Source: Tip by mother’s ex led to NCAA investigation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Source: Tip by mother’s ex led to NCAA investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could have sworn I read somewhere that AAU teams are allowed to provide travel for players.
Yes they are. The problem in the original case, as I understnd it, was that Boatright didn't travel with the team. He had another obligation so someone else paid for his ticket. A parent, guardian, or other relative can do that. I don't exactly know the rules about a parent's "significant other" I would guess it would be ok in this day and age, but I'm not sure. Or a team can. I think a team can even do it so you take a seperate trip (eg the team is leaving at 2:30 but you have class so can't leave until 7:30), but what cannot happen is that you get a ticket from a Nochimson to travel to some tournament.

Reaction Score
I agree, but just to play devils advocate:

He may be 18? now but how old was he when the violation happened (or is alleged to have happened)? Remember this kid verballed to a D-1 school when he was 13 (12?) and was probably prominently involved with the AAU circuit before that. Add that to the fact he may not have known where things were coming from.

Not saying this happened but tell me you can't picture a situation where the mom's boyfriend hands the kid an airplane ticket for a basketball tournament or something basketball related and says, "Don't worry it's been paid for", without ever saying who paid for it, though the implication is that the mom's boyfriend paid for it but it was in fact paid for by some source which would be a violation by NCAA rules.

Obviously, one of two things is going on: 1) Boatright did violate a second rule and the ex-boyfriend is bringing something true up now to hurt his family from seeing him or 2) Boatright violated a rule (for which the 6 games was applied) but not another one and the ex-boyfriend is bringing something untrue up to hurt the family from seeing him and exact revenge. If he is lying he is just a , if he is telling the truth he's an honest who is actually helping UConn (in a twisted way).

Honestly, if Boatright did violate a second rule, I'm glad it's coming up now and not at the end of the season. If he didn't, still glad it's coming up now considering UConn has a chance to get him back for the NCAAT and this source will no longer be a trusted source.

I get where you're coming from on this, but if the kid is that good, and clearly lots of people thought he was that good, someone should have been looking over his shoulder to make sure he complied withthe rules. And if he had issues he should have run them by the NCAA, even if he did it with someone from the UCONN compliance office, when he did decide to commit. The NCAA just like everyone else, is more likely to go easy when you bring the problem to them than when they find it. You see that all the time with schools who self-report. I'm also sketical that these are the kind of things that happened when he was 12-13. My understanding was that the last incident occurred last year.

caw

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from on this, but if the kid is that good, and clearly lots of people thought he was that good, someone should have been looking over his shoulder to make sure he complied withthe rules. And if he had issues he should have run them by the NCAA, even if he did it with someone from the UCONN compliance office, when he did decide to commit. The NCAA just like everyone else, is more likely to go easy when you bring the problem to them than when they find it. You see that all the time with schools who self-report. I'm also sketical that these are the kind of things that happened when he was 12-13. My understanding was that the last incident occurred last year.

I agree, if he knew/thought something he did may not have complied he should have gone to the NCAA/compliance. Not sure the circumstances of the first violation (for which he was penalized) but the NCAA/compliance was informed by someone well before the season started (either Boatright or this unknown ex of his mothers or someone else). Did anyone comment on how the NCAA found out about it? I really haven't followed as much not game related this season.

This second thing, it hasn't been stated what the accusation is yet, has it? So it could be something from awhile ago or from something last year or something make believe. Just have to wait until it's explained unfortunately.

BTW, I'm sure lots of 12-13 year olds are given things by people that would fall under a violation by the NCAA. AAU is a dirty, dirty scene.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
BTW, I'm sure lots of 12-13 year olds are given things by people that would fall under a violation by the NCAA. AAU is a dirty, dirty scene.

This. It's just whether or not someone is a big enough Dick to report it 5 years later. It's not like his family was receiving large cash payments. Flights get paid for all the time. It's the only way most of these kids can afford to go to tournaments.

Whether or not 12 year olds should be playing in national tournaments is another discussion altogether.

Reaction Score
On a separate subject, the high school travel circuit seems to be really blowing up. Or is it just that all these games are televised now?

C

Chief00

Man let's get real - the tipster doesn't have a clue about NCAA rules. The NCAA is actively working with him on their "it is going to be bad" goal for UConn MBB. The retroactive/double jeopardy 2013 APR Rule is already hurting recruiting. We are at war with the NCAA and many think it is about what Ryan Boatright did or did not do.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I guess Boatright's Mom's ex-boyfriend doesn't know the code of the streets, "Don't snitch."

Reaction Score
Man let's get real - the tipster doesn't have a clue about NCAA rules. The NCAA is actively working with him on their "it is going to be bad" goal for UConn MBB. The retroactive/double jeopardy 2013 APR Rule is already hurting recruiting. We are at war with the NCAA and many think it is about what Ryan Boatright did or did not do.
Oh be serious. None of that is likely accurate. the NCAA learned its lesson in picking on specific schools many years after finally settling with Jerry Tarkanian for $2.5 million. And that was in 1998. The settlement would be 10 times as much today.

As for the APR rules hurting recruiting, didn't Omar Calhoun just pick UCONN? Didn't another top player inlcude the Huskies in his top 3? Drummond can boatright both came this year even knowing that they might still be here next year (and given Calhoun's record, it seem sto me pretty likely that they will.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom