Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
And yes, Jennifer Anderson is coming over to my house for sex only.

If you're lucky, she'll bring her chaise lounge with her. I hear she's good with her hands...

Jennifer Anderson Studio Furniture | Furniture | Lounge

JenniferAnderson-MudChair.JPG

Reaction Score
No way. If we any chance to go to the Big 12, it's all or nothing.

This isn't happening, but the thought that we'd turn down moving football to the XII and everything else to the Big East if Fox wanted to show us the money is laughable. Yes, we need protection about needing to go full to the XII if they ever break away from the NCAA, but barring that the Big East for all sports has a lot of advantages as to rivalries and travel, and that deal would put us light years ahead of where we are now.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
And yes, Jennifer Anderson is coming over to my house for sex only.

Who is Jennifer Anderson? Should I be jealous?

Just looked her up. The assistant professor of business administration at Weber St? Yes, I am now jealous.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who is Jennifer Anderson? Should I be jealous?

Just looked her up. The assistant professor of business administration at Weber St? Yes, I am now jealous.

Please, bring McLovin back. Anything but what you have right now.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is nearly as far fetched as you guys are making it out to be. When you step back from the situation and look at each interest involved it actually makes some sense.

ESPN doesn't' want to lose the AAC which they own for pennies on the dollar and neither FOX or ESPN want to shell out nearly a billion to add 4 schools to the Big 12.

When yo look at what the Big 12 wants adding schools isn't' really the priority, adding a CCG, increasing payouts, and increasing the chances a Big 12 schools gets in the playoff, are the goals they are after. This actually accomplished most of what they are after.

The Big 12 could easily decide that this accomplishes what they are after in the short term and this will allow them to monitor the landscape the next few years before they decide to let BYU and UConn join as full members and move forward with some sort of a conference network when these t-3 deals come to an end. Grab the 2 most valuable brands out there while not having to deal with the travel issues and other challenges BYU presents.

It's fun to say that Texas and OU are going to leave everyone behind but when you think about what that would actually take to happen it becomes apparent that them leaving is very unlikely for many reasons. Texas is quite happy with it's current situation and has no reason to go elsewhere. OU hs show to be unhappy but if 2/3 borens demands are met with a long term plan for a network OU really has no reason to leave either. Those fans who think OU is going to announce they are leaving the conference without a major show to follow aren't' being realistic as nothing similar has ever happened in realignment.

Reaction Score
Joining the BE in all sports but Football will get UConn a bit more than $500K. If the BE TV Deal is worth $500 Mil over 12 years, with 11 members that comes out to $3.78 Mil per team, per year.

So in this pipe dream of a fantasy, UConn athletics would be getting about $8.78 Mil for their FB and BB, not including Hockey East deal and whether UConn would be able to get anything for their T3 Football rights (unclear if the BE schools retain their T3 Hoops rights).
I was being extreme on the $500K.... Are you sure on the $3.8M figure?
pretty sad that Seton Hall bb gets $3.78M yet Uconn in the AAC gets roughly the same (before the Big East credits)...

Reaction Score
So now my post require moderator approval? LOL. Jeezus you folks are uptight.
It has nothing to do with what you are posting. It seems to happen when it takes a long time to compose the post. Here is what you do. Just copy the post and and post it again. Delete the post that says that it is awaiting moderator approval. That is what has worked for me.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 12 will invite two football only members, BUT, if they did, BYU and UConn are the only possibilities. Why? Both schools could find another conference for their other sports, the WCC for BYU and the Big East for UConn. None of the other candidates have the option of moving their non-football sports to a legitamate conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 12 will invite two football only members, BUT, if they did, BYU and UConn are the only possibilities. Why? Both schools could find another conference for their other sports, the WCC for BYU and the Big East for UConn. None of the other candidates have the option of moving their non-football sports to a legitamate conference.
Only problem with this logic is that it assumes that the Big 12 is concerned about anyone but themselves.

Reaction Score

True to some degree but just about any school in the Pacific or Mountain time zone could dump their other sports in the WCC, Big West, Summit, or possibly the Big Sky. I believe Hawaii already does this and there is no reason someone like Boise or AFA couldn't do the same. But I dont think Big West, Summit, or Big Sky are considered legitimate conferences.

Reaction Score
Only problem with this logic is that it assumes that the Big 12 is concerned about anyone but themselves.

No school would accept a Big 12 football only invite unless they have a legitimate conference for their other sports. I guess Cinci could try the A10, but who could Houston turn to?

Reaction Score
No school would accept a Big 12 football only invite unless they have a legitimate conference for their other sports. I guess Cinci could try the A10, but who could Houston turn to?

Couldn't Cinci put it's other sports in the Big East?

Reaction Score
I agree. But again, the Big 12 won't invite them for football only simply because their other teams have a nice place to land in another conference.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is nearly as far fetched as you guys are making it out to be. When you step back from the situation and look at each interest involved it actually makes some sense.

ESPN doesn't' want to lose the AAC which they own for pennies on the dollar and neither FOX or ESPN want to shell out nearly a billion to add 4 schools to the Big 12.

When yo look at what the Big 12 wants adding schools isn't' really the priority, adding a CCG, increasing payouts, and increasing the chances a Big 12 schools gets in the playoff, are the goals they are after. This actually accomplished most of what they are after.

The Big 12 could easily decide that this accomplishes what they are after in the short term and this will allow them to monitor the landscape the next few years before they decide to let BYU and UConn join as full members and move forward with some sort of a conference network when these t-3 deals come to an end. Grab the 2 most valuable brands out there while not having to deal with the travel issues and other challenges BYU presents.

It's fun to say that Texas and OU are going to leave everyone behind but when you think about what that would actually take to happen it becomes apparent that them leaving is very unlikely for many reasons. Texas is quite happy with it's current situation and has no reason to go elsewhere. OU hs show to be unhappy but if 2/3 borens demands are met with a long term plan for a network OU really has no reason to leave either. Those fans who think OU is going to announce they are leaving the conference without a major show to follow aren't' being realistic as nothing similar has ever happened in realignment.
Oddly enough, this would make a pretty big contingent of UConn fans happy...
-men's hoops only fans-long to be in Big East
-women's hoops only fans-ditto
-football only fans -happy to be in Big 12
-hockey-perfectly content in hockey east
-fans of all sports-just glad we're not in the AAC

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think it is happening or truly makes sense, but it's not as far fetched as many suggest. The people out in the twitterverse saying "UConn Football! LOL!" miss a critical point. A school can only do this if it can find a viable home for its Olympic sports. BYU already has one as a football Independent, and UConn likely could get one with the Big East. I seriously doubt that Cinci, Houston, or either Florida school has that option really. Navy could pull it off obviously.

Reaction Score
This is too good to be true. UCONN football getting B12 revenue for what the program is? Found money. Big East basketball is still good, much better than AAC, and having the advantage of P5 football money would be a long run competitive advantage.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is happening or truly makes sense, but it's not as far fetched as many suggest. The people out in the twitterverse saying "UConn Football! LOL!" miss a critical point. A school can only do this if it can find a viable home for its Olympic sports. BYU already has one as a football Independent, and UConn likely could get one with the Big East. I seriously doubt that Cinci, Houston, or either Florida school has that option really. Navy could pull it off obviously.

I am unclear why you think Cinci would not put it's sports in the Big East. Surely if Creighton is good enough Cincy would be.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The Dude 1,
Peter Griffin in Bikini & Roller Skates 0

Nooooo!!!! At least this one is a cartoon. The other one seriously was scary....like even when I scrolled his eyes followed me (shudder).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Nooooo!!!! At least this one is a cartoon. The other one seriously was scary....like even when I scrolled his eyes followed me (shudder).

No. McLovin. Bring him back.

You guys can't make up your minds. I have McLovin, people complain. I get asked to change it to someone modeling bikinis, I change it. Now you all want McLovin back... I can't win!

Reaction Score
No. The Big East took Xavier as their Cinci school and they will not take another school from Cinci. Same reason Big East never wanted Temple for all sports as Villanova was the Philly school.
While that may have been the case back then a lot has changed since then. I suspect that FOX may have an interest in adding a bigger brand which Cinci is certainly a bigger brand than anyone in the BE from my perspective. To say that conference would turn down a much bigger brand than any current member may not be entirely true anymore. I can't think of any example where a bigger brand school was turned down by a conference. Can You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom