Some thoughts on last nites game | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on last nites game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This was a learning experience for our young team. Uconn played hard. Alot of growing up came out of this game and alot of doubts were answered. Christyn and Evina showed what theyre made of in pressure situations. They showed they will step up and can be counted on. Paige just a great job never letting her poor shooting bother the way she played the game. She gutted it out. Our weaknesses and deficiencies were exploited last nite. They will be worked on and corrected. We shot the ball poorly and shot foul shots poorly and found a way to win. This shows me the team has a never quit attitude and raw guts. We have leaders on this team and they showed up last nite. A lot of question marks answered too. Christyns shooting has been questioned on this board, and last nite she stepped up and took over. Evina was clutch.

So why wasnt this a blowout like I and so many others thought? To start the game Tenn much like Miss St a few years ago in the NCAAs slowed the game down to almost a halt. They brought the ball upcourt and stood just over the half court line and let the clock tick away before starting their offense, keeping it a low scoring game. They kept Paige in check for the first part of the game. Christyn picked it up and showed why she was number 1 out of HS. THis game will go a long way for Christyns confidence. This game may have just been her breakout game. Against Tenns trees she found a way to score 20 pts. Another downfall was UConn had some starters on the bench early... and we were only down 1 pt at the half. I kept thinkin we're not in bad shape, down 1 with Paige shootng poorly, some key foul trouble with starters on the bench. Later in the game when we were playing catch up, we were still in foul trouble which hurt our defense then Paige twisted her ankle. Bottom line most of the game we werent at full strength. I call that overcoming obstacles.

Someone mentioned "IF" we were shooting better we wouldve won by alot more. Well if we made our foul shots we wouldve been fine. 6 more pts from the line wouldve gone a long way. But we didnt and we found what we are made of. We found a way to win. Over all our youth and inexperience showed up last nite as did our fight. Paige's killer shot with seconds left will go a long way for her the rest of the season.

Cancellation of the Miss St Baylor and LVille games showed up last nite too along with the long layoff because of the virus. When your not playing competitive and just come out to play especially in a big game on the road, with the pressure of a big game on national tv this is what happens. You dont play well..... you find a way to win. Winners never quit and we didnt quit. We grinded it out and then finally pulled it out. We didnt let Tenn put us away.

This game will go a long way for the rest of the season. We know what we have to work on. Our fears were overcome. We are going to see over the next couple of weeks how this game affected us into growing into a FF team. We have Georgetown which will give us an opportunity to correct and work on some of the things that were exploited in the Tenn game. Then we have ranked teams to play Depaul Arkansas and SC coming up. I would think that all 3 of these games will be slowed down and scores in the 60's much like Tenn did. These games will help us mature into the team we need to be to win the National Championship. We also learned last nite that the pieces are there to be great, we just have to grow into them.

Bottom line we didnt shoot well and we learned how to win when not shooting well.

Very Important note I left out. UConn learned how to win without their best stuff.

We're going to the TOP....the Very Top.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think South Carolina is not going to slow down the game.

Reaction Score
No way SC or even Arkansas will slow it down. UConn is most likely to slow it down by zoning. SC man up and run every time the ball comes off the rim so you better get back.

Reaction Score
Optimus Prime does it again!!! The glass is always half full!!!

Half full? Since when has Tonyc's glass been anything but overflowing.

Happy New Year Party GIF by Jackson-Triggs

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that every team has off or bad nights. We shot awful, we couldn't hit free throw, our team was blinded by garish orange lights. We started off the game with no inside presence and couldn't rebound. This is why most teams have wtf games where they lose games they shouldn't.

They won, there's lots of learning from this game and it's on to the next game!

Reaction Score
UConn will be significantly better going forward because of this game. The third quarter especially was a train wreck. Yet, good teams and good players get it together, and they did!

To be really honest here. I kind of doubt UConn beats SC, but maybe they have a shot in the post season. Free throws have to be fixed, immediately. Aubrey foul trouble, immediately. I'm sure Geno is on it :)

Reaction Score
First big game on the road with fans attending. I wouldn’t worried about it a little nerves and anxious to get the job done for Evina which I think she played so poised and under control maybe her best game of the season. She’s coming Dan Hurley voice. They will play better this game should give them confidence. But give credit to Tennessee they are not a bad team who beat Arkansas by 15. Great game!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paige is awesome. She is going to continue to be the difference maker all season. They shot lousy last night, but that's mostly due to the fact the are a lousy shooting team. When they shoot well is going to be the exception.

Reaction Score
First big game on the road with fans attending. I wouldn’t worried about it a little nerves and anxious to get the job done for Evina which I think she played so poised and under control maybe her best game of the season. She’s coming Dan Hurley voice. They will play better this game should give them confidence. But give credit to Tennessee they are not a bad team who beat Arkansas by 15. Great game!!!

The free throw shooting would concern me. Was it nerves or does UT use a basket that's about an inch more or less than 10ft? I think nerves because of this weird covid season. I expect Geno's teams to excel at the stripe.

Oh, I'm not happy with SCar's free throw shooting either. Not blaming the NC State loss on bad free throw shooting entirely, but it did contribute and encouraged NC State to play hack-a-cock physicality.

Reaction Score
No way SC or even Arkansas will slow it down. UConn is most likely to slow it down by zoning. SC man up and run every time the ball comes off the rim so you better get back.
I'm missing something. Why would UConn want to slow down a game? When has UConn ever been inclined to slow down a game? Huh? Our height disadvantage is accentuated when the game is slowed down.
Zone defense doesn't affect the pace of a game. There are 50 variants of zone defense. IMO Geno is actually pretty aggressive in his 2-3. We got deflections, steals, and loose balls out of our zone. The coolest 2-3 I've ever seen was John Thompson and Georgetown with Allen Iverson at the top with another guard named Jacques. So active! I tried it in my coaching. I called it "23 Hard", with traps in the corners and free-throw-line-extended.
Please, stop talking about slowing down. Speeding up, YES!

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams by Far was our POG. I wish she got more respect around the country for her talents. Shes steadily improving before our eyes !
She plays like a star, like she did last night, and she'll get the respect she deserves. UConn players IMO do not get slighted with notoriety or acclaim. Isn't she already listed as a candidate for the Wooden award (POY)?
Come on, just root for her to play at a level she played last night! No conspiracy here.

Reaction Score
She plays like a star, like she did last night, and she'll get the respect she deserves. UConn players IMO do not get slighted with notoriety or acclaim. Isn't she already listed as a candidate for the Wooden award (POY)?
Come on, just root for her to play at a level she played last night! No conspiracy here.
Not saying its a conspiracy but she does not get the same hype as other players do ala Rhyne Howard , Dana Evans , Haley Jones , you can even throw in Paige to be frank.

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams by Far was our POG. I wish she got more respect around the country for her talents. Shes steadily improving before our eyes !
I think Evina was our POG .. she and ONO stepped up in the 4 quarter when the game was decided, eh? [with a little help from Paige :) .. i m glad for Evina; this game was a gr8 memory that she'll keep for life, where she rose to the occasion!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I will be very surprised if UConn looses to SC. They lack good guard play this season and they are still a very very good team. I expect they may try and slow it down against UConn much like Tenn. If it turns into UConn controlling the tempo, I think UConn wins by double digits. One other point if we beat Arkansas by 20+ and SC didnt then most fans will think UConn is the better team. SC @ UConn is gonna be the game of the year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I will be very surprised if UConn looses to SC. They lack good guard play this season and they are still a very very good team. I expect they may try and slow it down against UConn much like Tenn. If it turns into UConn controlling the tempo, I think UConn wins by double digits. One other point if we beat Arkansas by 20+ and SC didnt then most fans will think UConn is the better team. SC @ UConn is gonna be the game of the year.
And ESPN IS NOT broadcasting it, that makes it even better.

Reaction Score
Great game last night against Tennessee. Should also be a good game against Arkansas and SC. SC beat Ark by 20. It was run and gun all night long. What Arkansas does is get the ball down quick and take their first open shot. They really don‘t have a half court offense other than shooting the first 3 that’s open.
Dont think the guard play for SC isn’t good. It’s just different. Destanni Henderson is more like Crystal Dangerfield than like Ty Harris. Brea Beal has been a much bigger factor offensively this year than last year. Zia Is Zia. This is a very good SC team - it’s just different. I feel like the biggest difference is we don’t have a Henderson coming off the bench. it Really helps that this team plays a ranked opponent almost every game. BTW Aliyah had her Triple-Double in 3 quarters last night. Dawn took the starters out with about 8 mins left in the 4th. She’s incredible.

Anyway, I’m glad your game was close last night. It’s a lot more fun to watch. Have a fun season ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom