Some thoughts on Tonites game | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Tonites game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We've got alot of good depth and foul trouble should not be an issue. Our 9 player depth leaves us with players that can come in and we loose very little. With that said we need not to foul especially early in the game. NC State cant afford foul trouble. UConn can attack the basket because Cunane cant afford foul trouble. As it is UConn has a size advantage over NC State as well. Im hoping we're healthy tonite especially Caroline and Paige. I am waiting for a breakout game of Caroline Azzi and Paige from the outside.

If Cunane gets in foul trouble it could be over quickly. With that said we should have our way underneath with our height advantage at every position.

For those coming to the game. The tradition of meeting at the half in front of Limmericks inside the Arena will hold true. I will be in Limmericks before the game for a bite to eat with a couple of Boneyarders. It would be great to be able to put a face to the screen name and chat about the game. Hope to see you all there.

GO HUSKIES

Tonyc

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Against ND, NC State committed 5 fouls all game, each starter committing 1. I found this quite interesting because in the State games that I have watched this season, it seemed like Cunane always committed 2 fouls in the first half, resulting in bench time and the other players also committing some. Against Kansas State, they committed 13 with Cunane having 2 and her backup having 4.
I am guessing that the refs may play a big part in how this game is played.

Reaction Score
I agree that the Huskies just need to play a proper inside out game, the way South Carolina did against Creighton, and take full take advantage of our height advantage. If our bigs put in the kind of performance they did against Indiana, then all matchups one through five should be a nightmare for NC State.

On the other hand, if we get bogged down in pretty perimeter passing and of the style of play that makes Liv our assists leader and main facilitator, then it will be much more difficult. I call that playing outside in, and that's how we played against the much smaller Arkansas last season. Their guards are much older than ours, so we don't want to make it a completely guard-centric game.

And hopefully the officiating won't be any kind of an x-factor again tonight.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
UConn has a considerable height advantage and should be able to block a bunch of their shots.
NCState averages 3.0 blocks per game while UConn averages 4.8 which we could even improve on.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not sure you can make any inference to the ND game for Cunnane. She clearly was the dominant big that Dodson struggled to stop and is why she had the foul trouble, not Cunnane. That will not be the case tonight as Cunnane will have 2 similar size bigs in ONO and Dorka at 6'5" and a 6'3" Aaliyah to contend with. When you add in the size mismatches on the guards as both Perez and Johnson are small, we can open the lane and post up our guards against them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn needs to maintain composure and focus on their mission. There is no reason to be so hyped that they commit turnovers and foul the other team. Make those damm layups and foul shots.
VOD, I'd give you 100 likes for this post if I could. :D Limit the fouls and turn overs, make ALL of your bunnies, and make your free throws. If the game is close in the final minute of the game, those made bunnies and free throws may be the difference in whether we win or not. Don't beat yourself. Make them beat you. Don't give away possessions. Don't give away points at the free throw line. :mad:

That's what I like about Stanford and South Carolina. They don't beat themselves. YOU have to do it!!! You have to take the game. They're not going to give it to you. They're not going to choke in the last 2-3 minutes. THAT should be our mindset going in to these remaining games.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The mystifying thing about missing the layups is that many of them completely miss the rim entirely - hit the back board on one side, the shot is so hard that it misses the rim and bounces down the other side of the back board.

I get that there are nerves, adrenaline, and what not, but it's mind boggling how bad the misses are. Not sure there is a fix - I guess hit the O-boards (or maybe dunk!!!) LOL.

And the missed FT's... Oy

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect UConn to penetrate and get inside especially Paige Azzi Caroline Christyn We can shoot over them. Cunane must stay out of foul trouble as does Edwards and ONO. I expect our stars to shine tonite....because this is what they came to UCONN for, games like this.

Reaction Score
I have said it numerous times, the turnovers and / or Foul shooting may very well be what sinks this team in the long run. Dear God I hope I'm wrong. This team is really bad at FT's and I just don't get it. Fundamentals will kill you if they're not mastered.

Texas learned this the HARD way yesterday. They were horrendous at the line.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to penetrate and get inside especially Paige Azzi Caroline Christyn We can shoot over them. Cunane must stay out of foul trouble as does Edwards and ONO. I expect our stars to shine tonite....because this is what they came to UCONN for, games like this.
Agreed Tonyc. I guess it will come down to which players on which team choose to be the best and play the best with NO FEAR tonight.
What scares me the most is some of our players have a tendency to play scared and won't show up. I'm not saying they will, just that some of them have in the past, including our seniors. Why, I don't know. I watched the two games last night. None of Stanford's players played scared. They beat Texas. They took the game. They were not going to be denied. South Carolina took the game from Creighton. Creighton was overmatched, but SC dominated the game as they should have. Creighton was never in that game.

If our players go into the game with a "NO FEAR' attitude and play smart and under control, we should win this game. We have to take it. NCS is not going to give it to us. They want to win also. They will not quit or give up. They are going to play like they want to play next week, so should we.

We need EVERYONE to bring something tonight. Whatever it is they can contribute, but they must bring something. Aaliyah, ONO, Christyn MUST show up tight and show up BIG. Azzi, Evina and Paige MUST contribute something also, but the game won't hinge solely on their production. They should play well, but will need help from Edwards, ONO and Williams.

This is the biggest game we'll play this year (so far). No excuses.......win or go home. We'll see what kind of heart out team has tonight. Do we TAKE WHAT WE WANT, or do we go home beaten and bowed? We'll see. Talk is cheap. Play like you want to win tonight. Like Sue Bird told her teammates...................."When the ball comes your way, make a play."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
my thoughts? same as last fall, last winter, this morning, now.
istock-881556748.jpg

preview of the 3rd quarter.
next!

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have said it numerous times, the turnovers and / or Foul shooting may very well be what sinks this team in the long run. Dear God I hope I'm wrong. This team is really bad at FT's and I just don't get it. Fundamentals will kill you if they're not mastered.

This WAS NOT a team effort by Texas. Only 5 players scored. Ebo only scored 2 pts and 3 rebounds in 39 minutes. :confused: Only 4 Texas players score multiple baskets. Box score

Reaction Score
I need UConn to win, I do not want SC to be my only final four successful prediction. I really expect UConn to win tonight but based upon what I saw last night Stanford will be a tough out. Huskies just take care of NCST tonight and after that win get the team ready for TWO epic victories!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tyson-GettyImages-72606234.jpg

next!
Posters can say you're wrong, but it will take our players to prove you wrong. Good or bad, all we can do is call it like we see it. Sometimes if you're honest, it's not pretty. :confused:

Reaction Score
This WAS NOT a team effort by Texas. Only 5 players scored. Ebo only scored 2 pts and 3 rebounds in 39 minutes. :confused: Only 4 Texas players score multiple baskets. Box score
Agree. FT shooting was just part of a myriad of things that they didn't take care of.

Reaction Score
I was shocked that Matharu only played 12 minutes with no points. I respect Vic as a top level coach but I feel he was outcoached last night. Got to give it to Stanford they have both great players and a great coach. STANFORD WILL BE A TOUGH OUT!

Carnac

Reaction Score
istock-881556748.jpg

next!
............and we'd better be the one standing with her arms raised!!!

Reaction Score

Free throw shooting absolutely decides close games. UConn is shooting about 57% free throw. That's bad. But Paige and Azzi are in the high 80%, Williams is fine. It's the other members of the team who must step up. As far as turnovers, that will kill you too. ND lost the game with 14 sec left due to a steal. I am sure that Geno is addressing those issues better than anybody. I am anxious but hopeful.

Reaction Score
Gotta put pressure on the NC State's other four. Let ONO or when she is out, AE or Dorka play Cunane straight up. Maybe front her a little bit. Go for the high percentage shot. Use Ducharme in the 4 as a change of pace. Whoever Cunane covers defensively should go high post use AE or Ducharme in a postup. Get some midrange shots for Azzi and Paige, be disciplined on the screens; eliminate the illegal screens. Don't travel and don't miss the layups.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Posters can say you're wrong, but it will take our players to prove you wrong. Good or bad, all we can do is call it like we see it. Sometimes if you're honest, it's not pretty. :confused:
call it like u see it? call it like u see it?
i guess u missed the cold, dark, and grey, winter months where many here shoulda been sent to the funny farm for their 'honest' opinions, yet 'look! here we are!' obviously, honest or otherwise, it was all just twaddle. i think my fav was 'geno's lost it, time for him to go.'
(dis)honorable mentions:
liv stinks.
dorka stinks.
azzi stinks.
aliyah stinks.
nika stinks.
evina stinks.
cw stinks.
cd stinks.
play the freshmen!
paige won't come back from the hospital until 2024!

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
The Bridgeport crowd will be the 6th man.
The Huskies will be playing with confidence while the Wolfpack feels the home court heat.

The data shows there may be a difference in home-court advantage, depending on how the home team plays. Teams that take more 2-point shots have more home-court advantage, while teams that take more 3-pointers have less home-court advantage.

"I suspect, and we don’t have the data to back this up fully, but I suspect it has to do with the referees being influenced by the crowd," said Harris. "The referees tend to have more of an impact on the game whenever teams are driving into the paint and taking those contested 2-point shots whereas on the 3-point line the refs are a little less involved."

Reaction Score
We have a height advantage all over the court, but I’m not sure we have bigs that demand the ball to take advantage inside. I’m intrigued to see if our size plays more of a role defensively than offensively, since we should be able to affect the vision of their guards and play their posts solo coverage. They do have a lot of capable shooters, so I’m hopeful we defend the 3 point line well.

I really think it’s a pretty even matchup, with both teams having advantages in certain areas. Should be a fun one to see play out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom