Some thoughts and areas of improvement | The Boneyard

Some thoughts and areas of improvement

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First, the good news. The Andre Jackson era has begun at UConn. He is a player and should be getting a lot of minutes going forward. I am not going to sign on to the silliness that he should be point, but he is good and a difference maker. Hurley has to live with some mistakes with a player that can make this much happen on both ends.

Sanogo is a player. He has great touch and inside moves once he gets his feet set, and he is still a freshman. I think he will be about a 13 and 8 player next season.

Gaffney is coming around. Gaff was making good reads by attacking on Polley's side of the court because Polley's defender was not helping. Gaff was getting 1-on-1 coverage in space, and he went to the tin. Nice work. I would have liked to see a few more assists on those drives. Gaffney has two problems: 1) his size, and 2) learning point guard for a high level program is hard and just takes time. Look at Ollie, Taliek, even Shabazz and Kemba did not really emerge until their junior year. This is why I think the idea of Andre Jackson playing point guard is ridiculous.

I thought the interior defense was good when we had two bigs on the court, and Martin is always solid. Talent is not the problem at UConn, even without Bouk.

The Bad:

Perimeter defense. Hall shot well in part because our perimeter defense sucks. The stats were good for a while because UConn has played some bad teams, but our perimeter D is not good, because Gaff is an OK defender that is short, and the other two are just not good defensively.

Why are Cole, Gaff and Adams EVER ON THE COURT TOGETHER??? Uconn needs to dial this group's minutes way back. Play Martin or Ajax at the second guard for 10-20 minutes a game, and I would not be upset if Gaff takes over the point guard spot by year end. If I was to force rank the UConn roster, I would put 9 players ahead of Adams and 7 or 8 ahead of Cole. I think a high level D1 team needs to play about 8-9 players a game, so with Bouk out, I would play Adams about 5 mpg. Not 18.

UConn has a very good 3 point shooter and he can't get open. How many shots a game do you think Polley would be getting on Villanova? Probably 6-8 a game. I have seen some boneyard commentary that Polley needs to create his own shot. 3 point shooters do not create their own shot, at least not in this century. But hey, lets play 1990's basketball when good 3 point shooters hit 33% because they were taking contested, pull up 3's. Polley should be only shooting off the catch, which means he should be getting screens off the ball instead of these stupid pick and pops that everyone can see coming 10 seconds before they happen.

UConn is a better team when it is a bigger team. Play two bigs at once.

Why was Hurley pressing? There is not really a good reason to do a full court press with a 30 second shot clock unless the guards are very good defensively or there is a weird lineup on the court.

UConn is playing pickup, one on one basketball, and that style can become every man for himself pretty quickly. 9 assists on 23 made shots is not a good ratio.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has two problems: 1) his size
I'm curious why Gaffney's size is a problem. He's listed at 6-3 and that's taller than the average point guard in college. I would guess that's probably about 75th percentile.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm curious why Gaffney's size is a problem. He's listed at 6-3 and that's taller than the average point guard in college. I would guess that's probably about 75th percentile.

Edit: I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is not a thread hijack attempt.

If Gaffney was the point, his height would be OK. But he is often the third guard, which makes his height a problem because he is matched up against 6'6 players.

Reaction Score
Edit: I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it is not a thread hijack attempt.

If Gaffney was the point, his height would be OK. But he is often the third guard, which makes his height a problem because he is matched up against 6'6 players.
Not a hijack attempt.

You wrote that his 2nd issue is how hard it is to learn to play point guard in college and you mentioned 4 other former UConn point guards. So is he a point guard or isn't he? If he's not a point guard then why he is trying to learn to play it? I'm confused by your posts.

Serious question. How much better do you think Gaffney would be if he were 6-6? I mean height definitely helps in basketball, there's no denying that, but I'd suggest that he just try to improve on a lot of things. 6-3 isn't that short for a college guard and UConn alone has had plenty of successful backcourts with shorter players.

I agree with you that when he is the 3rd "guard" in a lineup then the team is extremely small. That's Hurley's fault.

I'll still say that height isn't one of Gaffney's 2 biggest issues.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You keep harping on this same point when they've played 4 minutes total together over the last 5 games. It's not a lineup being used for any significant stretches

You are a big Adams' fan. I get it.

Or you can not read, since I could not have made my point any clearer in my post.

C

Chief00

First, the good news. The Andre Jackson era has begun at UConn. He is a player and should be getting a lot of minutes going forward. I am not going to sign on to the silliness that he should be point, but he is good and a difference maker. Hurley has to live with some mistakes with a player that can make this much happen on both ends.

Sanogo is a player. He has great touch and inside moves once he gets his feet set, and he is still a freshman. I think he will be about a 13 and 8 player next season.

Gaffney is coming around. Gaff was making good reads by attacking on Polley's side of the court because Polley's defender was not helping. Gaff was getting 1-on-1 coverage in space, and he went to the tin. Nice work. I would have liked to see a few more assists on those drives. Gaffney has two problems: 1) his size, and 2) learning point guard for a high level program is hard and just takes time. Look at Ollie, Taliek, even Shabazz and Kemba did not really emerge until their junior year. This is why I think the idea of Andre Jackson playing point guard is ridiculous.

I thought the interior defense was good when we had two bigs on the court, and Martin is always solid. Talent is not the problem at UConn, even without Bouk.

The Bad:

Perimeter defense. Hall shot well in part because our perimeter defense sucks. The stats were good for a while because UConn has played some bad teams, but our perimeter D is not good, because Gaff is an OK defender that is short, and the other two are just not good defensively.

Why are Cole, Gaff and Adams EVER ON THE COURT TOGETHER??? Uconn needs to dial this group's minutes way back. Play Martin or Ajax at the second guard for 10-20 minutes a game, and I would not be upset if Gaff takes over the point guard spot by year end. If I was to force rank the UConn roster, I would put 9 players ahead of Adams and 7 or 8 ahead of Cole. I think a high level D1 team needs to play about 8-9 players a game, so with Bouk out, I would play Adams about 5 mpg. Not 18.

UConn has a very good 3 point shooter and he can't get open. How many shots a game do you think Polley would be getting on Villanova? Probably 6-8 a game. I have seen some boneyard commentary that Polley needs to create his own shot. 3 point shooters do not create their own shot, at least not in this century. But hey, lets play 1990's basketball when good 3 point shooters hit 33% because they were taking contested, pull up 3's. Polley should be only shooting off the catch, which means he should be getting screens off the ball instead of these stupid pick and pops that everyone can see coming 10 seconds before they happen.

Why was Hurley pressing? There is not really a good reason to do a full court press with a 30 second shot clock unless the guards are very good defensively or there is a weird lineup on the court.

UConn is playing pickup, one on one basketball, and that style can become every man for himself pretty quickly. 9 assists on 23 made shots is not a good ratio.
Chief agrees with many of your observations about Polley, rotation minutes and our shooting against good teams. Chief has maintained throughout his career that Gaffney is a player and part of the solution. You are starting to see that more in games, what Chief saw at other times.

Reaction Score
You are a big Adams' fan. I get it.

Or you can not read, since I could not have made my point any clearer in my post.
No I hate Adams and never want all his minutes cut

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not a hijack attempt.

You wrote that his 2nd issue is how hard it is to learn to play point guard in college and you mentioned 4 other former UConn point guards. So is he a point guard or isn't he? If he's not a point guard then why he is trying to learn to play it? I'm confused by your posts.

Serious question. How much better do you think Gaffney would be if he were 6-6? I mean height definitely helps in basketball, there's no denying that, but I'd suggest that he just try to improve on a lot of things. 6-3 isn't that short for a college guard and UConn alone has had plenty of successful backcourts with shorter players.

I agree with you that when he is the 3rd "guard" in a lineup then the team is extremely small. That's Hurley's fault.

I'll still say that height isn't one of Gaffney's 2 biggest issues.

Being undersized impacts all aspects of the game at both ends. On defense, obviously bigger players can just pass and shoot right over a smaller defender. Smaller players have to leave their feet more often and earlier on defense to contest shots. But it impacts not just on the man defense, but help defense. It is hard to get 10-15 feet off your man in help defense because the closeout for a smaller defender is so hard to do.

On offense, it is hard to get a shot off against an equivalent athlete that is 3+ inches taller, and the smaller player really has to blow by the bigger player or the bigger player can still block the shot from behind.

Rebounding is obviously an issue too.

All of this may only impact 5-10 plays a game, but in a 7 point loss, that is all it takes. I could live with a small lineup if those smaller players were clearly UConn's 5 best players, but they aren't. UConn is obviously better when it goes big. So UConn is playing worse players and is creating a size disadvantage for basically no benefit.

Reaction Score

The Bad:

Good write up, although I too don’t get the comment about Gaffney’s size. He’s plenty big for a point guard. But agree with everything else. The press made NO sense, and made even less sense when they beat it the first 3 times for easy hoops. My sincere hope is after that second half, Adams butt is now tattooed to the bench except for very short spurts. The love affair needs to be over.

Reaction Score

He's as big as Adams despite the listings. You can see it when they stand next to each other no difference. Having said that we are still too small with either of them at the 3 because they don't rebound and Gaff can't guard anyone with size/quickness. Right now we need Bouk back or else Andre at the 3. Need to play a lot less "3 guard" lineups as far as I'm concerned especially with Andre maybe making his way in. Agree the defense on the interior was solid. They kept Obiagu away form the basket and moved some people, missed some critical 50/50 balls but overall very good. Whaley always solid but impressed with Sanogo on how much better he's getting every game. His feet are good and the only thing for now is the occasional hedge where he stays too long with the double team so slow to get back to his big, but he's becoming a force.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Cole-Gaffney-Adams backcourt is ridiculous. It happens because a lot of time Gaffney is the first guy off the bench regardless of who he is replacing. If Whaley/Sanogo get two quickies Gaffney comes in and we have a terrible lineup.

The good news on that front is Bouk and Jackson returning pushes Adams from starter to last guy off the bench not named Richie Springs (at least in theory)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
He's as big as Adams despite the listings. You can see it when they stand next to each other no difference. Having said that we are still too small with either of them at the 3 because they don't rebound and Gaff can't guard anyone with size/quickness. Right now we need Bouk back or else Andre at the 3. Need to play a lot less "3 guard" lineups as far as I'm concerned especially with Andre maybe making his way in. Agree the defense on the interior was solid. They kept Obiagu away form the basket and moved some people, missed some critical 50/50 balls but overall very good. Whaley always solid but impressed with Sanogo on how much better he's getting every game. His feet are good and the only thing for now is the occasional hedge where he stays too long with the double team so slow to get back to his big, but he's becoming a force.
' You can see it when they stand next to each other no difference.'
yes, and thank you for noting the only true reference for 'how big is that player,' and not that real, or often false, number on a piece of paper. jalen is plenty big enuf for his job. now, the current size comparison fun for me is aj. check him out when he's on the floor. big. very big.

Reaction Score
' You can see it when they stand next to each other no difference.'
yes, and thank you for noting the only true reference for 'how big is that player,' and not that real, or often false, number on a piece of paper. jalen is plenty big enuf for his job. now, the current size comparison fun for me is aj. check him out when he's on the floor. big. very big.

Yes while BA is a small 6'3" ha, Andre is a big 6'5-6'6 - looong too. And his rebonds were the "go get'em" type impressive on a couple of those. And Jalen has solid size for a guard either 1 or 2 both both height and strength now.

Reaction Score

The Bad:

Could be a critique of an Ollie coached team.

Reaction Score
I like some of the points made here. Here are a few of my own. I think we jump game to game with how we feel about certain players. All of a sudden Gaffney is an All-American, Jackson is a stud, etc. I'm not in disagreement about where there this team is heading. This is going to be a very good team in the next year or 2. We are not there right now. The biggest reason is the shooting:

Bouknight .451 .324 He has to be better than that, by a lot!
Cole .357 .340 That doesn't cut it
Gaffney .379 .357 And those went up because of his best game
Adams .306 .324 Brutally bad no way to hide it

How do you win games with your 4 guards shooting horrific numbers? These numbers are embarrassing!

Then the consistency issue:

Yes, Gaffney is off a 20 point game, but he has 10 games at 6 points or below. Don't say it is the minutes, he played 25 and got 20 points but he has played 20+ in 7 of 12.

Cole has scored 18 but he has 1/3 of his games at 8 or less

Polley has hit 23 but 3 games with ZERO! How do you find room for a kid that shoots lights out about once every 4 or 5 games, but does little of anything else? It's the seduction that he can come in and change a game. That is true, but 4 games in between he will do nothing!

Whaley has scored 15, but in the majority of games he scores 8 or fewer (7 of 12)

Adams has scored 15 but 8 times he scored 6 or fewer.

This is the problem. Our players are so erratic and inconsistent, you don't know what you are getting from the vast majority of the team any night. It is a sign of youth, and unfortunately guys that just are not knock-down shooters.

Bouknight is 32.4% from deep, and that includes a huge game, otherwise, he is south of 30%. He isn't our problem however. At this point we just don't have shooters.

Reaction Score
Overall, despite a few bad performances, the defense has been solid.

The two areas where there is a lot of room for improvement is

1. The lack of a fast break. We do not beat our opponents down the court. When we secure a rebound our bigs rarely make a quick outlet pass to begin the break. Even long rebounds only ocassionally set a break in motion. Usually, our break will begin with an opponent TO. Even then, our two-on-ones are not very good. Our best chance to score on the break is one player attacking the rim.

2. The lack of assists overall and specifically from our point guards. We are 9th in the Big East in assists per game. Our points guards do not distribute the ball. Cole is 11th in the BE in assists with just under 4 per. Gaffney is tied with Adams at 34th both at 1.8 per game. Even in Gaffney's excellent game versus SHU he had only 2 assists in 25 minutes. That may not his fault. Without knowing the play it's hard to know if the players were in the right places. But the numbers are the numbers.

I didn't include missed bunnies as a place that needs improvement (although it does) because I think that is more symptom than disease. If we had more (and more efficient) fast breaks, the easy buckets would improve our bunny numbers. Better passing from our guards (assists) would improve those bunny numbers as well. All bunnies are not created equal. Fast breaks and clean assists make a higher bunny percentage.

Reaction Score
whaley's last 3 games:

6 ppg on 30% shooting!!!
0-2 at the line
2-6 from 3
5 TOs

his rebs/blocks at the PF spot arent making up for his offensive ineptitude anymore. martin and aj should be the starting forwards alongside sanogo, bouk, and a PG.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Being undersized impacts all aspects of the game at both ends. On defense, obviously bigger players can just pass and shoot right over a smaller defender. Smaller players have to leave their feet more often and earlier on defense to contest shots. But it impacts not just on the man defense, but help defense. It is hard to get 10-15 feet off your man in help defense because the closeout for a smaller defender is so hard to do.

On offense, it is hard to get a shot off against an equivalent athlete that is 3+ inches taller, and the smaller player really has to blow by the bigger player or the bigger player can still block the shot from behind.

Rebounding is obviously an issue too.

All of this may only impact 5-10 plays a game, but in a 7 point loss, that is all it takes. I could live with a small lineup if those smaller players were clearly UConn's 5 best players, but they aren't. UConn is obviously better when it goes big. So UConn is playing worse players and is creating a size disadvantage for basically no benefit.
I think this is a bit oversimplified re: height. What about vertical leap? Our smaller guards in recent years have been excellent vertical leapers as evidenced by their rebounding. I am talking about Bazz, Boat and Vital to name a few.
Also, the matter of speed which you did mention is a contributing factor making it harder to play them tight. In addition, remember how Boat and Bazz were able to get low and disturb ball handlers as in the NCAA tournament against Fla. We have been going "long" for a while now but it is not a substitute for above average speed or strength. I remember one poster mentioning how all we recruited were "beanpoles." I'm in favor of more players who have something or many things other than length. One kid we have recruited who is going to be very interesting is Corey Floyd who is 6-4 and built as well as 6-9 length. Now that's cooking!

Reaction Score
I could live with a small lineup if those smaller players were clearly UConn's 5 best players, but they aren't
but it is clear that our 5 most skilled players are Sanogo, Martin, AJ, Bouk, and Cole/Gaff. the "whaley to the nba" talk after the first couple games died down real quick

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
but it is clear that our 5 most skilled players are Sanogo, Martin, AJ, Bouk, and Cole/Gaff. the "whaley to the nba" talk after the first couple games died down real quick

Let's slow down on AJ being one of our 5 best players. He is a freshman. As with most things, basketball players get better with more experience.

Reaction Score
Let's slow down on AJ being one of our 5 best players. He is a freshman. As with most things, basketball players get better with more experience.
i said skilled not best

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think this is a bit oversimplified re: height. What about vertical leap? Our smaller guards in recent years have been excellent vertical leapers as evidenced by their rebounding. I am talking about Bazz, Boat and Vital to name a few.
Also, the matter of speed which you did mention is a contributing factor making it harder to play them tight. In addition, remember how Boat and Bazz were able to get low and disturb ball handlers as in the NCAA tournament against Fla. We have been going "long" for a while now but it is not a substitute for above average speed or strength. I remember one poster mentioning how all we recruited were "beanpoles." I'm in favor of more players who have something or many things other than length. One kid we have recruited who is going to be very interesting is Corey Floyd who is 6-4 and built as well as 6-9 length. Now that's cooking!

Bazz was great at UConn, therefore shorter players are better than taller players?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
whaley's last 3 games:

6 ppg on 30% shooting!!!
0-2 at the line
2-6 from 3
5 TOs

his rebs/blocks at the PF spot arent making up for his offensive ineptitude anymore. martin and aj should be the starting forwards alongside sanogo, bouk, and a PG.

I will get to the pick up offense and not passing to the bigs later today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom