Someone Tell Me About St. Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brimah will cause them serious issues . We can even feed him the rock

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg predicts that we will lose to St. Joe's...says that Galloway will go off against us.

Reaction Score
As others have said, they have no depth. If we can get Kanacevic in foul trouble we should have a relatively easy time. If he stays on the court for 35+ minutes I think it'll be a close game.

Buddy of mine is a St. Joe's alum who still follows the team closely, he's about as level-headed as an alum can be...

• Galloway - Scoring guard, their leading scorer. Very good shooter. Not a great handler, finisher or playmaker. Lanky/weaker of their two guards. Decent defender because of his length.
  • Wilson - Strong guard. Quicker, more explosive and better attacker than Galloway. Not a great ball handler or passer.
  • Bembry - Versatile freshman, does a little of everything. Calm and composed for a freshman. Might wind up being the best player they've had since Jameer Nelson but thankfully he's just a frosh for now.
  • Roberts Jr - Super athletic, great leaper. Thin and a tad undersized but plays almost entirely inside. Good rebounder. Hustle/garbage type of guy. 4-year starter has never attempted a 3PT in his college career. Might be better with Brimah/Nolan on him but Daniels gives up about 60 lbs to Kanacevic.
  • Kanacevic - Smart, play-making big man. Leads their team in assists. Brings the ball up the floor some times, good passer, can shoot but isn't a huge scoring threat. Not a great match up for Brimah, wouldn't be surprised if Nolan plays as much as possible. As mentioned above, Daniels is probably too weak to guard him.

Sounds like we need to pressure their guards and attack inside offensively.

Reaction Score
worst case for uconn is roberts, kanacevic and galloway having their normal games plus wilson having no turnovers and bembry scoring transition baskets. that is sju at their best.

best case is kanacevic committing stupid fouls as he has much of the year, galloway getting buttoned up outside and wilson playing like a freshman pg.

no idea which sju will show up, but close to the worst case showed up for vcu today.

when is uconn at their best?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Scouting report from ESPN insider <15 % of article:
Offensive approach: The Hawks use lots of ball screens to get looks for their different scoring options. They are best when multiple players are getting involved, and while depth isn't plentiful, they do a good job of spreading around the scoring. Someone new can step up every night, which bodes well in late-game situations because there's no telling who could make the next big play.

Defensive approach: Typically man-to-man but will occasionally mix in a 2-3 matchup zone. The Hawks are aided by having two excellent rebounders in Kanacevic and Roberts to limit second-chance opportunities. Saint Joseph's lacks the team speed to turn opponents over, but when Galloway and company are locked in they can make it hard for opponents to score.

How they beat you: Saint Joseph's best games this season have come when it has played a controlled tempo and gotten meaningful contributions from all five of its starters. Establishing Kanacevic and Roberts early opens things up for Galloway and Bembry to step out and get good shots in the flow of the offense.

How you beat them: Take away the 3-point line and force Galloway and Chris Wilson to beat you off the dribble. Their foot speed leaves something to be desired, and a quick, sound defensive team will cause problems for them in the tournament.

Reaction Score

Napier being Napier.

Boatright takes care of ball and doesn't over dribble and finishes (and passes ball).

Daniels makes threes and scores.

Giffey makes threes.

Brimah is a presence inside.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN also beat Cincy twice and Memphis 3 times. I would be concerned about those as well.

Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg predicts that we will lose to St. Joe's...says that Galloway will go off against us.

They also had us on upset alert in 2011 against Bucknell. How'd that work out?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
here's there summary about UConn:
Best-case scenario: Sweet 16
UConn plays sticky defense and possesses a big-time guard in Napier. However, getting past the Sweet 16 seems as unlikely as Will Ferrell winning a Best Actor Oscar, unless Napier plays off-the-charts basketball for the next couple of weeks. Even then, he'll need some help.

Worst-case scenario: One and done
Ollie is coaching in his first NCAA tourney and Storrs has been home to stronger UConn teams. A first-game flameout wouldn't be a total stunner.

Reaction Score
worst case for uconn is roberts, kanacevic and galloway having their normal games plus wilson having no turnovers and bembry scoring transition baskets. that is sju at their best.

best case is kanacevic committing stupid fouls as he has much of the year, galloway getting buttoned up outside and wilson playing like a freshman pg.

no idea which sju will show up, but close to the worst case showed up for vcu today.

You're team is fun to watch. Pulled for you guys against VCU. Wish we were playing someone else.

Reaction Score
I'm currently getting my M.A. in Teaching Special Ed from St. Joes. Sadly not on the all female undergrad campus but conveniently they have satellite cohorts all across the state so I'm right near work in Killingly.

Oh, you mean that St Joe's? No clue.

Reaction Score
They also had us on upset alert in 2011 against Bucknell. How'd that work out?

So did Gottlieb. They thought the Bucknell guard would go off.( or hoped he would)

Greenberg also picks Duke to be in the championship game so don't
Get too worked up about what he thinks

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Common opponents: both had BU at home and both won: UConn by 17, St. Joe's by 6.
Both played at Temple, UConn won by 13, St. Joe's lost by 8.
That being said, they are playing better lately.

Reaction Score
As others have said, they have no depth. If we can get Kanacevic in foul trouble we should have a relatively easy time. If he stays on the court for 35+ minutes I think it'll be a close game.

Buddy of mine is a St. Joe's alum who still follows the team closely, he's about as level-headed as an alum can be...

• [ ]Galloway - Scoring guard, their leading scorer. Very good shooter. Not a great handler, finisher or playmaker. Lanky/weaker of their two guards. Decent defender because of his length.
    [ ]Wilson - Strong guard. Quicker, more explosive and better attacker than Galloway. Not a great ball handler or passer.
    [ ]Bembry - Versatile freshman, does a little of everything. Calm and composed for a freshman. Might wind up being the best player they've had since Jameer Nelson but thankfully he's just a frosh for now.
    [ ]Roberts Jr - Super athletic, great leaper. Thin and a tad undersized but plays almost entirely inside. Good rebounder. Hustle/garbage type of guy. 4-year starter has never attempted a 3PT in his college career. Might be better with Brimah/Nolan on him but Daniels gives up about 60 lbs to Kanacevic.
    [ ]Kanacevic - Smart, play-making big man. Leads their team in assists. Brings the ball up the floor some times, good passer, can shoot but isn't a huge scoring threat. Not a great match up for Brimah, wouldn't be surprised if Nolan plays as much as possible. As mentioned above, Daniels is probably too weak to guard him.

Sounds like we need to pressure their guards and attack inside offensively.

What I got out of this is that their two guards are not good ball handlers.

Turn them over!!

Reaction Score
for people saying martelli is a better coach, have you seen his record the past decade? he's had two 20 loss seasons back to back recently, and has been to the tourney twice since 04. According to palatine-like logic he should have been fired years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom