Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president | The Boneyard

Sources say University of Virginia provost Thomas C. Katsouleas is finalist for UConn president

Reaction Score
Sources say University of Virginia provost is finalist for UConn president

>>Katsouleas, 60, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday night, is an inventor and researcher who taught at the University of Southern California for 14 years and served as dean of the engineering school at Duke University for seven years before arriving as provost — the chief academic officer — at the University of Virginia in 2015.<<

>>Katsouleas has two physics degrees from UCLA, earning a B.S. in 1979 and a Ph.D in 1984. He began a career in teaching and researching physics, electrical engineering and computer science at USC.

In a biography online at UVa, he says, ”My research uses plasmas and lasers to miniaturize particle accelerators, the world’s largest engineered devices, for applications from discovering new forms of matter and energy to beam therapy for tumors and novel imaging tools.”

He grew up in California, where he was an ocean lifeguard in Los Angeles County for decades, beginning as a teenager, and an avid sailor.<<

Reaction Score
Sources say University of Virginia provost is finalist for UConn president

>>Katsouleas, 60, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday night, is an inventor and researcher who taught at the University of Southern California for 14 years and served as dean of the engineering school at Duke University for seven years before arriving as provost — the chief academic officer — at the University of Virginia in 2015.<<

>>Katsouleas has two physics degrees from UCLA, earning a B.S. in 1979 and a Ph.D in 1984. He began a career in teaching and researching physics, electrical engineering and computer science at USC.

In a biography online at UVa, he says, ”My research uses plasmas and lasers to miniaturize particle accelerators, the world’s largest engineered devices, for applications from discovering new forms of matter and energy to beam therapy for tumors and novel imaging tools.”

He grew up in California, where he was an ocean lifeguard in Los Angeles County for decades, beginning as a teenager, and an avid sailor.<<
Thank goodness, someone who is data driven. A physicist. The description of his research doesn't tell us much though. Doing that much life guarding though tells us he must be a sports guy. Like that a lot too.

Reaction Score
Katsouleas got caught in an administration change when Ryan became UVA President...

He was recently replaced by Liz Magill.

"Provost Thomas Katsouleas is stepping down and will serve until his successor can begin. According to the email, Katsouleas was originally planning to leave the position at the end of the 2017-18 academic year but will remain in his role during the search process. Earlier this year, Katsouleas was notably a finalist to be the next president of the University of Utah, but Utah administrator Ruth Watkins was ultimately hired for the job."

He is a much respected research guy and I am very much surprised that Virginia passed him by...politics, I guess.

Reaction Score
My question is how quickly will he replace AD David Benedict? Hopefully not, although these folks usually like to have their own people in key roles.

Reaction Score
My question is how quickly will he replace AD David Benedict? Hopefully not, although these folks usually like to have their own people in key roles.

I'd rather know how he plans to rebuild the athletics side of the program and what his vision is for a return to athletic greatness. The AD simply implements the plan; I need the vision. Otherwise, it's all plasma and lasers to me

Reaction Score
He obviously knows the people at UVA and maybe Duke if the ACC is thinking about us. Now, all he has to do is convince them, something that Duke alumna Herbst could not do.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
He obviously knows the people at UVA and maybe Duke if the ACC is thinking about us. Now, all he has to do is convince them, something that Duke alumna Herbst could not do.

Or, he is already aware of the planned upcoming B1G expansion to 20 teams that includes Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, and UConn and wants to get in early and be the 'savior' of UConn athletics.;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In before the UConn to ACC or UConn and UVA to the Big 10 rumors start
Or, he is already aware of the planned upcoming B1G expansion to 20 teams that includes Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, and UConn and wants to get in early and be the 'savior' of UConn athletics.;)
Like clockwork.

Reaction Score
1548874975469.png

Heard during the interview - "On my downtime I'm willing to watch over Long Island Sound if that helps me get the job"

Reaction Score
Careful there, buddy, Connecticut has not yet legalized. Those trips to Mass are still illegal.

Reaction Score
Katsouleas got caught in an administration change when Ryan became UVA President...

He was recently replaced by Liz Magill.

"Provost Thomas Katsouleas is stepping down and will serve until his successor can begin. According to the email, Katsouleas was originally planning to leave the position at the end of the 2017-18 academic year but will remain in his role during the search process. Earlier this year, Katsouleas was notably a finalist to be the next president of the University of Utah, but Utah administrator Ruth Watkins was ultimately hired for the job."

He is a much respected research guy and I am very much surprised that Virginia passed him by...politics, I guess.
Don't you ever take a break??? Thanks buddy for your usual backhanded negativity.

Reaction Score
such as...

"He is a much respected research guy and I am very much surprised that Virginia passed him by...politics, I guess."

Nothing at all back handed...noting politics. Heck, I moved at an administrative change. ...new guys want their own team.

Reaction Score
Like clockwork.
Duke was all for the move, they voted for us IIRC, the ones he would have to convince would be Boston College, FSU, and Cuse. I think he could do that, and BC has softened their stance against us recently, or so I'm told.

Reaction Score
Duke was all for the move, they voted for us IIRC, the ones he would have to convince would be Boston College, FSU, and Cuse. I think he could do that, and BC has softened their stance against us recently, or so I'm told.

I don't believe that UConn ever came up for an ACC vote.

I am sure that there was discussion and Coach K liked UConn....but once Swofford put forward that football was driving force that would allow upgraded media contracts and the perceived weak point of the conference...all else became a moot point.

Yes...BC liked not having local competition...but I also believe it was ESPN's media estimates and advice, along with the ACC football schools agreeing, that knocked UConn out of the running.

Reaction Score

I am sure that there was discussion and Coach K liked UConn....but once Swofford put forward that football was driving force that would allow upgraded media contracts and the perceived weak point of the conference...all else became a moot point.

Yes...BC liked not having local competition...but I also believe it was ESPN's media estimates and advice, along with the ACC football schools agreeing, that knocked UConn out of the running.
This is BS revisionist history. At the time there would've been a vote, UConn was still an okay football option. I don't think Louisville was perceived as a slam dunk football program over UConn by most people. We hit a rough patch under PP, but we wouldn't have been excluded from a vote because of it.

Reaction Score
Don't you ever take a break??? Thanks buddy for your usual backhanded negativity.
Has it ever occurred to you that you might be a little oversensitive to someone calling it as they see it without being like a rah rah pollyanna with rose colored glasses? Give us a break with your objections to what you perceive as "negativity". Who appointed you as the negativity police, anyway?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

BB this has been discussed ad nauseum... ESPN wanted UConn and Syracuse, and Gene DeFilippo (on the expansion committee) put forth Pitt and Cuse instead even though UConn had support from tobacco road plus UVA and Maryland.

When it came to replacing Maryland, it was reported that the presidents voted (informally) on each expansion candidate and no candidate received the requisite 3/4 majority. They ended up only formally voting on Louisville the following morning since they received the most votes in the informal vote.

Reaction Score
I understand the Cuse voted against us and they’re still not NYCs team.

There was one vote....and it is was unanimous. The straw votes, if any, are never made public and who voted how is internet conjecture.

The conference usually has one official vote...and it is a unanimous one

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom