South Carolina #1 in AP Poll [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina #1 in AP Poll [Merged Thread]

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
SC is the best team in the country right now. Have both size and athleticism. Boston is a generational talent - 25 rebounds. Are u kidding me!

It was against Arkansas who play Dungee at the 4.

It that more impressive than Natasha Mack who already has three games this season with at least 20 rebounds? (ncaa stats)

Reaction Score
I was hoping that Oregon State would take care of business Sunday, because I dont think they have been ranked #1 in any sport outside of baseball in the school's existence. Would have been nice for them to reach that milestone.
They were overrated going into the weekend and fell appropriately.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a difference between the best team in the country and who is/should be #1. Unless a team goes on a sustained unbeaten run, and IS the best team in the nation, you aren't always going to see who is ranked #1 be the best team.

Personally I think Baylor is the best team in the nation at the moment. Cox is back and playing well. They have all their pieces now. But SC deserves to be ranked #1, and there they will stay, no matter what Baylor does, as long as they continue to win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There's a difference between the best team in the country and who is/should be #1. Unless a team goes on a sustained unbeaten run, and IS the best team in the nation, you aren't always going to see who is ranked #1 be the best team.

Personally I think Baylor is the best team in the nation at the moment. Cox is back and playing well. They have all their pieces now. But SC deserves to be ranked #1, and there they will stay, no matter what Baylor does, as long as they continue to win.
I think the 2 best teams are Baylor and Oregon in some order. I think S.C. is too young, but we'll see how they do. No offense to the Tennessee, State, and other fans, but I think the Gamecocks have an easy time in-conference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
SC is the best team in the country right now. Have both size and athleticism. Boston is a generational talent - 25 rebounds. Are u kidding me!
She's 7th in the nation in blocked shots, but not in the top-50 in rebounding. I think she's good and will get better, but "generational" seems like an overstatement to me.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize she had put up performances like that. She only had 2 against Baylor yesterday.

Man Oklahoma St. got murdered on the boards in that game however I thought we were talking about individual game performances.

For overall performance you can look at the Rebounding Rate stat (estimate of % of rebounds grabbed while on the floor. Per wiki)

Per Her Hoops Data (HHD)

Boston is 18th in Offensive Rebounding Rate (HHD) and Mack is 16th in Defensive Rebounding Rate (HHD) but neither is in the Top 25 for Total Rebounding Rate (HHD)

Reaction Score
Likely 8-10 teams that could win championship. Likely will depend on match ups. UConn core group should beat most, could beat all. Where we may not have an answer is if we have to play one of the few teams with a dominate center. Still too early in year to get a full read just based on Baylor game.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I don't want to get involved in an argument about whether Boston is a "generational talent" as I think you do that after someone's career is over, but she only plays 23 minutes/game, so you have to consider that when looking at stats.
That will be the key for South Carolina during the exhaustive tournament run. They are already conditioned to play 8 or 9 players each game with meaningful minutes. I really like how Dawn has brought them along.

Reaction Score
She's 7th in the nation in blocked shots, but not in the top-50 in rebounding. I think she's good and will get better, but "generational" seems like an overstatement to me.

she's second in rebounding on a Per 40 basis.

Staley is not taxing her minutes wise.

noting for the record, I'm still not claiming she's a generational player and would point out it again appears to be a UCONN fan that said it.

Reaction Score
I don't want to get involved in an argument about whether Boston is a "generational talent" as I think you do that after someone's career is over, but she only plays 23 minutes/game, so you have to consider that when looking at stats.

Her impact compared to other freshman post these last couple of years are second to none. Remains to be seen whether she’s generational or not but she easily has been the best post out of HS in 5 years or maybe even longer!

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I believe Dawn holding down their minutes pg will help with mostly avoiding the freshman wall. We shall see.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things different about South Carolina this year: the better chemistry, Zia Cooke, pride in defense, depth, passing etc.

But in my view Boston fuels all of it.

I think you could have put her on last season's team and made that team a actual contender though it wouldn't have been as good as this group I don't think.

Reaction Score

Or at least until she's played 20 games...:confused:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I believe Dawn holding down their minutes pg will help with mostly avoiding the freshman wall. We shall see.
I actually think Baylor has a very good team...but...these fans of theirs seem to think they are better that South Carolina with Cox while ignoring the fact that these freshmen were in high school last year and are only "now" becoming elite college players. If the Baylor/South Carolina game was played now....I am not sure Baylor has any advantage with Cox back. The South Carolina team has gotten better since that game...so...you can't ignore that and be truthful about a sure win with Cox back in the line up. I think that if you take the "role" players....I would give the advantage to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Baylor, Oregon, South Carolina, Oregon St., Louisville, UCLA, and Connecticut. Princeton deserves to be ranked. They have one of the best players in the country, Bella Alarie.

Reaction Score
I am a first time poster on this board and I am a UCLA basketball fan. I believe South Carolina is overrated and their ranking is based mostly on their recruiting class, they lost to an average Indiana basketball team by 14 pts that lost to UCLA at home by 10 pts. They kind of remind me of Kentucky men's basketball team. The Kentucky mens basketball team have been underperforming as of late when it comes to NCAA tournament but every year they are expected to be number 1 and contend for championship based on their recruiting exclusively 5 star high school players.

Reaction Score
I am a first time poster on this board and I am a UCLA basketball fan. I believe South Carolina is overrated and their ranking is based mostly on their recruiting class, they lost to an average Indiana basketball team by 14 pts that lost to UCLA at home by 10 pts. They kind of remind me of Kentucky men's basketball team. The Kentucky mens basketball team have been underperforming as of late when it comes to NCAA tournament but every year they are expected to be number 1 and contend for championship based on their recruiting exclusively 5 star high school players.

Funny you say that because I would love a matchup between UCLA and SC. I hope that happens I don’t see any advantages for UCLA outside of Onyenwere and even she would have her hands full with HH both defensively and offensively. That same “average” Indiana team was your teams best win, while SC has beaten 5 top 25 teams and UCLA has only beaten two yet were overrated? Lol when UCLA finally plays a real test ( Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford) then you can come back and have some legitimacy but until then you should be the last person calling a team overrated..

Reaction Score
I had UCLA 3rd on my ballot, but I feel like taking it back now. :)

Anyways, South Carolina was rated 8th and 10th in the preseason polls.

Evidently there was a great deal of debate about whether to rank South Carolina ahead of a team it beat by 15 points on a neutral floor a month ago so I'm not sure there is a great deal of national interest in overrating the Gamecocks.

But, the games will tell us if they haven't already.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn fan and neutral on SC and UCLA. I think SC would destroy UCLA. SC has better players, 3 of whom are very young and improving faster than UCLA's players. Plus SC has a coaching advantage. I am not impressed with Close. UCLA has had an easy schedule so far, which continues this week and next week. It will catch up to them. I had UCLA 8th on my BY poll ballot Monday, and I thought that was generous.

That said, if I turn out to be wrong and UCLA ends up actually being an elite team, that's fine with me. They play ASU in Tempe on Super Bowl Sunday (game is at noon, so no conflict with the Super Bowl) and I'm looking forward to going to see them play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom