Sopranos not hold up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sopranos not hold up?

Reaction Score
He killed him. On first watch I they were showing the viewers the uncertainty of Tony's condition, how it could all fall apart at any minute, but in retrospect and particularly looking at the evidence laid out here, I don't think there's any ambiguity about the fact that he was killed.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Soprano's was the best show ever made even with its flaws. To this day, I can waste an hour and a half letting YouTube autoplay one Soprano's clip after another. So many enjoyable characters and great writing.

Leftovers and The Wire up there too, Breaking Bad is 2 tiers down. Fake artsy openers, lousy characters, the "You're goshdarn right" scene had me laughing out loud...ooof.
I don't think he died. They had scripts to bring back the show with Tony in it.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think he died. They had scripts to bring back the show with Tony in it.

At the time the show aired, I highly doubt there was even a thought of killing their golden goose.

Unless of course he was killed, cut up, dropped in dumpsters along the same route, and somehow gets put back together and is reanimated, but with a cleaver as his right hand.

Reaction Score
To me Sopranos was always the dumbed down 'B' or TV version of the Godfather that rode the 'this is what the mob is really like' stylistic choice past most criticism into revered status. For me it was very good, but rarely transcendent and I was always able to check in & out without caring or noticing what I missed too much. I love Gandolfini in it and to lesser extent Bracco and Falco, but it was way more typical TV to me than the prestige dramas over the more recent 7 years or so.

Reaction Score
He killed him. On first watch I they were showing the viewers the uncertainty of Tony's condition, how it could all fall apart at any minute, but in retrospect and particularly looking at the evidence laid out here, I don't think there's any ambiguity about the fact that he was killed.

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Soprano's was the best show ever made even with its flaws. To this day, I can waste an hour and a half letting YouTube autoplay one Soprano's clip after another. So many enjoyable characters and great writing.

Leftovers and The Wire up there too, Breaking Bad is 2 tiers down. Fake artsy openers, lousy characters, the "You're goshdarn right" scene had me laughing out loud...ooof.
I'm half way into season three, Joe Pantoliano recently arrived, Burt Young came and went in one episode, I see the trend. The final episode. No way a hit man would walk in the door with AJ like that and make himself overly visible. I've read all the theories but it just makes no sense at all. All that POV malarkey. If there were anything to that, we would have seen Tony's view of Meadow walk in the door because Tony looks up for a good second or so before it goes black.

Last edited:

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I'm half way into season three, Joe Pantoliano recently arrived, Burt Young came and went in one episode, I see the trend. The final episode. No way a hit man would walk in the door with AJ like that and make himself overly visible. I've read all the theories but it just makes no sense at all. All that POV malarkey. If there were anything to that, we would have seen Tony's view of Meadow walk in the door because Tony looks up for a good second or so before it goes black.
If you're enjoying the series, watch to the end before you make up your mind. Almost three seasons isn't enough. I don't know how you can call it "POV malarkey". The shots and sets and direction are deliberate decisions made by the people running the show. That stuff doesn't happen by accident or coincidence. You can not like the choices, you can think its a lousy way to tell a story, but you can't hand wave it away because it doesn't make sense to you.

Reaction Score
If you're enjoying the series, watch to the end before you make up your mind. Almost three seasons isn't enough. I don't know how you can call it "POV malarkey". The shots and sets and direction are deliberate decisions made by the people running the show. That stuff doesn't happen by accident or coincidence. You can not like the choices, you can think its a lousy way to tell a story, but you can't hand wave it away because it doesn't make sense to you.
I gotcha, but those deliberate decisions are just opinion and theory. I am sure my view will change by the end of season 6. But when they say "POV," it's not really POV. For example, when Carmela enters the restaurant, she supposedly looks to see Tony, but she's not looking at the camera, so it can't be Tony's POV. And the shots are usually too close to be Tony's POV. Don't you agree that Tony saw Meadow walk in the door, and why didn't we see her? Tony was far too successful a boss to be taken out with one bullet by such a careless hit man.

Note: We never see AJ take his jacket off. He's settled in at the table wearing his jacket, then suddenly it's off. And just as Tony watches MOG walk into the pishadu, two gentlemen walk in to peruse the pastry. That is the key right there.

Last edited:

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I gotcha, but those deliberate decisions are just opinion and theory. I am sure my view will change by the end of season 6. But when they say "POV," it's not really POV. For example, when Carmela enters the restaurant, she supposedly looks to see Tony, but she's not looking at the camera, so it can't be Tony's POV.
This is the Carmela POV shot straight from the link:
door3carm1.jpg

I don't know how you see that and think "Can't be his POV". I don't think you need to see the top of the booth in front of you to know that this is what Tony is looking at.

And the shots are usually too close to be Tony's POV. Don't you agree that Tony saw Meadow walk in the door, and why didn't we see her?
...because he was dead, you don't see anything when you're dead.

Tony was far too successful a boss to be taken out with one bullet by such a careless hit man.
Except lots of people died that way, and they spent lots of time foreshadowing by talking about it and showing it. Tony and Bobby on the boat, Silvio's dinner, Phil's death, Bobby's death....all in that same season, all all unaware, all never saw it coming. They even spent time showing you how Tony was not paying attention to things behind him in the scene immediately preceding the diner (and they used the same POV process)

Note: We never see AJ take his jacket off. He's settled in at the table wearing his jacket, then suddenly it's off.
So while they cut to Meadow parking, AJ took his jacket off. I'm missing you here, how does this affect the theory that Tony was killed?
The Sopranos Final Scene

And just as Tony watches MOG walk into the pishadu, two gentlemen walk in to peruse the pastry. That is the key right there.
Again, I'm not following. The show MOG walk past Tony to establish that he has a clear shot of Tony from behind as he exits the bathroom. Moments pass, Tony doesn't look at the bathroom again, or check behind him or anything like that. The bell rings, Tony looks up at the door again, instead of seeing Meadow they hard cut to black.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Stupid question: When someone bets a "dime" on Sopranos ... is that $1k?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It holds up better than The Wire. They both hold up pretty well if you consider them both period pieces. AJ working at Blockbuster cracks me up.

Reaction Score
This is the Carmela POV shot straight from the link:
door3carm1.jpg

I don't know how you see that and think "Can't be his POV". I don't think you need to see the top of the booth in front of you to know that this is what Tony is looking at.

...because he was dead, you don't see anything when you're dead.

Except lots of people died that way, and they spent lots of time foreshadowing by talking about it and showing it. Tony and Bobby on the boat, Silvio's dinner, Phil's death, Bobby's death....all in that same season, all all unaware, all never saw it coming. They even spent time showing you how Tony was not paying attention to things behind him in the scene immediately preceding the diner (and they used the same POV process)

So while they cut to Meadow parking, AJ took his jacket off. I'm missing you here, how does this affect the theory that Tony was killed?
The Sopranos Final Scene

Again, I'm not following. The show MOG walk past Tony to establish that he has a clear shot of Tony from behind as he exits the bathroom. Moments pass, Tony doesn't look at the bathroom again, or check behind him or anything like that. The bell rings, Tony looks up at the door again, instead of seeing Meadow they hard cut to black.

Tony looks up for a good second or so so he must have seen Meadow. We should have seen Meadow. But you did an excellent job of summarizing the obvious theories floating around out there. Perhaps too obvious. You don't understand the AJ Jacket theory? Chase goes out of his way to make things crystal clear to us, yet we are to assume AJ happens to take his jacket off while off camera? That's Bovine !

Don't get me wrong, I love this show. All due respect, I enjoy it more as a comedy than a drama, which makes the Seinfeld mash spot on. More "Scary Movie" than "Scream."

I'm watching the entire series rapid fire so it's a different experience than watching it over 6 seasons. Rapid fire, it's a little too repetitive. Tony is an ignorant, selfish prock whose entire schtick is throwing an endless series of temper tantrums. Surprised he didn't get whacked by season three. They should come out with a sequal showing Tony given the Beansie treatment drinking his Buca through a straw.

Kelli Aprile: "I gotta paint a picture? He was killed by a fat in see-through socks."
upload_2018-5-25_16-1-46.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread has inspired me to start re watching the series. It took all of a handful of episodes to remind me of how much I hated Tony's mom. Good lord I can't stand her.

Reaction Score
Halfway through season 5. Question: Did The Sopranos ever jump the shark? If so, at what point? If not, did it come close?
I'm thinking a few situations:
The introduction of Tony B., Feech, and Phil. Just seemed like a situation where they introduced a few characters to jump start something. Feech was freaking awesome.
Tony moving out of the house. He's the Boss for pete's sake. He can't move out.
Carmella sinning with AJ's guidance counselor is a big reach. I mean, she knows the deal and Tony is the freaking Boss Marone.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Halfway through season 5. Question: Did The Sopranos ever jump the shark? If so, at what point? If not, did it come close?
I'm thinking a few situations:
The introduction of Tony B., Feech, and Phil. Just seemed like a situation where they introduced a few characters to jump start something. Feech was freaking awesome.
Tony moving out of the house. He's the Boss for pete's sake. He can't move out.
Carmella sinning with AJ's guidance counselor is a big reach. I mean, she knows the deal and Tony is the freaking Boss Marone.

That was about the point when I noticed much of the show felt rushed. Sorry, can't think of s better word.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This thread has inspired me to start re watching the series. It took all of a handful of episodes to remind me of how much I hated Tony's mom. Good lord I can't stand her.

I loved the show, but hoped Tony at least once would get his ass kicked when he went off on one of his temper tamtrums. Maybe he has a bit of road rage and a civilian 1/2 his size leaves him in a bloody messing lying on the curb with people just staring.

Reaction Score
The Pine Barren's episode is probably one of the most funny Sopranos episodes ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The Pine Barton's episode is probably one of the most funny Sopranos episodes ever.
That was classic. Although the Russian could have easily finished off both Chris and Paulie, with the shovel, instead of running. He's an interior decorator!

upload_2018-6-5_7-39-48.jpeg

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Hey! Go piss on your own side!

The character development in that show was beyond incredible. Most of the characters came across as complete fools who just happened to be perfect for their job.

I'm trying to think of even one made guy who wasn't a fool. Maybe Patsy/Philly.

EDIT: Furio.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The character development in that show was beyond incredible. Most of the characters came across as complete fools who just happened to be perfect for their job.

I'm trying to think of even one made guy who wasn't a fool. Maybe Patsy/Philly.

EDIT: Furio.

Furio was a fool for lusting after the Boss's wife.

Reaction Score
Furio was a fool for lusting after the Boss's wife.
Furio was smart enough to leave the country before he listened to his braciole. Furio should have been on the show longer.

Reaction Score
Silvio never seemed to be foolish, although it's been a while since I've seen any episodes

Reaction Score
Silvio never seemed to be foolish, although it's been a while since I've seen any episodes
Paulie Walnuts was the funniest guy on the show but Sil was underrated in that deparment and had some classic moments.
Watch "The Sopranos: Sil in Christopher's Intervention" on YouTube

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom