OT: - Sorta OT - Doris Burke | The Boneyard

OT: Sorta OT - Doris Burke

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m watching the Orlando Magic-Cleveland Cavaliers NBA playoff game and Doris is the color analyst. It took 30 seconds for Doris to mention how the Magic “comported” themselves. :D I kind of miss her doing women’s college basketball games but I don’t miss “comport”.

Go Magic!

Reaction Score
I’m watching the Orlando Magic-Cleveland Cavaliers NBA playoff game and Doris is the color analyst. It took 30 seconds for Doris to mention how the Magic “comported” themselves. :D I kind of miss her doing women’s college basketball games but I don’t miss “comport”.

Go Magic!
Are you sure it is not "compart" themself ? ...:p

Reaction Score

Go Magic!
I'll see your Doris "comported", and raise you Meg "savvy"... :cool:

Reaction Score

Go Magic!
She learned that word at that hick school in RI, known for its…..um….hockey teams?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My least favorite announcer cliche that he uses multiple times every game is Ryan Ruocco with "insisting her way to the rim."

Reaction Score

Go Magic!
Maybe she meant to say “composted” themselves.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know of no NBA players who comport themselves except maybe Nikola. Was that her point?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know of no NBA players who comport themselves except maybe Nikola. Was that her point?
What is the meaning of comport?

behave

: behave. especially : to behave in a manner conformable to what is right, proper, or expected. comported himself well in the crisis.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I for one happen to love the word “comport” and particularly its reflexive form “to comport oneself”. Doris, you keep doing you! Language is fun.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Yea... You're talking about Jeff Van Gundy, right? Cuz whomever thought replacing him with his brother Stan def got it wrong
Jeff of course. Stan was not part of that team. He is not very good.

Ian Eagle is good on play by play. Kevin Harlan is too intense but at least he focuses on what is happening on the court.

Hubie Brown is the best technical analyst hands down. I was surprised to see him doing a broadcast recently. He is 90 years old!

Reaction Score
Playthings =

Playing with more energy
Playing with agency
Using one’s athleticism
Brings to the table

All overused. Analysts might best do without them.

Reaction Score
What is the meaning of comport?

behave

: behave. especially : to behave in a manner conformable to what is right, proper, or expected. comported himself well in the crisis.
As verb, yes....and in context does comport with of Doris' declarative (see below)

but also:
accord or agree with.
"our outdated rules did not comport with 21st-century realities"

As noun?
noun: comport; plural noun: comports
another term for compote (sense 2).

Origin: French
late 19th century: apparently an abbreviation of French comportier, variant of compotier ‘dessert dish’.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom