Source: Tip by mother’s ex led to NCAA investigation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Source: Tip by mother’s ex led to NCAA investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I think this board would benefit greatly from a laughing emoticon like
laughing.gif
so at least it could be put there indicating that something like that is a joke. The smilie selection is somewhat lacking, jus' sayin'.

The thing about sarcasm on the internet is there are people out there on message boards who are dumb enough to say something that stupid, so some people aren't sure whether it's a joke or not.

C

Chief00

The sad part is this has nothing to do with Ryan Boatright on the NCAA side either. It is all about Emmert's grudge against Calhoun/UC. Add that with an ex getting back at Ryan's Mom. And it really smells. It's bad as I have said before.

Reaction Score
Sometimes on certain issues's like this that affect one of our guys and the team which has tough game after tough game coming up people just aren't up for humor or jokes. This is one of those times.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Being sarcastic and/or facetious is a bad idea on a message board, because it's way too easy to miss it and read text literally.

that having been said, yes, in this case it was amazing that anyone saw that as other than a joke.
I just consider consider these posts as educational material. We get an idea of how different people respond and react. Put me in the column that knew this was a sarcastic post.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Although it's sad that Ryan is in the middle of a personal vendetta, IF there indeed was a violation, it shouldn't be relevant to the NCAA, or us, as to why and how it got reported. Even if the messenger is a scumbag, it doesn't matter. If Ryan had other potential violations, he should have emptied his closet the first time.
The first thing that came to my mind after reading this information is that this will open up a pandoras box. There are a lot of people who have grudges against players, their families and the various scum that work the system. And if these people believe that the NCAA takes their info and acts upon it, they will start forwarding violations. And I'm not talking about jaded posters but people who have been sitting on this stuff thinking passing along the information would be a waste of their time.

Things could become very interesting over the next year. We'll see if this happens and see how the NCAA decides to handle things.

Reaction Score
The first thing that came to my mind after reading this information is that this will open up a pandoras box. There are a lot of people who have grudges against players, their families and the various scum that work the system. And if these people believe that the NCAA takes their info and acts upon it, they will start forwarding violations. And I'm not talking about jaded posters but people who have been sitting on this stuff thinking passing along the information would be a waste of their time.

Things could become very interesting over the next year. We'll see if this happens and see how the NCAA decides to handle things.
Agreed, potentially a bad precedent to set. To take an example from the women's team, how many instances of players sharing french fries with a recruit are out there at any number of programs. If every wingnut with an axe to grind turns informant...............

I have no issue with Ryan being punished for whatever transgressions were committed. However, the NCAA was informed of misdeeds, did an investigation and levied a punishment. If there was more to it, it was up to them to find it the first time around. It seems unfair that they can keep coming back to try and find more. Do a thorough job the first time and be done with it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed, potentially a bad precedent to set. To take an example from the women's team, how many instances of players sharing french fries with a recruit are out there at any number of programs. If every wingnut with an axe to grind turns informant...............

I have no issue with Ryan being punished for whatever transgressions were committed. However, the NCAA was informed of misdeeds, did an investigation and levied a punishment. If there was more to it, it was up to them to find it the first time around. It seems unfair that they can keep coming back to try and find more. Do a thorough job the first time and be done with it.
I agree. It was up to the NCAA to conduct a thorough review the first time. How can they keep coming back based on charges from the same individual? I guess the NCAA answers only to themselves. This seems like double jeopardy to me. The NCAA is opening themselves up to lawsuits when they play with a someone in this manner. How about having multiple credible witnesses instead of just the info provided by someone with a clear ax to grind against a kid's Mom?

C

Chief00

The key here is that "scumbag" has a welcome partner - the NCAA!

Reaction Score
If they find nothing would/could they grant Ryan more eligibility?

Reaction Score
I would have just played Boatright.
If the NCAA rules against Boatright all wins in games he played during that period would be forfeited and we might not make the tourney. As annoying as it is, the right decision was to sit him.

Reaction Score
Was the stooley the one who informed on RB originally? If so he might have some credence with the NCAA. Still a dick though. And if the NCAA talked with him earlier why didn't this new allegations come out then?

Reaction Score
atleast 7 games... and counting

Actually, that is dead wrong. He did not sit out six at the beginning of the season just because the NCAA was investigating. They did at the end rule that he needed to serve a six game suspension. And, from what I've seen, I don't think UConn had a real problem with the punishment.

He has missed a grand total of one game due to allegations, as opposed to proven charges.

Reaction Score
It must feel great having 400+ people wanting to kick your rear end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sue the scumbag.
For what? Being a jerk? If he's telling the truth, there's not much you can do about that.

The NCAA needs to decide that any violations that happened with this team constituted a single mistake by Ryan (playing for idiots). He's already been punished for that, perhaps excessively, given their response to far more serious offenses. They need to make this determination quickly and announce that no further action will be taken regarding the mistakes made by this particular team. That is an equitable resolution to this matter. I have very little expectation that it will happen.

Reaction Score
For what? Being a jerk? If he's telling the truth, there's not much you can do about that.

The NCAA needs to decide that any violations that happened with this team constituted a single mistake by Ryan (playing for idiots). He's already been punished for that, perhaps excessively, given their response to far more serious offenses. They need to make this determination quickly and announce that no further action will be taken regarding the mistakes made by this particular team. That is an equitable resolution to this matter. I have very little expectation that it will happen.
I'm sympathetic to that idea, but here's what I would add. The NCAA ought to ask Boatright if there are any other skeletons in his closet from this experience. He should provide them with information on any and all questionable acts, be they honest mistakes or intentional bad decisions or just matters that he is unsure about. At that point, the matter is closed. I don't know how many of you have yourself or helped others through the NCAA clearinghouse, but as part of that process you certify that you have not violated rules of amature standing. And the rules are pretty clearly spelled out. When I've done it, I always make the person read the requiements outloud and after each item, ask if they can truthfully say they have complied. We've even contacted the NCAA over things that they weren't completely sure about (even if I was)...a swimmer who had a summer job at a pool that included caoching a kids team, for example, it was fine). the NCAA responds quickly and clearly, I have to say. Ryan Boatright isn't a 10 year old. He is old enough to vote, drive, serve in the military and make life or death decisions. He ought to be old enough to look at the NCAA rules and say, 'wait a minute...I might have a problem here. I think there is a tendency to treat student athletes as if they are too dumb to understand this stuff. In my experience, it isn't the case. He ought to give the NCAA information on every single questionable matter related to his AAU experience, even if it is perfectly legal, and then let this matter be closed once and for all.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Actually, that is dead wrong. He did not sit out six at the beginning of the season just because the NCAA was investigating. They did at the end rule that he needed to serve a six game suspension. And, from what I've seen, I don't think UConn had a real problem with the punishment.

He has missed a grand total of one game due to allegations, as opposed to proven charges.
I like your math...

how many games have the Huskies played in, how many of them has RB played in... what is the total difference between the 2?

I understand your way of spinning it, UConn was proactive but as these players sit out I think the NCAA doesnt want to come back saying "we found nothing wrong, continue playing?" so they tack on "time served or an additional game or 2 as they did RB the first time around.

Reaction Score
wow....im about to call the ncaa and tell them anthony davis got paid, harrison barnes got a car, fab melo got a house, one by one...lets see what they do...

Reaction Score
I don't know what the specifics of the situation with Boatright are. But really, shouldn't it be the responsiblity of somebody, coach parent, these guardians that som many players seem to have, to tell them that if theyplan on playing in college, they need to avoid taking extra "gifts". If someone offers to fly you to a game in Las Vegas, and its isn't part of the team's program, don't take it. That is one place where I think high school coaches and athletic directors are definitely adding value while AAU programs don't. The high school folks remind their student athletes of this reguarly and among potential college athletes i suspect they do it even more. Not so sure the AAU coaches have the same motivation.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the specifics of the situation with Boatright are. But really, shouldn't it be the responsiblity of somebody, coach parent, these guardians that som many players seem to have, to tell them that if theyplan on playing in college, they need to avoid taking extra "gifts". If someone offers to fly you to a game in Las Vegas, and its isn't part of the team's program, don't take it. That is one place where I think high school coaches and athletic directors are definitely adding value while AAU programs don't. The high school folks remind their student athletes of this reguarly and among potential college athletes i suspect they do it even more. Not so sure the AAU coaches have the same motivation.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that AAU teams are allowed to provide travel for players.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm sympathetic to that idea, but here's what I would add. The NCAA ought to ask Boatright if there are any other skeletons in his closet from this experience. He should provide them with information on any and all questionable acts, be they honest mistakes or intentional bad decisions or just matters that he is unsure about. At that point, the matter is closed. I don't know how many of you have yourself or helped others through the NCAA clearinghouse, but as part of that process you certify that you have not violated rules of amature standing. And the rules are pretty clearly spelled out. When I've done it, I always make the person read the requiements outloud and after each item, ask if they can truthfully say they have complied. We've even contacted the NCAA over things that they weren't completely sure about (even if I was)...a swimmer who had a summer job at a pool that included caoching a kids team, for example, it was fine). the NCAA responds quickly and clearly, I have to say. Ryan Boatright isn't a 10 year old. He is old enough to vote, drive, serve in the military and make life or death decisions. He ought to be old enough to look at the NCAA rules and say, 'wait a minute...I might have a problem here. I think there is a tendency to treat student athletes as if they are too dumb to understand this stuff. In my experience, it isn't the case. He ought to give the NCAA information on every single questionable matter related to his AAU experience, even if it is perfectly legal, and then let this matter be closed once and for all.

I agree, but just to play devils advocate:

He may be 18? now but how old was he when the violation happened (or is alleged to have happened)? Remember this kid verballed to a D-1 school when he was 13 (12?) and was probably prominently involved with the AAU circuit before that. Add that to the fact he may not have known where things were coming from.

Not saying this happened but tell me you can't picture a situation where the mom's boyfriend hands the kid an airplane ticket for a basketball tournament or something basketball related and says, "Don't worry it's been paid for", without ever saying who paid for it, though the implication is that the mom's boyfriend paid for it but it was in fact paid for by some source which would be a violation by NCAA rules.

Obviously, one of two things is going on: 1) Boatright did violate a second rule and the ex-boyfriend is bringing something true up now to hurt his family from seeing him or 2) Boatright violated a rule (for which the 6 games was applied) but not another one and the ex-boyfriend is bringing something untrue up to hurt the family from seeing him and exact revenge. If he is lying he is just a , if he is telling the truth he's an honest who is actually helping UConn (in a twisted way).

Honestly, if Boatright did violate a second rule, I'm glad it's coming up now and not at the end of the season. If he didn't, still glad it's coming up now considering UConn has a chance to get him back for the NCAAT and this source will no longer be a trusted source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom