Something Doris Burke Mentioned Last Night | The Boneyard

Something Doris Burke Mentioned Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doris Burke made a great point last night about out of conference scheduling. UCONN has to do it because frankly they should roll through the AAC once again. Not that Duke has been competitive but the loss of a series from a team in a major conference is not good. Let's hope that the current scheduling continues. There is nothing that can be done if teams wish to discontinue.

Reaction Score
Honestly don't see the series with Duke coming to an end, as an issue for UConn. There are, I'm sure, plenty of top programs to fill that slot going forward. Personally I'd like to see it fill with Louisville. They have been one of the better teams the last few years and they have a good class coming in.

mr006

Reaction Score
Sadly, we can populate it with some teams that used to be in-conference :(.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno commented a few weeks ago that Jeff Walz, as well as CViv, have been ducking his invitations to sign a contract for a series. Apparently Walz called him the day after he recruited Asia Durr, seemingly having more interest in playing UConn after that event. But even so, not enough to produce a signed contract (at least not yet).

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, adding LSU and FSU didn't help, IMHO. They may be Football powerhouses, but WCBB is low priority at both schools. LSU was great with Siemone and Big Syl, but those days are long gone.

Reaction Score
I'td be cool if we stocked up on ex Big East Teams. Alot of them are ranked pretty high this year.

Reaction Score
UConn can only play those teams that are willing to play them, like South Carolina, Texas A&M, UCLA, Florida St. and LSU. How about Texas, Kentucky, Nebraska, North Carolina again, Oregon State, Maryland, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Syracuse, Arizona State, Michigan State? There's a long list, but will they play the Huskies? It looks as though Brigham Young has disappeared after losing their center? Delaware has also disappeared.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So despite the loss of Louisville and Rutgers, the AAC looks like it will be be rated pretty close to where it was last year in that 6th spot among the conferences, and it could end up with more teams in the Tourney this year than the two that won places last year. Almost all the AAC teams have improved on last year's ratings.

Meanwhile a bunch of us are wondering how all the OOC teams that UConn has contracted with are going to be shoehorned into the schedule in the next few years, all those teams who want to play the nation's best team and give their players a great learning experience.

But yes, we are dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Geno commented a few weeks ago that Jeff Walz, as well as CViv, have been ducking his invitations to sign a contract for a series. Apparently Walz called him the day after he recruited Asia Durr, seemingly having more interest in playing UConn after that event. But even so, not enough to produce a signed contract (at least not yet).
I can believe it; Dawn has said it's been difficult to schedule quality non-conference teams the better her teams have gotten. As a fan, I'd sure rather play UNC than NC Central. At least we do get to play Syracuse, Duke and UCONN in our Non-conference schedule this year, but the best home game we've had so far was against Southern Cal. I'll include Clemson too, since they're our arch-rival, but they're awful right now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not envy any of the people involved with scheduling for college basketball teams - it is not an easy puzzle to put together as everyone is dealing with multiple scheduling issues and trying to shoehorn 10 or so non-conference games into a two month window with multiple holidays and school scheduling issues (exams.)
Uconn scheduling folks said they already had a problem next year because they had over committed to specific games and needed to try and work one of those games into a holiday tournament because they had run out of allowed games plus a holiday tournament. Add in a desire to get regional exposure (somewhat eased by the breadth of the AAC schools), desire not to over travel, and to combine trips (west coast swing kind of thing) and it is not as simple as choosing teams to play even if everyone wants to get something done. Gene also likes to spread conference exposure and not overplay a single conference (one of the reasons UNC got dropped when we started the home and home with Maryland.) Just not a simple equation. And for some teams there is an AD directive (money driven) that x number of games have to be home games in the OOC so some of those have to be the cupcake variety that do not require the return visit.

And a team like Baylor who with Griner and Sims was playing a really strong OOC chose to pull back seriously the past two years because they had a young team and Kim didn't want to overtax them early in the year. SC was playing a pretty terrible schedule until this year when Dawn added some red meat and hopefully that continues with them.

Duke has just completed a killer 30 days - playing in order TA&M, Neb, SCar, UK and Uconn with a not dreadful Oklahoma and one cupcake. Not sure I remember any WCBB team playing a tougher 30 days of basketball so yes I can understand JPM's comments about it not being a great thing - especial considering she has ended up starting three freshman. And I assume somewhere in there her team was taking finals.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The AAC should have an agreement with the Big East where teams play each other. Other conferences do it, so should the Big East and AAC. I don't think the conference as a whole is ready to take on one of the Power Conferences, nor do I think they would agree to schedule games with the AAC at a Conference level.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Everyone in Waco thoroughly enjoyed the UCONN games but Kim just didn't have the horses to run with UCONN this year so a game where Baylor got beat down would not have benefitted this team. Maybe next year forward Kim will want that challenge again.

Reaction Score
So L'ville is ducking us, duke didn't renew and notre dame only renewed because they were called out. Maybe the ACC is a lot of talk but not willing to back it up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think it's a problem which is only going to intensify over the years

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Interesting when posters predict events and issues over "years"...nuggets of wisdom thrown on the vast waters of an uniformed BoneYard populace.

Reaction Score
I could see that. Teams saying "we play a tough conference schedule already" so we don't need to play UConn. They will not be able to escape UConn in the tourney however, the time of year when it counts most, and as Geno says, his teams always have the advantage when the opponent hasn't played them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn can only play those teams that are willing to play them, like South Carolina, Texas A&M, UCLA, Florida St. and LSU. How about Texas, Kentucky, Nebraska, North Carolina again, Oregon State, Maryland, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Syracuse, Arizona State, Michigan State? There's a long list, but will they play the Huskies? It looks as though Brigham Young has disappeared after losing their center? Delaware has also disappeared.
I would love to see Texas, Nebraska or Oregon State on the schedule and perhaps A&M as well. Syracuse - meh, although some of the pregame quotes out of Western New York can make good theater.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if there were a yearly "Champions Classic" early in the regular season?

Perhaps an 8-team field played like a tournament--with the previous year's conference champions from the so-called P5 and three at-large teams. There could be a loser's bracket to guarantee each team plays multiple games.

Or even a 4-team round-robin format with the previous season's Final Four teams invited.

In either format at most each team would play 3 games--which could be done in the space of a long holiday tournament weekend. It would allow top teams to play each other, while relieving many of the scheduling pressures, politics, and contingencies that come with a top team trying to schedule another top team one-on-one.

Of course, teams wouldn't know they were in it until the end of the previous season when they either clinched their conference or made it to the Final Four.

But I love the thought of dodging so much of the politics and contingencies that come with top teams scheduling each other. If you reach a certain level of success in the previous season (either winning your conference or making it to the Final Four), the Champions Classic would guarantee that you are going to meet in the regular season the following year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The P5 teams get about half the spots in the Tourney, and yet as the calendar year finishes up with teams having played mainly the OOC part of their schedules, only 25 of the 65 P5 teams have an SOS in the top 100, or about 38.5%. Many of these teams will say that a brutal conference schedule forces them to "take it easy" in OOC play, but the B12 has played a mainly horrific OOC (5 teams in the #300+ SOS and 2 in the #200+ among the 10 teams) and only half of the teams are even in the top 50 power rating at this point, so the B12 teams will be getting a pass on soft flabby schedules that let them build great looking records against weak competition in and out of conference. The SEC has almost the same situation, but at least with Vanderbilt sitting currently at #50 they can claim to have more than half of their teams (8 of 14) in the top 50.

As the P5 teams continue to move toward just slogging through froth in OOC play, there is going to be a big opportunity for the top hungry small conference programs like Green Bay, Dayton, Gonzaga, Middle Tenn, Chattanooga, maybe now Princeton along with teams from the mid major AAC, A10, and Big East to fill in the voids left by the P5 sleepwalkers who stumble over each other after New Year's and follow up a 14-0 start with a 5-9 finish. Maybe this year the committee won't think that 2-8 is an acceptable way to end the season for P5 teams with #300+ OOC schedules.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to arguing against some of what people are saying here. However, I have the feeling that it has always been difficult to schedule games. As for Uconn being in the AAC, it's more a fan problem then a team problem. Why have we enjoyed the 30 points win against Duke then the same score against SMU? Are we a better team because we can beat Duke by 30 while the same score against ECU would tell us little? The mindset at Conn is that you play at a certain level regardless of the team before you. If you have a problem with that then you should go elsewhere. It is the very high school kids who are still very high schoolish who select a school because they are in a "great" conf- they get to play all the "big" schools (and the coaches who have to sell themselves via association). I will not downplay the so-called P5 conferences because money matters- but, there is little more then tv bucks. As for these P5 conf. we have too many enemies in the ACC who are against us for this or that reason, so I would not hold out; the B12 would be like wearing a pair of shoes that hurt (place and culture are off) leaving the B10. Strangely, the latter has emerged as the only one that would make sense as RU and Maryland would ease any pain.

Reaction Score
I could see that. Teams saying "we play a tough conference schedule already" so we don't need to play UConn.

C'mon - those are just cheap weasel words. Do you know how many years the New Mexico wbb head coach Tom Flanagan ducked UConn? He finally got the Lobos into the Top 25, then he found different weasel words.

Words are cheap.

Geno ought to tell Jeff Walz "I fart in your general direction!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting when posters predict events and issues over "years"...nuggets of wisdom thrown on the vast waters of a uniformed BoneYard populace.

I'd love to see Biff's vision of the "uniformed" Boneyard populace. Would there be stripes on their uniform?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
C'mon - those are just cheap weasel words. Do you know how many years the New Mexico wbb head coach Tom Flanagan ducked UConn? He finally got the Lobos into the Top 25, then he found different weasel words.

Words are cheap.

LMAO!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Words are cheap.

It is difficult to arguing against some of what people are saying here. However, I have the feeling that it has always been difficult to schedule games. As for Uconn being in the AAC, it's more a fan problem then a team problem. Why have we enjoyed the 30 points win against Duke then the same score against SMU? Are we a better team because we can beat Duke by 30 while the same score against ECU would tell us little? The mindset at Conn is that you play at a certain level regardless of the team before you. If you have a problem with that then you should go elsewhere. It is the very high school kids who are still very high schoolish who select a school because they are in a "great" conf- they get to play all the "big" schools (and the coaches who have to sell themselves via association). I will not downplay the so-called P5 conferences because money matters- but, there is little more then tv bucks. As for these P5 conf. we have too many enemies in the ACC who are against us for this or that reason, so I would not hold out; the B12 would be like wearing a pair of shoes that hurt (place and culture are off) leaving the B10. Strangely, the latter has emerged as the only one that would make sense as RU and Maryland would ease any pain.

LMAO!!!

I'm so confused, the Big 12 is now 10 and the Big 10 is now 14??? And we wonder why our kids are math challenged! Truth... for WCBB UConn is writing a new truth about conferences and greatness and not too many can stomach it. Guess what: Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom