2 years. You need to be a top team in your conference year in year out, be dominant nationally and a top 5 team in 1 of 5 years, top 10 team 3 of 5 years and top 20 in the other year. No more than 8 elite teams exist.
To me, the current elite programs are:
UConn, ND, Baylor, SC, MSU, Stanford, Louisville and Maryland.

Programs that are still relevant but no longer elite (or not yet) are Tenn, Duke, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and OSU.

Again, this is a subjective view,

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

So basically what you’re saying is Team USA won because the very good players played the game?

I mean, sure. The very good players usually play the game in these situations.

In all honesty, it’s really not hard to coach Team USA.. Dawn has said this. They are professionals. You’re not coaching fundamentals or how to play. You’re coaching a game plan to beat your opposition and the players on Team USA are just THAT good to execute any game plan.

What’s considered a good coaching job is mostly subjective if we’re only looking at a series of wins.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How many FF's and finals did Muffet make before winning her 2nd championship? How many times did UConn deny them a finals berth or another championship? Nevertheless, I too like the way Dawn is doing things at SCar. She was smart to institute an option offense this year and build toward the future. She learns as her charges learn. Just smart BB by building dividends for the future. Option offenses win championships. Period.

I was talking to a lower level small college (not sure the division) coach recently about SC’s struggles and she said basically this. No, I don’t think it’s a throwaway season... but SC is changing up everything we’ve done offensively for the last 5 years. This is a learning year for the players and coaches in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom