OT: - Something different - tap dancing | The Boneyard

OT: Something different - tap dancing

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've got Singin' in the Rain on while I'm doing some paperwork. Interesting factoid - 19 year old Debbie Reynolds did not know how to tap dance before making the movie. She was given 3 months of intense training before filming. Despite her inexperience, Debbie held her own dancing with two incredible dancers in Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. The video below shows them in Good Mornin', a classic.

Anyone else love the art of tap dancing and have a favorite dancer/song?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The famous "Challenge" scene from the beloved 1989 film "Tap." In order, Arthur Duncan, Bunny Briggs, Jimmy Slyde, Steve Condos, Harold Nicholas, Sandman Sims and of course, Sammy Davis Jr. All masters of the art and still making it look easy in their 60s and 70s.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
For something completely different, this Tango scene from Scent of a Woman gets me every time.

To everyone who disliked this scene because of technique, it wasn’t supposed to be perfect. He was blind, she was a beginner. It was about the beauty of the scene, I loved it
emoji_u1f339.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've got Singin' in the Rain on while I'm doing some paperwork. Interesting factoid - 19 year old Debbie Reynolds did not know how to tap dance before making the movie. She was given 3 months of intense training before filming. Despite her inexperience, Debbie held her own dancing with two incredible dancers in Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. The video below shows them in Good Mornin', a classic.

That always fascinates me as well. Supposedly she was miserable for much of the movie, yet you look at all three of them and they appear to be having so much fun and the dancing so effortless.

Here's a modern dance movie stars are neither known for being singers nor dancers:

Reaction Score
I'm no good at transferring stuff, but if you go to YouTube and look up Fred Astaire and
Eleanor Powell dancing to Begin the Beguine, you will see 2 min and 52 sec of some of
the best tap dancing you will ever see.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm no good at transferring stuff, but if you go to YouTube and look up Fred Astaire and
Eleanor Powell dancing to Begin the Beguine, you will see 2 min and 52 sec of some of
the best tap dancing you will ever see.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Gene Kelly dancing in the rain in that movie is one of my favorites.

Reaction Score
From my personal collection. January 17, 1999. This is Rod Ferrone performing at Swing 46 on New York's Restaurant Row at which legendary tap dancer/vaudevillian, Buster Brown, hosted a tap dance jam every Sunday evening. Buster welcomed and encouraged any and all tap dancers; from current and past Broadway performers to aspiring young tap dancers having only recently taken their first lessons. Always a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
Gregory and Maurice Hines TAP DANCE 1984

I went to HS with Gregory Hines in NYC!
Sadly he passed away several years ago!

Last time I saw Mr. Hines was at Buster Brown's funeral in 2002. An outstanding, versatile performer and a very nice guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom