Some thoughts UConn Ohio St | The Boneyard

Some thoughts UConn Ohio St

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well a few months ago we were wondering what we would do about a 5th starter. We wondered about ONO Megan and CW. Well those 3 have done a nice job. CD we knew we could count on. Geno mentioned again this team is a work in process and it is. We need the 5th starter to score in double digets and the 6th and 7th playes to contribute points.

Yesterday again we missed a bunch of layups. I lost count at about 13. Were we fouled? Well I gotta wonder because a team with as many super players as we have, shouldnt miss that many layups. The refs let them play and Ohio St was physical .

The game was slowed down and our fast break pretty much non exsistent as Ohio St got back to defend. We found a way to pull it out. Irwin needs to find a way to get her shot off. Whether she learns how to create or picks are set for her or shes on the weak side open. She hits her outside shots and we need to see her shoot more of them. Geno showed frustration yesterday with Big Mak. She couldnt get her shot off. Maybe her defender was a little quick for her. I would like to see her use more pump fakes and get defenders to bite on it and then shoot and pick up some fouls. Griff is going to see alot more action. She need to develop all the talent and insticts she has, however Mak and Irwin right now play with experience something Griff doesnt have yet, so I see her coming off the bench and gaining confidence while learning the UConn system.

Bottom line is we are young. We need time to devlop. It will be ugly at times which I attribute to growing pains. Its gonna be like that for the next 2 years as we bring in more freshman and they become sophomores. However this season we are creating a nucleaus from which we can depend on in the future.

We've been spoiled. Remember Stewie Maya Tina and DT. They had their ups and downs just like we're seeing with our team this season. We've already seen alot of improvement this season and yesterday against a taller and more physical team we didnt. Thats just the way its gonna be until we find ourselves as a team. Our core 4 look for their shots, look to create the others didnt yesterday. Big Mak is a really good player however she needs to learn how to create and needs to dribble drive. Outside of our core 4 we dont have alot of experience on the court.

We are at a point this season where many of us knew we'd be. We were concerned about a 5th starter, we were concerned about no bench, we were concerned about having enough players on the bench we were concerned about height, we were concerned about ONO in foul trouble and so on. Well alot of our concerns have been answered however the 5th starter scoreing has not. So we need patience because at some point it will happen. When it does those 10 pt wins will turn into 20 pt wins. Yesterday showed guts and grit. We hung in and our core 4 answered when we needed it. This is the way it will be until everybody else other then our core 4 make it happen.

HGN

Reaction Score
Well a few months ago we were wondering what we would do about a 5th starter. We wondered about ONO Megan and CW. Well those 3 have done a nice job. CD we knew we could count on. Geno mentioned again this team is a work in process and it is. We need the 5th starter to score in double digets and the 6th and 7th playes to contribute points.

Yesterday again we missed a bunch of layups. I lost count at about 13. Were we fouled? Well I gotta wonder because a team with as many super players as we have, shouldnt miss that many layups. The refs let them play and Ohio St was physical .

The game was slowed down and our fast break pretty much non exsistent as Ohio St got back to defend. We found a way to pull it out. Irwin needs to find a way to get her shot off. Whether she learns how to create or picks are set for her or shes on the weak side open. She hits her outside shots and we need to see her shoot more of them. Geno showed frustration yesterday with Big Mak. She couldnt get her shot off. Maybe her defender was a little quick for her. I would like to see her use more pump fakes and get defenders to bite on it and then shoot and pick up some fouls. Griff is going to see alot more action. She need to develop all the talent and insticts she has, however Mak and Irwin right now play with experience something Griff doesnt have yet, so I see her coming off the bench and gaining confidence while learning the UConn system.

Bottom line is we are young. We need time to devlop. It will be ugly at times which I attribute to growing pains. Its gonna be like that for the next 2 years as we bring in more freshman and they become sophomores. However this season we are creating a nucleaus from which we can depend on in the future.

We've been spoiled. Remember Stewie Maya Tina and DT. They had their ups and downs just like we're seeing with our team this season. We've already seen alot of improvement this season and yesterday against a taller and more physical team we didnt. Thats just the way its gonna be until we find ourselves as a team. Our core 4 look for their shots, look to create the others didnt yesterday. Big Mak is a really good player however she needs to learn how to create and needs to dribble drive. Outside of our core 4 we dont have alot of experience on the court.

We are at a point this season where many of us knew we'd be. We were concerned about a 5th starter, we were concerned about no bench, we were concerned about having enough players on the bench we were concerned about height, we were concerned about ONO in foul trouble and so on. Well alot of our concerns have been answered however the 5th starter scoreing has not. So we need patience because at some point it will happen. When it does those 10 pt wins will turn into 20 pt wins. Yesterday showed guts and grit. We hung in and our core 4 answered when we needed it. This is the way it will be until everybody else other then our core 4 make it happen.
Tony , I agree. In short , everybody wants a piece of Uconn right now and usually play their BEST game against the Huskies. Ohio State was pumped yesterday. And had their best game of the young season even in a loss. Their best player had her best game of the season so far. The Huskies can expect to see more of the same as the season rolls along.

I agree also on what you said about Makurat. Though she can handle the ball and provides some size , she lacks speed which Ohio State exploited. On comes Griffen as you pointed out, and Kyla to some extent. All total as I see it , the Huskies will see more games like this one with a few losses along the way.

But I am encouraged , because the team is learning and getting better , and help comes next year in the form of 5 talented freshmen. And the Huskies lose only 1 starter.

GO HUSKIES!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When did Ono fracture her toe?
We don’t know specifically. What we do know is that it’s her pinky toe and it didn’t happen during basketball practice or games. Probably stubbed her toe walking around her dorm room in her bare feet. It’s not a major problem. Liv will just have to deal with some pain and discomfort until it heals.

Reaction Score

Not sure anything I have seen this year has been a surprise. We have 4 starters playing solid ball-most teams would love to say the same. Geno still trying to figure out how to maximize production and coach through the lack of PG's and Big's on bench. Like your idea of more picks-today a lot more one on one plays than past years (not a bad thing if in balance). Suggest we will win against the top team by maximizing production from the top 4 and keeping the energy up when bench comes in.

Reaction Score

We're not just "young." We're short. Just took a look at Tennessee's roster. They have eight players who are 6'2" or taller. Indeed, there is just one kid on the roster who is not at least 6'0" tall. They have two players who are 6'5", and another who is 6'4".

A lot of people here have poo-poo'd talk about not being a tall team. Well, we are barely positive in rebounding margin through the first five games, and we've been bested in offensive rebounding in three of five (?) games so far.

It's shocking to see teams like Tennessee and Oregon and Baylor with so many redwoods on the roster, and compare their rosters to ours.

Yes, we have two more tall players coming in in subsequent years. But that's a long way off. As the old saying goes, you can't teach height...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We're not just "young." We're short. Just took a look at Tennessee's roster. They have eight players who are 6'2" or taller. Indeed, there is just one kid on the roster who is not at least 6'0" tall. They have two players who are 6'5", and another who is 6'4".

A lot of people here have poo-poo'd talk about not being a tall team. Well, we are barely positive in rebounding margin through the first five games, and we've been bested in offensive rebounding in three of five (?) games so far.

It's shocking to see teams like Tennessee and Oregon and Baylor with so many redwoods on the roster, and compare their rosters to ours.

Yes, we have two more tall players coming in in subsequent years. But that's a long way off. As the old saying goes, you can't teach height...
Yes, and so far this season UConn has taken down four P-5 teams with superior size than the Huskies by double digits. We are who we are, and that’s pretty damned good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, and so far this season UConn has taken down four P-5 teams with superior size than the Huskies by double digits. We are who we are, and that’s pretty damned good.
BTW, Cal, picked to finish 10th in the Pac 12, just took out #20 Arkansas. So for people who are pooh-poohing our early schedule, I think only Vandy was a true "cupcake"...

Am I worried? Yes. I always worry. It's my nature. But no matter what happens, Williams, ONO, Makurat and Griffin are pretty much trial by fire. There simply is no one else. They will either get it, or they won't. Obviously the 2 sophomores have a year experience and are playing really well, if just not with enough consistency, but the freshmen will be much better for what they are going thru.

No matter who we have coming up, I see Anna as a 4 year starter. And I see Aubrey as the 1st off the bench - energizer bunny. Similar to Ashley Battle - never a starter, but a really good player, who also had a really solid pro career...

Reaction Score
Unless Anna shows more offense this season she doesn't look like a 4 year starter with the talent coming here starting next year. I see her as a player off the bench.

Reaction Score
BTW, Cal, picked to finish 10th in the Pac 12, just took out #20 Arkansas. So for people who are pooh-poohing our early schedule, I think only Vandy was a true "cupcake"...

Am I worried? Yes. I always worry. It's my nature. But no matter what happens, Williams, ONO, Makurat and Griffin are pretty much trial by fire. There simply is no one else. They will either get it, or they won't. Obviously the 2 sophomores have a year experience and are playing really well, if just not with enough consistency, but the freshmen will be much better for what they are going thru.

No matter who we have coming up, I see Anna as a 4 year starter. And I see Aubrey as the 1st off the bench - energizer bunny. Similar to Ashley Battle - never a starter, but a really good player, who also had a really solid pro career...

I'm not sure Makurat will start another game this year, let alone the rest of her career. Judging by her second half benching in the OSU game it's obvious that Coach Auriemma has his concerns as well. The additions of Westbrook, Bueckers, Muhl, McClean, and Edwards will only cause more competition next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree that the competition for PT next season will be ferocious, this season has a long way to go. Anna will have additional opportunities to establish herself as the 5th starter, as will Aubrey and Kyla. I’m just hoping they are all providing solid minutes by March.

Reaction Score

Until those tall teams start beating Uconn with their height (all those tall players can't play at the same time), I am not as concerned about height as I am about the lack of instinctive motion on the offense.

Reaction Score
Ania is smart, and her offense will come along. However, she is a defensive liability. She has yet to keep a good guard in front of her. They drive by her as though she is not there. I just re-watched the UVA and OSU games, and I was struck by this. She has slow feet.

Reaction Score

Do you think any of this year's teams could have beaten the 2002 UConn team where the tallest starter was 6'2"? All three starters in the front court were 6'2".

Reaction Score
You guys kill me ..... you would think WE were 2-2 or 2-3.....WE are winning get over it.... win by 2 or 52 ... a win is a win...... Let's start speaking positive about OUR team.... and the good things will happen!!!!!!

Reaction Score

That's not to be forgotten.

For those of us who would like to beat UConn, this looks like a team with weaknesses for once. And that's very hopeful particularly to those of us who get them at home.

But the strengths are enormous.

If you sent this roster most anywhere else, that program would be making noise about how great a season they might be able to have with such stars.

It's all just perspective.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Am I worried? Yes. I always worry. It's my nature.
Lol, same. It's always easy to see the chinks in the armor this time year. The answers are less apparent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom