Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president

Reaction Score
Sources say University of Virginia provost is finalist for UConn president

>>Katsouleas, 60, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday night, is an inventor and researcher who taught at the University of Southern California for 14 years and served as dean of the engineering school at Duke University for seven years before arriving as provost — the chief academic officer — at the University of Virginia in 2015.<<

>>Katsouleas has two physics degrees from UCLA, earning a B.S. in 1979 and a Ph.D in 1984. He began a career in teaching and researching physics, electrical engineering and computer science at USC.

In a biography online at UVa, he says, ”My research uses plasmas and lasers to miniaturize particle accelerators, the world’s largest engineered devices, for applications from discovering new forms of matter and energy to beam therapy for tumors and novel imaging tools.”

He grew up in California, where he was an ocean lifeguard in Los Angeles County for decades, beginning as a teenager, and an avid sailor.<<

A lifeguard? We need a lifeguard for the football and athletics teams...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

what is with these people.

YES THE ONLY REASON ANYONE GIVES A FIG ABOUT WHO THE PRESIDENT OF UCONN IS BECAUSE WE ARE DYING IN THE AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE.

And for the love of God - stop pushing the Red Sox Yankees question like you are in fourth grade. We had the guts to ask the tough questions that everyone is demanding answers to!!!

Reaction Score
Don't need to. Article has been posted here 1,000 times and everyone here has read it. It was in the Boston Globe then the Washington Post. ADs were quoted--one AD had to write an open letter apology to the entire ACC for revealing the information. Even ESPN was livid about it. It's so well known. This was the 2011 decision. The 2013 decision? There was an article on that too explaining, one, that Duke and UNC were genuinely peeved that one school didn't "want the competition" and, two, the AD of Louisville explained that proceedings had moved so rapidly that UConn was "inked" in as a member of the ACC.

I quoted the BC AD from that Washington Post article...and you objected to that quote..LOL

I quoted the Clemson AD...you objected to that quote

I quoted Swofford...you objected to that quote.

Until you post quotes...man, you be woofing.

Reaction Score
Upstater...Jurich did say...

In the Hartford Courant article:

"So, when Maryland left the ACC for the Big Ten and the pundits predicted that UConn — academically ranked as one of the top 25 public universities in the country — would be the school to get the ACC invitation, Jurich worked the people he knew. After he won, he said, "We were definitely the underdogs. People had UConn not penciled in, but penned in."

But he is talking about the pundits....the decision makers didn't have UConn penned in....

The Headline of the Article?

UCONN Never Had A chance..

UConn Never Really Had A Chance Vs. Louisville For ACC Berth

And within that article, I think that this is the real story:

"UConn faces challenges with a lack of local talent, interest in professional sports regionally, a more popular game [basketball] on its own campus ... so wherever the Huskies end up, there will be challenges no matter what," said Scott Kennedy, director of scouting for Fox Sports Net.

Reaction Score
I quoted the BC AD from that Washington Post article...and you objected to that quote..LOL

I quoted the Clemson AD...you objected to that quote

I quoted Swofford...you objected to that quote.

Until you post quotes...man, you be woofing.

I've been accused of posting that article too many times. That's why I'm not doing it again. I'm not doing it to help you out of your ignorance again.

Reaction Score
Upstater...Jurich did say...

In the Hartford Courant article:

"So, when Maryland left the ACC for the Big Ten and the pundits predicted that UConn — academically ranked as one of the top 25 public universities in the country — would be the school to get the ACC invitation, Jurich worked the people he knew. After he won, he said, "We were definitely the underdogs. People had UConn not penciled in, but penned in."

But he is talking about the pundits....the decision makers didn't have UConn penned in....

The Headline of the Article?

UCONN Never Had A chance..

UConn Never Really Had A Chance Vs. Louisville For ACC Berth

And within that article, I think that this is the real story:

"UConn faces challenges with a lack of local talent, interest in professional sports regionally, a more popular game [basketball] on its own campus ... so wherever the Huskies end up, there will be challenges no matter what," said Scott Kennedy, director of scouting for Fox Sports Net.

No, he was not talking about the pundits. You're wrong.

Besides, this was 2013. I was talking about 2011.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Woah... woah... woah... stop the clock. That should literally be his only plan.

What's the precedent for new university presidents coming out and saying so explicitly the day they're announced?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
What's the precedent for new university presidents coming out and saying so explicitly the day they're announced?
Stain... I say this with peace and love... What part of my post was serious? Thought maybe the emphasis of “only” in italics in regards to the only thing our new University president’s should be concerned about was a dead giveaway or maybe my Ronnie Mund reference.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stain... I say this with peace and love... What part of my post was serious? Thought maybe the emphasis of “only” in italics in regards to the only thing our new University president’s should be concerned about was a dead giveaway or maybe my Ronnie Mund reference.

My apologies...saw a lot of people elsewhere on the interwebs who were more serious about that and mistakenly roped you in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom