Source: Temple Could Be Invited Back to Big East [Sporting News.com] | The Boneyard

Source: Temple Could Be Invited Back to Big East [Sporting News.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The schools mentioned for the football end of the BE will result in the BE losing it's BCS status. Hoopswise the BE should stay strong. The thing I would be concerned about is if the BCS conferences form 4-5 16 team leagues, they may loby to have everyone else the equivalent of D-1AA in both footbasll and hoops.
Or, these so called superpowers split from the NCAA and form their own legislative police.
With all that TV money being talked about these super teams would have the power to split. Those who are left out are the equivalent of UMass & URI today.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The schools mentioned for the football end of the BE will result in the BE losing it's BCS status. Hoopswise the BE should stay strong. The thing I would be concerned about is if the BCS conferences form 4-5 16 team leagues, they may loby to have everyone else the equivalent of D-1AA in both footbasll and hoops.
Or, these so called superpowers split from the NCAA and form their own legislative police.
With all that TV money being talked about these super teams would have the power to split. Those who are left out are the equivalent of UMass & URI today.
Exactly. I care about UConn sports in general. And all of them can be significantly impacted if the configuration in college sports occurs as you hypothesize. All of us in these forums have an invested interest in how circumstance play out in UConn's admittance or rejection into a BCS conference. For someone like myself who is uncomfortable with the BCS format this is a difficult pill to swallow.

Reaction Score
Temple would do pretty alright in basketball but football...*cringe*

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Temple would do pretty alright in basketball but football...*cringe*
Pretty much what FSU, Clemson and VT are saying about Pitt and Cuse.:) And UConn if they were invited.

Reaction Score
UMass I understand is playing their FB games at Foxboro. The pickings are slim and seemingly desperate. Pitt and Cuse are not easily replaceable.

Reaction Score
The pickings are slim and seemingly desperate.

One option I thought the Big East should've explored years ago and should definitely look at now involves Memphis. The head man of FedEx I believe said he had $100 million to give to the BCS conference that let Memphis join. If that's the case - and more $$$ would be even better - the BE should add Memphis and raid the ACC. Give all of it to Florida St - or most of it to them and some to Maryland (or another ACC school or two) - to join with a commitment to the conference from everyone for 5 to 10 years.

It's at least worth a try, it's better than any option I've seen so far.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There must be something so toxic about Memphis - through all of this, no one ever actually considers them as a serious option.

There has to be something we don't know.

The fact that the Big East is considering UCF, a program that manages to look Mickey Mouse in the shadow of the actual Mickey Mouse, instead of Memphis, is downright indicting.

There has to be hookers buried at the 50-yard line or something like that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
One option I thought the Big East should've explored years ago and should definitely look at now involves Memphis. The head man of FedEx I believe said he had $100 million to give to the BCS conference that let Memphis join. If that's the case - and more $$$ would be even better - the BE should add Memphis and raid the ACC. Give all of it to Florida St - or most of it to them and some to Maryland (or another ACC school or two) - to join with a commitment to the conference from everyone for 5 to 10 years.

It's at least worth a try, it's better than any option I've seen so far.
Interesting avatar. I take it you're not happy with the move.

Reaction Score
What specifically about CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT BOARD is too complicated for everyone?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What specifically about CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT BOARD is too complicated for everyone?
I actually wondered the same thing before posting in this thread. Most threads regarding this topic get bumped to that board by the moderators. They are doing an excellent job.

A lot of bb lurkers and posters are not interested in wading through all the realignment board threads to understand the conference landscape. The occasional thread on this forum is primarily a summation of events or ideas from that forum.

I think an occasional thread surfacing isn't a problem. As long as it remains infrequent, which imo it has.

Reaction Score
Interesting avatar. I take it you're not happy with the move.

Correct, I hate the move. I'm one of the few who feel this way, most on the SU board are gungho for it.

It's a shame a lot of the Big East football schools wanted out: WV and Louisville would've jumped at an SEC invite last year and this.....Rutgers wanted to be in the Big10 last year and this.....UConn, I don't know but I'm guessing they would've jumped to the ACC if offered especially knowing Pitt was going too.....and of course Pitt and SU DID jump.

If the conference stayed together and strong, it would've survived, the hybrid worked despite all of its detractors - it just needed to be more football-minded and overall picture-minded than BE headquarters has been through the years.

As much as I hate the move - and I really do - with so many schools wanting to leave the BE and thus creating a self-made problem, it was probably in SU's best interests to leave now. If Pitt and UConn or Rutgers left instead, the Orange would be facing what UConn and Rutgers are facing - an uncertain future.

Go Huskies
Go Orange
Go Big East

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Correct, I hate the move. I'm one of the few who feel this way, most on the SU board are gungho for it.

It's a shame a lot of the Big East football schools wanted out: WV and Louisville would've jumped at an SEC invite last year and this.....Rutgers wanted to be in the Big10 last year and this.....UConn, I don't know but I'm guessing they would've jumped to the ACC if offered especially knowing Pitt was going too.....and of course Pitt and SU DID jump.

If the conference stayed together and strong, it would've survived, the hybrid worked despite all of its detractors - it just needed to be more football-minded and overall picture-minded than BE headquarters has been through the years.

As much as I hate the move - and I really do - with so many schools wanting to leave the BE and thus creating a self-made problem, it was probably in SU's best interests to leave now. If Pitt and UConn or Rutgers left instead, the Orange would be facing what UConn and Rutgers are facing - an uncertain future.

Go Huskies
Go Orange
Go Big East
I agree. The hybrid conference was not the cause of the failure. The football schools in the BE either wanted different conferences or didn't trust one another to make a commitment to the BE. Bottom line is the BE can never be the same. And that is a shame.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Go Huskies
Go Orange
Go Big East
I don't know if they would have moved but once Pitt and you guys left there isn't much point in staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom