Some thoughts on the MWC news | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on the MWC news

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have several thoughts on the MWC situation that don't really fit into another thread.

1) Every combination is being evaluated with every network. The schools want to get it right.

2) This isn't just about the football TV contract. SDSU and Boise are clearly unhappy with their olympic sports situation, and I suspect that additional western schools are also less than enthusiastic about football only invites. With the C7 already gone, I am sure these schools are asking why is there a problem with a 2 division, all sports league? They are leveraging the weakness in the east to get all-sports invites, and frankly, I agree with their position.

3) ESPN really, really wants the Big East to dissolve. The Boise home game offer was driven by ESPN IMO, in part to sow dissension, and in part to actually get Boise if one of the leagues was desperate enough to do it. I don't think it will amount to anything.

4) I don't think the MWC is a credible threat to the Big East. The MWC contract still sucks, and I just don't see a scenario where Cincinnati and UConn are available and they are not included in a "best of the rest league".

4) UConn and Cincinnati are playing this cool as cucumbers, by every account. Either they think they have a home imminently, and/or they are not worried about not having a conference at the end of this process. Or Herbst has pissed everyone off to the point that a league would rather receive less money than have Uconn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe a large piece of this equation is fear by the MWC that (as the C-7 leaving is official) the remaining BE will cherry pick the remaining top few MWC programs and have both a full east and full west eight member all sports conference.

The public info that the MWC is attempting to bring Boise St back may be little more than a defensive move, telling a few remaining members "don't be so sure that leaving for the BE is a good idea".

Reaction Score
It will never happen, but the best thing is to start two new conferences from scratch - one in the East and one in the west, with 9 schools each and a common Championship game (if the NCAA allows).

New East: UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, ECU, USF, UCF, UH, SMU (kickout Tulane)

New West: BSU, SDSU, Fresno St., UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, UTEP/USU

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It will never happen, but the best thing is to start two new conferences from scratch - one in the East and one in the west, with 9 schools each and a common Championship game (if the NCAA allows).

New East: UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, ECU, USF, UCF, UH, SMU (kickout Tulane)

New West: BSU, SDSU, Fresno St., UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, UTEP/USU
Agree on starting from scratch but how does that affect a NCAA bid in bball? Don't the schools, or a certain number, need to play together for a certain number of years? That wouldn't work for making two new conferences.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
we can conjure up different hypotheticals all day long. the bottomline is if uconn doenst find a seat in a power conference, their atheletic programs will drop to mediocrity fairly quickly. lets be honest, football is already mediocre. the woman's hoops team will still thrive under geno and have a delayed fall, once he retires. the real loser in this is the uconn mens basketball team. for them to resemble anything like the "elite" program they have become in the last 20+ years, at worst they still need to be coupled with syracuse and pitt in a watered down acc. i just cant see them landing top recruits and being a destination program while playing under any of these hypothetical conferences that will love talking about.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I have several thoughts on the MWC situation that don't really fit into another thread.

1) Every combination is being evaluated with every network. The schools want to get it right.

2) This isn't just about the football TV contract. SDSU and Boise are clearly unhappy with their olympic sports situation, and I suspect that additional western schools are also less than enthusiastic about football only invites. With the C7 already gone, I am sure these schools are asking why is there a problem with a 2 division, all sports league? They are leveraging the weakness in the east to get all-sports invites, and frankly, I agree with their position.

3) ESPN really, really wants the Big East to dissolve. The Boise home game offer was driven by ESPN IMO, in part to sow dissension, and in part to actually get Boise if one of the leagues was desperate enough to do it. I don't think it will amount to anything.

4) I don't think the MWC is a credible threat to the Big East. The MWC contract still sucks, and I just don't see a scenario where Cincinnati and UConn are available and they are not included in a "best of the rest league".

4) UConn and Cincinnati are playing this cool as cucumbers, by every account. Either they think they have a home imminently, and/or they are not worried about not having a conference at the end of this process. Or Herbst has pissed everyone off to the point that a league would rather receive less money than have Uconn.

Much more likely: "...they think they have a home imminently, and/or they are not worried about not having a conference at the end of this process."

Its merely a matter of time. While its semi-interesting/depresing to consider which CUSA/MnWest schools Connecticut will be playing in 13-14, Connecticut's real focus should be on the eventual composition of the new acc after the B1G/SEC/B12 have devoured its current form.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Much more likely: "...they think they have a home imminently, and/or they are not worried about not having a conference at the end of this process."

Its merely a matter of time. While its semi-interesting/depresing to consider which CUSA/MnWest schools Connecticut will be playing in 13-14, Connecticut's real focus should be on the eventual composition of the new acc after the B1G/SEC/B12 have devoured its current form.

My concern is that Herbst thinks UConn DOES have a soft landing when it MAY have a soft landing. Planning around what we hope may happen is a terrible strategy, and frankly something that has been a hallmark of Herbst's thinking to date.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
My concern is that Herbst thinks UConn DOES have a soft landing when it MAY have a soft landing. Planning around what we hope may happen is a terrible strategy, and frankly something that has been a hallmark of Herbst's thinking to date.

Perhaps so. The jury is still out on her impact on Connecticut's athletic future.

I'm of the opinion that if Connecticut ultimately ends up in the B1G, it will be largely because of Herbst's leadership.

If we end up in the acc, it will be in spite of Herbst's leadership.

Reaction Score

UConn has a few attractive characteristics that will never change (flagship state university, strong academics, attractive demographics) - so I think we will always be in a good position when it comes to conference realignment. We just got really unlucky that the ACC had its worst football season ever when Maryland bolted, thus there was immense pressure for them to add a school with football upside. That pressure did not exist last year when they decided to not invite WVU - a much more logical choice.

It really goes to show how fickle realignment is. You hear the C7 thinking of adding Creighton, that would have been unheard of a few years back. Similarly you don't hear much about SLU - a prominent basketball program that has fallen on tough times. That's why I respect the B1G at least they made a longterm strategic decision. Everyone else is just choosing the flavor of the week.

Reaction Score
UConn has a few attractive characteristics that will never change (flagship state university, strong academics, attractive demographics) - so I think we will always be in a good position when it comes to conference realignment. We just got really unlucky that the ACC had its worst football season ever when Maryland bolted, thus there was immense pressure for them to add a school with football upside. That pressure did not exist last year when they decided to not invite WVU - a much more logical choice.

It really goes to show how fickle realignment is. You hear the C7 thinking of adding Creighton, that would have been unheard of a few years back. Similarly you don't hear much about SLU - a prominent basketball program that has fallen on tough times. That's why I respect the B1G at least they made a longterm strategic decision. Everyone else is just choosing the flavor of the week.

Nailed it!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Complete BS.

No one at UConn thinks they have a soft landing coming to them, least of all Herbst.

People think I'm pessimistic? Your hair would turn white if you heard what they think.

Reaction Score
Complete BS.

No one at UConn thinks they have a soft landing coming to them, least of all Herbst.

People think I'm pessimistic? Your hair would turn white if you heard what they think.

I think many of us would very much appreciate it if you would elaborate.

Reaction Score

I agree, two separate all sports East / West leagues with a common football championship game for a BCS bowl bid would be great for "the best of the rest". Nine teams in each league. It makes so much sense.

Why can't the parties involved get their act together and make this happen? In time I think it could become very successful and lucrative.

Reaction Score
Whether there is knowledge of a soft landing or not, there is a consensus that we need to build the academic foundation to set the stage for further conference shifting. In the meantime, we can't lock into one of these hybrid groups right now. (They will always be there for us to join.) Thus, it makes sense not to fire PP now and pay the buyout. Our attractivness as a program to attract the hot coaching staff will come in time. The entire idea of whether to spend big bucks or ratchet back depends on our landing spot--and while there is room for a chicken and egg conversation, SH has decided to push for AAU, raise the endowment, improve facilities, etc-- as a concomitant to her lobbying efforts. Had that all been done before she arrived, we wouldn't be having this conversation. SNY ratings, New England eyeballs, and the potential for greater viwership with better product makes us an attractive addition to either the ACC or B1G. Due to current football woes at the ACC, the deciders among them felt we lacked the requisite enthusiasm for our football program compared to the others. (Can you argue with that?) And yes, Cincy is exhibiting more of that right now than we are. But it may not matter given the shifts to come. With the amount of time expected before the next shoe drops, SH's approach may prove to be the most prudent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Saint Louis is talked about all the time as an option for the breakaway league. Creighton and most MVC schools have always had great support. That's an awesome league - I hope they stay together.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Complete BS.

Fishy,

This is pretty lame. You criticize the optimistic for their lack of information, then post this. Either back it up, or admit you are no better than the B1G crowd, just less fun.

Reaction Score
Whether there is knowledge of a soft landing or not, there is a consensus that we need to build the academic foundation to set the stage for further conference shifting. In the meantime, we can't lock into one of these hybrid groups right now. (They will always be there for us to join.) Thus, it makes sense not to fire PP now and pay the buyout. Our attractivness as a program to attract the hot coaching staff will come in time. The entire idea of whether to spend big bucks or ratchet back depends on our landing spot--and while there is room for a chicken and egg conversation, SH has decided to push for AAU, raise the endowment, improve facilities, etc-- as a concomitant to her lobbying efforts. Had that all been done before she arrived, we wouldn't be having this conversation. SNY ratings, New England eyeballs, and the potential for greater viwership with better product makes us an attractive addition to either the ACC or B1G. Due to current football woes at the ACC, the deciders among them felt we lacked the requisite enthusiasm for our football program compared to the others. (Can you argue with that?) And yes, Cincy is exhibiting more of that right now than we are. But it may not matter given the shifts to come. With the amount of time expected before the next shoe drops, SH's approach may prove to be the most prudent.
are you kidding with this patience and logical approach crap.
half this board is stocking up on torches and pitchforks and you throw out a reasoned post...
are you insane?

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Fishy,

This is pretty lame. You criticize the optimistic for their lack of information, then post this. Either back it up, or admit you are no better than the B1G crowd, just less fun.

Fishy's unlikely to elaborate. He has no sources with actual inside info. I think he respects the Boneyard too much to f%ck with it like that. This is just his opinion. Plus, he thrives on being the doomsday guy.

Reaction Score
Fishy's unlikely to elaborate. He has no sources with actual inside info. I think he respects the Boneyard too much to f%ck with it like that. This is just his opinion. Plus, he thrives on being the doomsday guy.

He isn't traditionally a doomsday guy, he is just very negative regarding CR. I think he knows a little bit from a connection or two--which he has been proven to have over the years. My guess is that Fishy knows that we have an uphill battle EVER getting the ACC votes because he knows for certain that both BC (a given) and Cuse (surprisingly) will continue to rail against our inclusion. That leaves us in trouble in every future vote.

Secondly, I think he knows with 95% certainty that B10 has expressed no interest at this point.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
He isn't traditionally a doomsday guy, he is just very negative regarding CR. I think he knows a little bit from a connection or two--which he has been proven to have over the years. My guess is that Fishy knows that we have an uphill battle EVER getting the ACC votes because he knows for certain that both BC (a given) and Cuse (surprisingly) will continue to rail against our inclusion. That leaves us in trouble in every future vote.

Secondly, I think he knows with 95% certainty that B10 has expressed no interest at this point.

Why do you think he knows with 95% certainty that B10 has expressed no interest at this point?

Reaction Score
Why do you think he knows with 95% certainty that B10 has expressed no interest at this point?

Because he talks to people at UConn and they probably tell him that they haven't heard a peep. The one thing I am hopeful about is that the B10 and Herbst are communicating and that she keeps it almost completely to herself. That would be wise of her since she gets abused in the press for "begging" the ACC. If I were her and/or Warde I would tell no one of any talks big or small with the B10. If we are in their plans, they do not want the ACC to know it ahead of time.

Reaction Score
Again its WAY out there, but I'd be interested to know if they can entice big 12 interest by offering games in NYC or Boston. If there is no threat of UConn going anywhere, its apparent the ACC is in no rush to add UConn . Not to mention the BC factor that wants to keep UConn out any cost. UConn should be selling themselves to anyone not named the ACC as that seems a waste of time at the moment.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Because he talks to people at UConn and they probably tell him that they haven't heard a peep. The one thing I am hopeful about is that the B10 and Herbst are communicating and that she keeps it almost completely to herself. That would be wise of her since she gets abused in the press for "begging" the ACC. If I were her and/or Warde I would tell no one of any talks big or small with the B10. If we are in their plans, they do not want the ACC to know it ahead of time.

Amen to that. Even if Fishy is in fact Herbst's nanny, priest or otherwise strategically situated in her inner circle, we can only hope her lips aren't loose....

The after stories of the Rutgers invite clearly confirmed few if any other than Pernetti and the Pres were in the loop. This of course is distressing as well as it also confirmed how much responsibility Pernetti assumed relating to the move.

In the galaxy if Rock Stars, if Pernetti is the Stones, Warde is new kids on the block....

Reaction Score
Syracuse and BC are threatened as private schools. They have a lot to lose. The transition at Syracuse is not going to be easy from Boeheim to Hopkins, just as it's been difficult on UConn. It's a real question that BC ever recovers. And if that conference breaks up, these schools will be in UConn's position and worse. And that's why there's an attitude. It has nothing to do with lawsuits, etc. Pitt was pushing that lawsuit too, and they are just fine.

No one knows what the future holds, but if the football schools break off from the NCAA, look for them to go to pay for play and in general, adopt a SEC semi-pro approach to sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom