songs in a language other than English | Page 7 | The Boneyard

songs in a language other than English

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I did some looking around, it's easy enough to find Bebe Rexha, Ava Max, Dua Lipa and Rita Ora speaking Albanian, but I can't find anything where any of them have released music singing in Albanian. I'm not familiar w/ this singer, but based on views of her You Tube clips she's plenty popular (this song is an outlier w/ over 800 million views, but all of her stuff goes well over 1 mil). Figured it was justified putting something on here in Albanian given how popular some of these artists are worldwide.

I've found myself kind of fascinated by Albania. More ethnic Albanians live outside the country than within. I gather there is a strong cultural identity, if you are of Albanian heritage, you are Albanian, regardless of where you were born or where you live.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The actress in Claudia Cardinale and the singer is Fran Jefferies
Dang, I thought I did some good detective work. I guess that won't be my new career.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't do an exhaustive search, but looked up a number of artists. Sweden and Norway have produced a whole bunch of pop stars, many who are popular in the U.S. Seems like it's pretty much English language songs. I just thought I could find some stuff in their native languages, but I'm not finding it.

edit--obviously there must be music released in those countries in non-English; I just meant the stuff that gets known over here, they seem to sing exclusively in English

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aha, I found something. This Swedish singer had a minor hit or two ("Cry For You" is nice) using the stage name September, singing in English. Later she used her given name and sings in her native Swedish.

Reaction Score
Several mentions of Edith Piaf, and not even one Milord? How is that even possible?

Reaction Score
Ernesto Lecouna (Cuba) and Elayne Celis (France) combine in this classic 1930 song of Lecouna's...an old recording but beautiful, I think.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Path by Ralph Macdonald (mostly the second part with the steel drums) was big on WLIB (The only station in the nation with a Caribbean education) when I was in high school. The lyrics and a translation were in the gatefold of the album, but I ripped it to CD about 20 years ago and traded the LP in. I think the original lyrics are in Yoruba, but could be (way) wrong on that, as this is pretty much all I know about West African languages.

Reaction Score
There are a number of top Greek women singers. My favorite is Haris Alexiou. This song sounds familiar from Greek movies, maybe, but what she's singing...well it's Greek to me.

Reaction Score
The Path by Ralph Macdonald (mostly the second part with the steel drums) was big on WLIB (The only station in the nation with a Caribbean education) when I was in high school. The lyrics and a translation were in the gatefold of the album, but I ripped it to CD about 20 years ago and traded the LP in. I think the original lyrics are in Yoruba, but could be (way) wrong on that, as this is pretty much all I know about West African languages.

I just got a chance to listen to this. Really fun. Thanks for another good pick.

Reaction Score
I first heard this 30 plus years ago on PBS radio. They played it every day on my drive home. It took me two months to get it. It was on top of the Reggae charts for a while....still sounds good to me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This achingly beautiful piece by the legendary Fairouz, "The Nightingale of the East", has reached iconic status. Released in 1984 at the height the Lebanese civil war, it's at once a lament for war-torn Beiruit, an ode to its grandeur, and a cry of hope for its future.

Fairouz steadfastly refused to perform in Lebanon throughout the 15-year-long the civil war — both as a quiet protest and to avoid any perception of favoring any faction — but just as remarkably, she also refused to abandon residence in her country.

Expanding on the international dimension of this song, its poetic Arabic lyrics are set to the music of "Concierto de Aranjuez", a well-known classical piece titled by Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo.

A fantastic article on the import of this song and its interpreter:

Reaction Score
This achingly beautiful piece by the legendary Fairouz, "The Nightingale of the East", has reached iconic status. Released in 1984 at the height the Lebanese civil war, it's at once a lament for war-torn Beiruit, an ode to its grandeur, and a cry of hope for its future.

Fairouz steadfastly refused to perform in Lebanon throughout the 15-year-long the civil war — both as a quiet protest and to avoid any perception of favoring any faction — but just as remarkably, she also refused to abandon residence in her country.

Expanding on the international dimension of this song, its poetic Arabic lyrics are set to the music of "Concierto de Aranjuez", a well-known classical piece titled by Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo.

A fantastic article on the import of this song and its interpreter:

Yes, it's a beautiful song, both with her singing and the lyrics. A friend's family had fled to Beirut during the WWI era Armenian genocide. She was born there. Her family came here to the US in the 1960s. She said that it was a most beautiful city, which many compared to Paris. With civil wars etc. and the recent explosion, she feels
that a part of her is lost forever. (I also read your attachment. It was excellent.)

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's kinda crazy how some stuff that is totally obscure in the U.S. is definitely NOT obscure globally. I'd never heard of this band til about a month ago. This video has nearly 77 million views. Obviously somebody knows about them.

As a side note, the hurdy gurdy has to be one of the strangest, but coolest instruments ever invented.

Donovan seemed to think so!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's Caroline Lavelle, barefoot English cellist, singing in Armenian. The name she gave the tune is the name of the poet who wrote the lyrics:

Reaction Score
Con Tu Amor/Jaci Velasquez Como la Flor/Selena Cualquier Cosa Por Ti/Gloria Estefan Nada/Shakira

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I hadn't even thought to check. Here's long time German rocker Doro Pesch, not singing in English like she normally does. This just popped up on one of my Pandora stations.

Reaction Score
Carlo was the "King of the Tango" in Argentina during the twenties, through to his death in 1935, in an airplane crash. An all-everything in Argentina he rivals Evita in the hearts of most Argentinians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom