South Carolina (25) @ Purdue - 12/16/18 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

South Carolina (25) @ Purdue - 12/16/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tennessee isn't winning the SEC with Holly as the HC.

I don't care how much talent she has
Well, she has already won the SEC twice so you might be off in your perspective.
There is also the prospect that this years team has so much raw talent and the SEC is way down in talent that the Lady Vols could win the conference despite Holly

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So basically what you’re saying is Team USA won because the very good players played the game?

I mean, sure. The very good players usually play the game in these situations.

In all honesty, it’s really not hard to coach Team USA.. Dawn has said this. They are professionals. You’re not coaching fundamentals or how to play. You’re coaching a game plan to beat your opposition and the players on Team USA are just THAT good to execute any game plan.

What’s considered a good coaching job is mostly subjective if we’re only looking at a series of wins.
Umm, NO, JUST NO! You need to look no farther than what the NBA players struggled with until they assigned Coach K to take them. Coaches are the difference makers to get a team to play together.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was talking to a lower level small college (not sure the division) coach recently about SC’s struggles and she said basically this. No, I don’t think it’s a throwaway season... but SC is changing up everything we’ve done offensively for the last 5 years. This is a learning year for the players and coaches in my opinion.
And when that new class hits the campus all that she and her charges have learned will be applied next year and every year after. You can't be a team with an offense stuck in amber like Holly or Aston who's playing a double post for Budda's sake. Now if someone like say Mulkey or Brenda bit the bullet they and their great recruiting classes would actually contend. Plus Dawn schedules a much tougher OOC than the other four. Smart woman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its been amazing to watch South Carolina and miss st's programs dramatically evolve over the recent years. Dawn and Vic have done wonderful jobs. Both programs will be the cream of the crop in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

Miss St is definitely on the ups with better recruiting these past two years and the addition of some big transfers. The transfer from Ole Miss will be big for Vic next season along with Rickea Jackson. Vic usually gets the most out of his kids and has worked with less talented rosters than others.

South Carolina will be back, its just gonna be one of those years they will have to grind it out, some big guns are on the way with this stacked recruiting class. Boston and Amihere will be problems for a lot of teams.

SCspur, question, why has SC struggled so much with 3 point shooting? There are some talented kids, just a bit stumbled by many shoot the 3 ball for such a low percentage.
I realize your question was for SCspur but I would like to comment. I believe both SC and Mizzou are both having problems adjusting to a new offense. Both of those coaches are strong advocates of Positionless BB, I saw Marquette play that style against MSST and it was great BB but it takes unique players and teamwork plus you must be HOT from 3 point land for it to really click. That style has not really been established at SC or Mizzou and I believe that is part of the problem both teams have experienced. UCONN has used positionless BB for a while with success but they have the players and teamwork to pull it off.

Reaction Score
Enjoy our losses this season because help is on the way next season.

Herbert Harrigan has been one of the more consistent players for South Car all season, do you think she will remain a start or be moved to the bench in favor of Boston and Amihere? If I was Dawn I would go small and start Amihere and Herbert Harrigan, bring Boston off the bench.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Herbert Harrigan has been one of the more consistent players for South Car all season, do you think she will remain a start or be moved to the bench in favor of Boston and Amihere? If I was Dawn I would go small and start Amihere and Herbert Harrigan, bring Boston off the bench.

Herbert-Harrigan is such an enigma to me. She could be so good but she just doesn’t have a consistent enough motor.. sometimes she gives minimal effort and this team depends on her way too much for that.

Offensively she’s great, she can shoot and attack the basket but her confidence wavers and she second guesses herself. Hence, the enigma. She’s a mismatch but I’m not sure if she knows it.

Reaction Score
Umm, NO, JUST NO! You need to look no farther than what the NBA players struggled with until they assigned Coach K to take them. Coaches are the difference makers to get a team to play together.
"Coaches are the difference makers" - truer words have never been spoken!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well ND only had one championship before this past April..... and most people considered them to be an elite program.
True. But I don't think it was solely due to their national championship. By that token, Maryland and Texas A&M would be "elite" programs.

Does not get in the way of the main points of your posts, but we Irish treasure the few championships we do have....ND has won two (2) and the second one was even in this century (barely) in 2001. :rolleyes: Somewhat appropriate for this thread because they beat Purdue. That Irish team was led by a frew of ND's favorite daughters -- Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey and Alicia Ratay, who could fire away from three with the best of them (heck, she was one of the best of them).

Reaction Score
I see a lot of ppl don’t think Miss St is good. I thought that last year until they went to the final four. They have a good coach who can get more done with less talent. The epitome of “Hard work beats...” — I would NOT count them out.

Reaction Score

I got Boston as much more likely to get starting minutes than Amihere.

Dawn does what she does with lineups so anyone's guess who she will end up actually starting the games, particularly early on.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of ppl don’t think Miss St is good. I thought that last year until they went to the final four. They have a good coach who can get more done with less talent. The epitome of “Hard work beats...” — I would NOT count them out.

You didn't think Miss State was "good" last year?

Reaction Score
Herbert-Harrigan is such an enigma to me. She could be so good but she just doesn’t have a consistent enough motor.. sometimes she gives minimal effort and this team depends on her way too much for that.

Offensively she’s great, she can shoot and attack the basket but her confidence wavers and she second guesses herself. Hence, the enigma. She’s a mismatch but I’m not sure if she knows it.

She doesn't really have the feel for knowing when to go and when not to go.

I don't think she wants it very bad.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Although Te’a Cooper has led the team in scoring, Dawn has apparently concluded that her hero ball has come at the expense of the team. Against Purdue she came off the bench and, though she played about 20 minutes, seemed to be on a leash of sorts.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
She doesn't really have the feel for knowing when to go and when not to go.

I don't think she wants it very bad.

My #1 problem with her as a player. And it’s fine to be that way at most programs, but not SC, and there comes a point when youre a hindrance to your team. Dawn is extremely patient with her players, too patient at times IMO... but she’s the coach. She sees these players more in a week than I will in my life probably. I digress.

Reaction Score
You didn't think Miss State was "good" last year?
I didn’t until February/March came around and they were still winning. I really, truly believe Vic is a good coach. The first time they went to the final four it was a totally different team than last year. Now they have a totally different team this and they still seem to be performing well. The only talent he has had was Victoria Vivians and look what he’s done. I don’t underestimate this guy at all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn’t until February/March came around and they were still winning. I really, truly believe Vic is a good coach. The first time they went to the final four it was a totally different team than last year. Now they have a totally different team this and they still seem to be performing well. The only talent he has had was Victoria Vivians and look what he’s done. I don’t underestimate this guy at all.
There is one constant = Tiera McGowan.

Reaction Score

I don't think it was that different.

Morgan William, Vivians, McCowan were all returning starters.

Holmes, Schaeffer, Johnson were contributors.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was that different.

Morgan William, Vivians, McCowan were all returning starters.

Holmes, Schaeffer, Johnson were contributors.
Have you seen the Geno quote, “..just because you getting the players back doesn’t mean you have the same team?” McCowan’s breakout year was this past year; she didn’t do much her sophomore year. Holmes, Shaeffer, and Johnson only started one year after barely playing the year before. He took all those players and made them a Nat’l runner up two years in a row. The first time they went they also had Dominque Dillingham and Breanna Richardson. Each year they’ve had completely different identities. With Vic being a defensive guy, his teams do a helluva job on offense. Dawn needs to take a page out of his book if you ask me. Yes, she’s beaten him a lot but all of those matchups were won because Miss St seem intimidated by them from my point of view.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the Geno quote, “..just because you getting the players back doesn’t mean you have the same team?” McCowan’s breakout year was this past year; she didn’t do much her sophomore year. Holmes, Shaeffer, and Johnson only started one year after barely playing the year before. He took all those players and made them a Nat’l runner up two years in a row. The first time they went they also had Dominque Dillingham and Breanna Richardson. Each year they’ve had completely different identities. With Vic being a defensive guy, his teams do a helluva job on offense. Dawn needs to take a page out of his book if you ask me. Yes, she’s beaten him a lot but all of those matchups were won because Miss St seem intimidated by them from my point of view.

I had every expectation that Miss State would be good last year based on who they returned and that turned out to be the case.

I was mildly surprised that they made it back to the title game and nearly won it, but no shock at all they were contenders in the SEC and for the Final Four.

Reaction Score
As defensive minded as I know Vic is, why has he not changed the way he defends that screen? Same play every time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom