Songs about love and loss | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Songs about love and loss

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Mary Black has the perfect voice for songs of loss and longing.

She has a daughter who appears as Roisin O who often sings with Danny O'Reilly.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is an Irish singer that does a variety of interesting stuff. Her name is Imelda May.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is Helen Forrest with Harry James. While singing in Artie Shaw's band along with Billie Holiday she noticed that Billie stayed off stage until her song began. She was told that was because of Ms Holiday's race, so she refused to appear on stage until her songs too.

Reaction Score
Another offering, sticking with my personal sub-theme of exceptional interpretations of work created by other artists...

Hoagy Carmichael's wonderful, 1939 composition, "I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)" from Carly Simon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My Dad would have eaten it every day if Mom would make it. :rolleyes:

My wife would eat it every day if I'd make it. I hit upon the twist of making it with bacon in place of much of the butter, and sometimes kale in place of the cabbage.

Unfortunately our daughter doesn't like potatoes, so we don't have colcannon nearly enough.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
My wife would eat it every day if I'd make it. I hit upon the twist of making it with bacon in place of much of the butter, and sometimes kale in place of the cabbage.

Unfortunately our daughter doesn't like potatoes, so we don't have colcannon nearly enough.
Bacon is a winner, kale not so much. My wife and I both love potatoes in any form.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Bacon is a winner, kale not so much. My wife and I both love potatoes in any form.
Kale comes in smaller quanta than cabbage. But I’ve discovered. really good cole slaw recipe, and have had some recent sucess with sauerkraut, so have been buying cabbage.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Kale comes in smaller quanta than cabbage. But I’ve discovered. really good cole slaw recipe, and have had some recent sucess with sauerkraut, so have been buying cabbage.
My Dad liked sauerkraut cooked with pork and then put over creamed potatoes, so we ate it often. The broth from the pork and sauerkraut made a "gravy" for the potatoes. Hungry just thinking about it. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"He's sure got a lot of gall, to be so useless and all". Love that line. Always makes me think of my stepson!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Carly singing about Cat. I don't know whether they really "lost" rather than ran away from each other. This has the classic twist of phrase:

I know you still have the heart of that small boy
But you lend it out far too much
And no one woman loving you can ever feel that she's been really touched

Reaction Score
Manhattan Transfer - from their very first album, one gorgeous tale of love and loss:
Come all ye fair and tender ladies
Take warning how you court your men
They’re like a star on a summer morning
They first appear and then they’re gone

Reaction Score
Made popular by Rod Stewart, but Danny Whitten (from Neil Young's band) wrote this absolute classic about love & loss:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom