Some St. John's Stats | The Boneyard

Some St. John's Stats

Reaction Score
I spent a little time today looking over Ken Pomeroy's overview of how St. John's has played and I wanted to highlight a few areas that caught my eye.

St. John's offense:

* 96th percentile in tempo and 79th percentile in turnover %: Despite their fast tempo, St. John's does a good job securing the ball and eliminating careless errors. Props to Posh Alexander (4.5/2.7 A/TO ratio) and the improvement of Greg Williams Jr. for solidifying the backcourt post-Ponds.

* 14th percentile in 3P attempts:total FG attempts ratio: Only 30.8% of their shot attempts are from beyond the arc, so more attention on help D could help minimize the interior offensive output of Williams/Alexander. Despite this stat, Champagnie takes his shots (5.9 3pa per game). Can't wait to see Whaley defend the crap out of Champagnie.

St. John's defense:

92nd percentile in turnover %: Forcing turnovers in a whopping 23.2% of their possessions, St. John's 40 minutes of hell is their best offense. With Bouk out, a two PG lineup isn't a bad idea: A Cole-Gaffney-Martin-Whaley-Sanogo starting lineup makes sense to me.

* 10th percentile in opponent FG%: If St. John's doesn't force any turnovers, expect their aggressive D to open up space for some juicy open threes. Tyler Polley, step right up!

Reaction Score
Might be a good bounce back game for Akok if they take so many shots at the rim and play so fast. We should be running a lot on offense, and have a bunch of block opportunities in the help

Reaction Score
Cole Gaffney better step up in this one they will be hawked like never before. Scared honestly of how slow they’re so used to bringing it up and the traps they will see tomorrow. Not sure either gives me the confidence they can handle what’s coming. Again, the one game Bouk would’ve been huge in helping us get it over.

Reaction Score
Cole Gaffney better step up in this one they will be hawked like never before. Scared honestly of how slow they’re so used to bringing it up and the traps they will see tomorrow. Not sure either gives me the confidence they can handle what’s coming. Again, the one game Bouk would’ve been huge in helping us get it over.
I disagree. Cole/Gaffney haven't figured out their shot yet, but I've never questioned their ball security or poise under defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Cole/Gaffney haven't figured out their shot yet, but I've never questioned their ball security or poise under defensive pressure.
Agreed, Cole/Gaffney have their issues breaking down the defense (moreso Gaffney, Cole can do it but just is helpless getting a shot off) but they're extremely calm under pressure defense

Reaction Score

Agree to disagree. They haven’t seen pressure yet at least in the full court nature they will see it tomorrow. It’s the unknown and as I said they will be tested so we will see. Gaff has trouble breaking down his man in half court but his size could help passing the ball to break the pressure and occasional double teams. Coles size could hurt in that case but maybe he can break his guy down. I can see Help required from others including Martin and Adams. Add to the fact because you need ball handlers you limit your offensive impact with too much Cole/Gaffney in together.

Again huge game in the fact our players minus Bouk will be tested offensively from the in bounds. Would be nice to rebound it and have the outlets be more than hand offs.

Should be fun to watch!

Reaction Score
Eh, have you seen Cole try and use his weak hand? It’s scary bad

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. They haven’t seen pressure yet at least in the full court nature they will see it tomorrow. It’s the unknown and as I said they will be tested so we will see. Gaff has trouble breaking down his man in half court but his size could help passing the ball to break the pressure and occasional double teams. Coles size could hurt in that case but maybe he can break his guy down. I can see Help required from others including Martin and Adams. Add to the fact because you need ball handlers you limit your offensive impact with too much Cole/Gaffney in together.

Again huge game in the fact our players minus Bouk will be tested offensively from the in bounds. Would be nice to rebound it and have the outlets be more than hand offs.

Should be fun to watch!
B Adams also is prone to giving the ball up or making a bad pass under pressure.

I think that this is a game where Gaffney more than Cole will need to be our lead guard, secure the ball getting it up the court, and make the right passes in the half court. Need Gaff to step up big time.

Reaction Score
Time to show an offensive scheme that attacks the rim. Enough time wasting outside weave and guards stopping their dribble 35 feet from the basket. Make them pay for their aggressive defense.
One 20 point guy and lot of near 10 point guys. They shoot %'s about like UConn. Limit turnovers and we can win ugly.

Reaction Score
B Adams also is prone to giving the ball up or making a bad pass under pressure.
This is another example of "fan microscope bias".

Adams is averaging just 1.1 turnovers at nearly 24 minutes per game and averaged 1.4 last year at similar minutes.

After a combined five turnovers in both the CCSU and Hartford games, he's had just four turnovers in the last six games.

Reaction Score
This is another example of "fan microscope bias".

Adams is averaging just 1.1 turnovers at nearly 24 minutes per game and averaged 1.4 last year at similar minutes.

After a combined five turnovers in both the CCSU and Hartford games, he's had just four turnovers in the last six games.
He looks horrible today every time he has the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom