Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only | The Boneyard

Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"It just might be minimal. That's because sources say BYU and UConn are going to join the league as football-only members. UConn's basketball program wants to join the Big East anyway, so it makes sense.

Besides, this way ESPN and Fox Sports won't have to ante up as much TV revenue to BYU and UConn and current Big 12 members won't see their shares diminish as much.

So, the American Athletic Conference would have only one spot to fill."

Chuck Landon: Marshall basketball getting steal with Dillon

Reaction Score
Not bad if it was FB only, but I hope UConn will see if they'll schedule basketball games with the Big12...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
First, I don't believe this source whatsoever.

Second, I don't think it's as crazy as people make it out to be.

1. The research apparently shows that having 12 teams increases the odds for making the CFP.

2. BYU is a national football brand and could be competitive from day 1. UConn would offer a piece of the northeast without having to send their Olympic teams there.

3. Big 12 schools would see their per team take increase all while ESPN/Fox save money from paying the full pro rata.

4. UConn would need a basketball home and I'm sure Fox would want us in the Big East with some scheduling arrangements with the Big 12.

So, again I don't believe the rumor, I don't believe it will happen, but I don't think it is insane.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
"It just might be minimal. That's because sources say BYU and UConn are going to join the league as football-only members. UConn's basketball program wants to join the Big East anyway, so it makes sense.

Besides, this way ESPN and Fox Sports won't have to ante up as much TV revenue to BYU and UConn and current Big 12 members won't see their shares diminish as much.

This literally makes no sense. You wouldn't add us for football only. Our other sports are better. BYU I see, but some of their other sports (men's and women's basketball) don't have to be played on Sundays)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Jesus how about a warning before clicking the link? Chuck Landon is not an attractive man. The story requires a subscription or something, I was too daze to continue.

Reaction Score
I mean, this is the same conference that is still interviewing Rice and SMU for potential membership.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Um..no.

FB only means no pro rata bump.
FB only means no additional value to the conference in terms of product to sell.
FB only means the existing teams have to reduce their take.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Dude...

57a38d3202d57.image.jpg

Reaction Score
Trust me this guy has no source. He is the biggest WVU hater in the world. I'm surprised he's not touting Marshall for P5. File this under Absolute Insignificant Tweets, far below Non Key.

Reaction Score
I don't think it'll happen, but if we got offered this and turned it down everyone in the UConn administration should immediately be fired. That'd be about 10000X worse than running it on the 1 yard line with no timeouts and :17 left.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is the author makes the dude look like Edward R Murrow.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the only way this could be remotely true is if we agreed to an exclusive OOC scheduling arrangement for both MBB/WBB. I'm talking every current B12 team gets their choice of a home game against UConn or a game at MSG for NYC exposure. And we'd have to agree to a much smaller B12 member payout share (which might not be bad if we did jump to the FOX/Big East for $5+M/yr payout).

Reaction Score
Trust me this guy has no source. He is the biggest WVU hater in the world. I'm surprised he's not touting Marshall for P5. File this under Absolute Insignificant Tweets, far below Non Key.

Never heard of him before tonight and now he's all over my TL (Tomorrow he'll behind a paywall :D)

Jim Ashley@681jim 1 hour ago
So Cheap Suit Chucky Landon says that BYU & UConn is joining the Big12 as football-only members? Baloney.

Reaction Score
I could see this being a compromise to get 12 FB members without creating a travel issue for so many other sports. In reality the one trip to WV every season is really not a big deal as most of the other schools are within a couple hours of each other so hitting a couple or more games on a trip is possible.

I'm wondering how this would impact the BB and WBB though. I could see a scheduling arrangement for non conference games or even neutral site games at places like MSG or AAC in Dallas.

This would certainly save ESPN and FOX a small fortune as opposed to Pro Rata for 2-4 schools until the contract is up so they could likely sweeten the deal for the current members quite a bit (Likely near SEC or B1G payouts) while at the same time keeping the AAC on the cheap. Slap Rice in place of UConn and life goes on for the AAC and ESPN. ESPN already pays BYU for Football so that wouldn't' cost them much if any to do and I"m sure between the Big 12 FB payout and Big East payout UConn would be in great shape financially while playing regional historic rivals for the most part. Essentially this would be 4 road games for the UConn FB team.

This solves all of Boren's demands except the network. That situation has so many options and with many of the FOX t-3 deals coming up, PACN in a tough spot, LHN in a tough spot, more potential buyers for the conference network content through places like twitter and Hulu, etc... it might not be the worst thing to see how this evolves before going after a network in a few years instead of trying to copy the B1G or SEC network. I still think that the Big 12 and PAC need to work something out as they both have what the other needs. PAC needs large rabid fanbases who will drop TV providers over watching thier team play and the Big 12 needs a network to showcase it's schools and provide additional income. Let UT and the LHN turn into ACCN presented by Longhorn Sports in ACC markets.

Reaction Score
Um..no.

FB only means no pro rata bump.
FB only means no additional value to the conference in terms of product to sell.
FB only means the existing teams have to reduce their take.

I'll give you one more. The Big XII doesn't get exposure in the Northeast if they just take us for football. To have an entrance into Metro New York, they need New Yorkers to be hooked by UConn hoops. UConn football gets them Connecticut only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom