Sonia Cintron NYC | The Boneyard

Sonia Cintron NYC

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
New Name in Girls HS baskeball. SONIA CINTRON. Plays for Bryan Williams. Bryan for those who dont know him is a great coach. Has big time offers. Stanford, Oregon, etc. She’s a 6’1” guard. 2021 kid.

come on TonyC!!!!!.................nothing new about her to the few recruiting nuts here................we've been watching her for the past two high school seasons!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
come on TonyC!!!!!.......nothing new about her to the few recruiting nuts here......we've been watching her for the past two high school seasons!!
She. Mir, and DeBerry were the reasons I went to the Summer Slam. When I left the mob/line was still half a long city block, the place was shadeless, the temperature was 90 and humid, the place was over full, no one was being let in, I couldn't see over the trees standing in front of the fence, and the little I could see (and hear) were crowds cheering guards going one on one. I didn't get to see any of the three.

Reaction Score
She. Mir, and DeBerry were the reasons I went to the Summer Slam. When I left the mob/line was still half a long city block, the place was shadeless, the temperature was 90 and humid, the place was over full, no one was being let in, I couldn't see over the trees standing in front of the fence, and the little I could see (and hear) were crowds cheering guards going one on one. I didn't get to see any of the three.

next time you go bring a ladder!!!

Reaction Score
In another thread Sluconn Husky has a great photo of Citron following through on a jumper. She looks very Bird-like(mostly Larry and some Sue). We dont see much of her defense in the videos, but her shooting and passing seem great. And we know Geno can teach anyone defense(well, almost anyone, but we loved Svet and Diana anyway). I think she will move up in the ratings some more and could be a valuable addition to UConn.

The problem for us is she as an offer from Stanford. She also has an offer from Oregon, but I’m not worried about that. Academically UConn is probably as good or better than Oregon. And we have a geographic advantage(Sonia is from NYC) and we have Geno. However, if Sonia is smart enough to get a scholarship offer from Stanford, she is smart enough to realize the value of a Stanford degree once her pro playing days are done. She will be in her “post-playing career” for three or four times more years than in her playing career. Just walking on Campus you can feel the social, financial and cere

image.jpg

Reaction Score
As I was saying before I pushed the wrong button, just walking on campus at Stanford you can feel the social, financial and cerebral juices flowing. Several people(including non-Stanford alums) have told me Stanford’s alumni networking system is the best on the planet. It’s all hard to beat. This is a big part of why I said in another thread recently that I thought Tara would be Geno’s toughest competitor over the next 5 or 6 years.

Well, time will tell.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought we were banned from naming guards and wings until we signed 3/4/5 bigs to the recruiting classes because as we all know, we need bigs! :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As I was saying before I pushed the wrong button, just walking on campus at Stanford you can feel the social, financial and cerebral juices flowing. Several people(including non-Stanford alums) have told me Stanford’s alumni networking system is the best on the planet. It’s all hard to beat. This is a big part of why I said in another thread recently that I thought Tara would be Geno’s toughest competitor over the next 5 or 6 years.

Well, time will tell.

This raises an interesting question about recruiting kids who have Stanford offers. I do like it when kids just announce their decision and spare coaches the recruiting song and dance. Cameron Brink comes to mind. The Haley Jones saga was really too much. I don't think Haley misled Geno -- there may have been a time when she favored UConn -- but it eventually became clear how it was going to end. The end came after multiple trips to the west coast by Geno and Chris. Maybe Geno and Chris learned from that experience.

I hope Citron and Gardiner announce early if Stanford is where they want to be.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With all the very good guards UConn will have, if Fudd commits, why would Citron want to commit to UConn? If UConn does not sign any bigs then I would love for her to come to UConn. Sign the best players available.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In another thread Sluconn Husky has a great photo of Citron following through on a jumper. She looks very Bird-like(mostly Larry and some Sue). We dont see much of her defense in the videos, but her shooting and passing seem great. And we know Geno can teach anyone defense(well, almost anyone, but we loved Svet and Diana anyway). I think she will move up in the ratings some more and could be a valuable addition to UConn.

The problem for us is she as an offer from Stanford. She also has an offer from Oregon, but I’m not worried about that. Academically UConn is probably as good or better than Oregon. And we have a geographic advantage(Sonia is from NYC) and we have Geno. However, if Sonia is smart enough to get a scholarship offer from Stanford, she is smart enough to realize the value of a Stanford degree once her pro playing days are done. She will be in her “post-playing career” for three or four times more years than in her playing career. Just walking on Campus you can feel the social, financial and cere

View attachment 45741
Unless of course she wants to study kinesiology or physical therapy. Then all she needs is sign on with UConn.

Reaction Score
This raises an interesting question about recruiting kids who have Stanford offers. I do like it when kids just announce their decision and spare coaches the recruiting song and dance. Cameron Brink comes to mind. The Haley Jones saga was really too much. I don't think Haley misled Geno -- there may have been a time when she favored UConn -- but it eventually became clear how it was going to end. The end came after multiple trips to the west coast by Geno and Chris. Maybe Geno and Chris learned from that experience.

I hope Citron and Gardiner announce early if Stanford is where they want to be.

I have to disagree. My daughter had several schools recruiting her. She took visits to most if not all of the schools. She was ready to commit when one coaches email was in her junk mail. Believe or not, that’s where she went. Had the best career at that school for men or women.

These are kids. Most don’t know where they want to go. And should definitely visit every school they can

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have to disagree. My daughter had several schools recruiting her. She took visits to most if not all of the schools. She was ready to commit when one coaches email was in her junk mail. Believe or not, that’s where she went. Had the best career at that school for men or women.

These are kids. Most don’t know where they want to go. And should definitely visit every school they can

If they don't know where they want to go then of course take visits. I'm talking about those kids who understand what Stanford means and do know.

Reaction Score

Well, time will tell.
If that were the case, where have they been for the last 25 years? They’ve had a few AAs during that time. The next 4-5 will be interesting though. Belibi made a believer out of me. There’s no one like her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
A kid from Nevada named Williams also came down to Stanford and UConn. She did OK from what I hear... :cool:
Not to mention Sue Bird. I recall reading that she was so proud of her offer letter from Stanford that she framed it, but still went to UConn. And the rest is history.

Reaction Score
Of course there will be exceptions to “the Rule” or the postulation. In Rebecca’s case she probably had a good idea she was going to stay in women’s basketball for her “after playing days career”.

And UConn Fan 68 is right, Tara has been out of the championship circle for quite a while. Yes she has had a”few” AA’s and a couple very good ones; but not many as good as Geno has had. That may be changing. I think High School Juniors are becoming more sophisticated in the last few years.

Still, Tara has been right on the edge of the elite circle the whole time. Remember, she is five up on Geno for total wins right now. She has the third best winning percent at 81%. Pat is at 84% and Geno is at 88%. Also, Tara has the second best head to head record against Geno 7-11(39%). Pat is at 9-13(41%). Muffet is at 12-36(25%). Kim is at 2-4(33%); but we all know she only goes up against Geno when she is driving a tank.

Yes, Baylor and Oregon look tough this coming year. But Geno and Tara are building the best teams for the first half of the next decade, the two of them should converge on Pat’s record at the end of this year. If recruiting goes as planned, Geno should have the edge on Tara for now. But she will remain a tough adversary until he, she or both retire(she is one year older than he is).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tara is a really good coach--a great coach--but she's a year older than Geno. I can see Tara coaching another 5 years, but not much beyond that. The Stanford program may take a dip, though I expect that Jen Azzi may be her successor.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
again, that Stanford crap is overrated when it comes to WCBB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member