Songs About Modes of Transportation Not Planes, Trains, or Automobiles | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Songs About Modes of Transportation Not Planes, Trains, or Automobiles

Reaction Score
Great, great song. I really like the Elizabeth Smith version too. Here's another song, same event different take. Means of locomotion (too stick to the topic) is walking. And just to clarify, the "waltzing" in Waltzing Matilda refers to walking, not dancing.

One of the greatest anti-war songs ever written; Eric Bogle wrote it, this is The Pogues version

Reaction Score
Great, great song. I really like the Elizabeth Smith version too. Here's another song, same event different take. Means of locomotion (too stick to the topic) is walking. And just to clarify, the "waltzing" in Waltzing Matilda refers to walking, not dancing.

Back at you for an equally great song!! Never heard it or of the band but thanks because I will be checking them out.
As for “Waltzing Matilda” not many realize it is actually about an Australian rover who winds up committing suicide by accepting drowning rather than surrender to authorities chasing him to arrest him for poaching on a farmers land.

Reaction Score
Back at you for an equally great song!! Never heard it or of the band but thanks because I will be checking them out.
As for “Waltzing Matilda” not many realize it is actually about an Australian rover who winds up committing suicide by accepting drowning rather than surrender to authorities chasing him to arrest him for poaching on a farmers land.
Check out No More Holdens by the band (Simply Bushed).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Moodies and a different kind of 'trip", Timothy Leary style:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's a well-worn song about the "noble racing pony" from Steeleye Span. Skewball/Stewball/Plains of Kildare. . .

Reaction Score

Tarbox Ramblers take on an old blues classic of well studied but unknown origin. It has been recorded primarily under two names, “St. James Infirmary” or “Gamblers Blues”. Thanks to Bigboote for posting ”Skewball” above, that post prompted me to drag out the Tarbox Ramblers from the dusty section of my CD collection, as they also recorded that tune under “Stewball”.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom