Someone is noticing the scores

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
C1905AF9-86E4-46F9-B4FF-BD1C20F6935E.jpeg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What's fascinating in Nan's observation of CBS' report is the increasing margin of victory, game by game.

Surely the result of a greater understanding and execution of the defensive schemes.

About the increased offensive efficiency, I leave that to others...but Paige's increased aggression and return to form, Aaliyah's dominance and the freshman finding themselves, all plays a role.

And a good killer instinct in all this, once they get a team down, they don't let up (ok, there was that 3rd quarter, last night)...but the "D" remained focused throughout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FOX Sports has the primary contract with the big east. For games it chooses not to broadcast, CBS Sportsnet has an opportunity to purchase and broadcast games. There after SNY has bought the remaining UConn women's games. ESPN is only involved if the game is played away out of conference, or at a neutral venue.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What's fascinating in Nan's observation of CBS' report is the increasing margin of victory, game by game.

Surely the result of a greater understanding and execution of the defensive schemes.

About the increased offensive efficiency, I leave that to others...but Paige's increased aggression and return to form, Aaliyah's dominance and the freshman finding themselves, all plays a role.

And a good killer instinct in all this, once they get a team down, they don't let up (ok, there was that 3rd quarter, last night)...but the "D" remained focused throughout.
Speaking of MOV, here's a graph showing a running average of PPG for UConn (blue), opponents (red), and score differential (green). Some good trends.
1704384720949.png

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
unbanked?
A new category?
(But I get the point).

Reaction Score
These are POY numbers.
They certainly would be in any normal year. However this year she is up against someone who has been able to embed herself in the public‘s mind (rightfully so) as the best player in basketball for two years while Paige disappeared. Additionally, she (Clark) is playing better than ever this season! She is putting up numbers that are really unheard of in recent history. 31.5 ppg,
7 rbds, and 7.4 assists! ( Just yesterday she hit a 30 foot buzzer beater to win their last game!) All this while shooting 49% overall and 40% from three! She is almost certainly going to shatter Kelsey Plum’s scoring record and has held the virtually unquestioned position of either best or co-best women’s player (with Boston) ever since Paige’s first injury two and a half years ago. She’s been able to do all this mostly because she is a very good player but also because she plays on a team where she is the unquestioned engine that drives her team. It’s unusual for her to shoot less than 20 shots per game. (Her buzzer beater came in a game where she put the ball up 34 times, a full 20 of which were threes!) She is encouraged, no, required to put up those kinds of numbers because her team could not win without them.

Paige, on the other hand, plays a completely different game, imo, a far more beautiful game and true to the intent and the very soul of the game. She, rather than hoisting up shot after shot, instead makes sure that everyone on her team is working together like a well oiled machine, drawing the best out of each teammate while using her own otherworldly shooting ability “as needed”. Paige scored 24 points in her last game while shooting 12 times. She has only had one game this season where she shot the ball 20 times. Her average number of shots is 12.7 pg and she is averaging 19.6 ppg! I would concede that if Paige suddenly started shooting 23 shots every game, her % would likely drop. How much? That’s hard to say but I am sure that with an extra 11 shots per game, she would be scoring at least the same 31.5 as Clark and very likely more if she shot the equivalent number of threes as Clark. (Paige is currently shooting 54.7 overall and 52.5 on threes) Paige shoots a tad over 4 threes per game while Clark shoots almost 13!

My point here is not to diminish the truly remarkable accomplishments of Clark, a transcendental player whose like we are not likely to see for some time. It is rather, to point out that there are different roads that lead to the same place. There is the Interstate and there is the “scenic route“. After all this, I’m guessing the cat‘s out of the bag on which of these two truly generational players I believe is the best. However, I don’t believe there’s any chance that the person holding up the NPOY trophy at the end of the season will be anyone but Clark. She simply has too many visual, numerical, and media attention driven advantages! Advantages that she has rightfully earned by the way. Even so, however, I choose the scenic route over the Interstate every time!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom