Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president

Reaction Score
particle physics holds the keys to the universe, from Cooper pairs to Josephson Junctions to quantum coherence to flux qbits to machines that were only theories a few years ago.
Glad I only did a half-hearted minor in physics when getting a BS in math. Today I would never attempt that.

In any event your academic record doesn't count until you get to grad school. Then you are playing for keeps and I couldn't move to engineering quickly enough. Stieltjes integrals? I don't think so!

Reaction Score
Don't confuse me with Billybud. He is a FSU supporter. ESPN pulled all the strings. BC, Cuse Clemson, NC State, FSU and I believe GT were all against UConn. Cuse didn't have vote, but Cuse is ESPN, so six of one half dozen of the other. I don't see a physicist as someone who will promote athletics. Just my opinion. I don't the man. I am picturing a continuation of the current status.
Sorry Buddy, I thought you two were brothers.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob....

You are having residual memories of internet gossip re votes....

Only the participants actually know the straw votes...never put on paper.

'splain me this Lusee...How would anyone know how that straw vote went?

I have certainly helped fuel that gossip over the years by posting my thoughts that the football schools, led by Clemson and FSU, squared off with Coach K's cabal.

But..saying that...nobody has been telling...All we do know is that members of the Expansion Committee have gone on record with how important football was re expansion.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob....

You are having residual memories of internet gossip re votes....

Only the participants actually know the straw votes...never put on paper.

'splain me this Lusee...How would anyone know how that straw vote went?

I have certainly helped fuel that gossip over the years by posting my thoughts that the football schools, led by Clemson and FSU, squared off with Coach K's cabal.

But..saying that...nobody has been telling...All we do know is that members of the Expansion Committee have gone on record with how important football was re expansion.
Hey "billybud", you know what, people eventually open their mouths. It's not as big a secret as you think.

Reaction Score
Don't confuse me with Billybud.

I don't see a physicist as someone who will promote athletics. Just my opinion. I don't the man. I am picturing a continuation of the current status.

This is why we don’t have nice things.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
A big research guy? AAU (and B1G) here we come! ;)
1549057965811.png

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn in B10 and in AAU, but that may be bit of stretch.
I still think we have better chance at ACC, and even that may be reaching for the clouds.

Reaction Score
Hey, less than 880 yards ... er, excuse me, 800 meters ... from the Rent sits one of the world's premier aerospace installations. Why shouldn't UConn have a prolific physicist president? Especially one with another completely different side to his persona?

Haha, I was taking a thermodynamics course from the physics department one time in my UConn graduate career. As an engineer. For a cross cultural experience. And I had been warned. The culture shock was pretty significant when I used the wrong units one time. I got a short lecture on my paper when it was returned. "Physics has not used [those units] now for almost a century." And they were not even EE units (which I knew very well not to use). ;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There was one vote....and it is was unanimous. The straw votes, if any, are never made public and who voted how is internet conjecture.

The conference usually has one official vote...and it is a unanimous one
Actually, I believe that Cuse was only a prospective member at the time. They were not in favor of our joining but they did not have a vote.

Back to the more important issue, Katsouleas seem to be a good choice. I like the idea (obvious in retrospect) of utilizing existing resources and expertise to create specialty areas that would be marketable and productive.

Reaction Score
Actually, I believe that Cuse was only a prospective member at the time. They were not in favor of our joining but they did not have a vote.

Back to the more important issue, Katsouleas seem to be a good choice. I like the idea (obvious in retrospect) of utilizing existing resources and expertise to create specialty areas that would be marketable and productive.
I met Katsouleas briefly a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I would love to see UConn in B10 and in AAU, but that may be bit of stretch.
I still think we have better chance at ACC, and even that may be reaching for the clouds.
It's not, we have to straighten things out and market what we have here. If we screw this up, epic failure. I mean the B1G.

We're a shoo-in for the ACC or Big 12.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that UConn ever came up for an ACC vote.

I am sure that there was discussion and Coach K liked UConn....but once Swofford put forward that football was driving force that would allow upgraded media contracts and the perceived weak point of the conference...all else became a moot point.

Yes...BC liked not having local competition...but I also believe it was ESPN's media estimates and advice, along with the ACC football schools agreeing, that knocked UConn out of the running.

There are just dozens of news articles about it, but I guess we'll trust your rumors more because you're an insider.

Reaction Score
Is he hired already? Because it is shocking that someone's name is out there who has not been already hired. This stuff is supposed to be super secretive for obvious reasons. If word gets out that people talk at your school, you will only attract the worst candidates and biggest losers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is he hired already? Because it is shocking that someone's name is out there who has not been already hired. This stuff is supposed to be super secretive for obvious reasons. If word gets out that people talk at your school, you will only attract the worst candidates and biggest losers.

god forbid an overpriced administrator have their name revealed to the taxpayers who pay their bloated salaries

the. horror.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom