OT: - Some tasty French Open Women's Tennis | The Boneyard

OT: Some tasty French Open Women's Tennis

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
4th round matches on Tennis Channel

Gauff vs Mertens 8:30 ET
Stephens vs Tiechman 10:30 ET

Just saw Phenom Leylah Fernandez win in 3 sets against US player Anisimova.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coco started out very tentative in set 1 but held her nerve. Second set was an impressive blitzkreig 6-4 6-0

Seems the Stephens match is bounced on TN Channel for a Nadal match.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anisomova gave Fernandez a good match going 3 sets. American women's tennis is alive and well post Serena and Venus...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anisomova gave Fernandez a good match going 3 sets. American women's tennis is alive and well post Serena and Venus...
Madison Keys after going 1 set up plays poorly and without any fight imho. Loses last 2 sets 6-3 6-1. I know clay is not her surface of choice but too much talent to go so meekly

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Madison Keys after going 1 set up plays poorly and without any fight imho. Loses last 2 sets 6-3 6-1. I know clay is not her surface of choice but too much talent to go so meekly
Keys can go cold in a second and then the negative body language starts and you can tell it's all over even if there's still a set and a half of tennis remaining. Honestly, I like her a lot as a person but have given up rooting for her as a fan, because it's just too frustrating.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sloane will always be a grand slam champion. US Open 2017. Good for her. Would love to see her get another, but I suspect her time has passed. But great to see some of the young guns doing well - Pegula, Collins, Anisomova, and Gauff... and Maddie Keys had a nice run at this French Open.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Iga Swiatek also advances to the semi-finals in straight sets. She is #1 seed and has won a ton of matches in a row.
She and Coco Gauff would meet in the finals should both advance.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Men's side is equally compelling. Nadal beat Djokovic yesterday in a classic, Cilic showing form from yester-year, taking Rublev to a 5th set. Teen sensation Alcaraz showed out (Zverev just outplayed him), but Danish teen Holger Rune is also in the quarterfinals. He's playing another young guy Ruud, from Norway. A bunch of upcoming stars from countries now known for lots of greats. It's been fun to see!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Men's side is equally compelling. Nadal beat Djokovic yesterday in a classic, Cilic showing form from yester-year, taking Rublev to a 5th set. Teen sensation Alcaraz showed out (Zverev just outplayed him), but Danish teen Holger Rune is also in the quarterfinals. He's playing another young guy Ruud, from Norway. A bunch of upcoming stars from countries now known for lots of greats. It's been fun to see!
Clay Court allows the men to return serves better so it is not a serve fest. Also allows more drop shots.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
As far as I can tell:

Swiatek's semi-match starts around 9:00 AM [our time] with Coco's match to immediately follow.

Channels: tennis channel...maybe NBC?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As far as I can tell:

Swiatek's semi-match starts around 9:00 AM [our time] with Coco's match to immediately follow.

Channels: tennis channel...maybe NBC?
Really hoping for a Coco - Swiatek final. Swiatek is unbelievable and it is hard to pin down what she does so much better than other top players?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Swiatek steam rolls in first set 6-2 (after 2-2 start)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Swiatek goes to the finals.
Again in 2nd set, Swaitek plays with her food with 1-1 beginning of second set before running away 6-1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Trevisan's delayed grunting off the charts annoying. Player says to ref when confronted. "Sorry, No one ever told me this, I am right"

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco advances to the finals....6-3....6-1. Bit of a shaky start....played great in second set.
Swiatek is 2-0 against Coco lifetime.

Swiatek has lost just one set in her 6 matches.
Coco has lost zero in her 6 matches.

Should be a great finals.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Coco advances to the finals....6-3....6-1. Bit of a shaky start....played great in second set.

Not sure about a "great" finals - Coco may be overmatched... then again, anything can happen and I'm sure her team will work over the next 2 days on a game plan. Coco has great movement and Swiatek is not an uber power player, so it will be an interesting matchup.

Still, great for Coco. American women's tennis did very well in the French Open...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Got to give a significant edge to Swaitek. Her game is just so clean and she has all the shots.

Reaction Score
I still remembered Gauff defeating Venus Williams in Wimbledon 2019

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gauff in deep trouble down 2 breaks to Swiatek . Coco playing tough long games but makes more unforced errors at critical times.

By the way, Swiatek seems to look a bit like Paige (face / eyes) (with a little Molie Bent)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coco goes down 6-1 6-3. Coco definitely did not have her A game but she was not bad and at times looked as good. I think she was too conservative not using her back hand down the line which is her best shot in fear of her forehand. Hard to see how she got so dominant. She clearly does everything very well but she looks beatable at times but then gets into a great gear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom