Some quotes from Jalen | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Jalen

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Obviously, things did not go particularly well while he was here - most of that was way out of his control.

Everything was pretty lax for his first three years and I think he might have fallen into that too much...but he's a four-year Husky, he's carried the program with little help over those four years and he's a good kid.

His career reminds me a little of Tony Robertson's where he just came into the program at the wrong time - both were better players than most people will remember.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

If it wasn't for that "lucky" shot we would have lost to Cincy and not won the AAC tourney (Jalen was terrific in that Cincy game and OTs) and ...... UConn may not have made to the NCAAs as an at large bid. That was our last taste of the NCAAs of course.

Overall Jalen is a great kid, and easy to get a picture with.... I can't say that about everyone.

Reaction Score
I've genuinely enjoyed watching Jalen play. Even though the results weren't there in the win column, he was a pleasure to watch on offense. I remember the Cincy games from both his freshman and sophomore year, they were remarkable. Last year, he was unbelievable in the Houston game at Houston. He had a few eye-popping games this year too (UCF and Tulsa) but they were losses.

I actually compare him most to Earl Kelley. Exciting to watch him play basketball, but the team results were pretty bad in his years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I actually compare him most to Earl Kelley. Exciting to watch him play basketball, but the team results were pretty bad in his years.
Earl Kelley = huncho

Reaction Score
Jalen will be sorely missed at Uconn as showed by us losing 6 of our last 7. He did have a great burden to carry a team on his back and for the most part did an amicable job. Unfortunately he didn't have much help. Even Gilbert and Carlton have been madly inconsistent this year. Jalen might have a bad game here and there bu but he will always be remembered as a warrior by me and helping us win the AAC tourney while making the NCAA big dance his freshman year. Jalen keep your heads up no matter what the naysayers on here what to spit out. Thanks for 4 years at Uconn and know you will be missed by me and many Uconn fans. I'm sorry you couldn't have 4 years under Hurley.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Will root for him at the next level, and hope he remains an active alumni in the program. He’s always said how much it meant to him to wear that UConn jersey.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
His career reminds me a little of Tony Robertson's where he just came into the program at the wrong time - both were better players than most people will remember.

Big thing was he didn't leave, despite all the upheaval. That really does mean a lot. I cannot imagine the last few years without Jalen. I mean, we were still bad with him, but without? We might have been dead last in the NCAA. For multiple years running.

Reaction Score
Leaving was almost impossible. Who is going to advocate for him? KO?
Wasted opportunities by both sides - a real shame.
Only he has the power to change the future and hopefully he can do it.

C

Chief00

Obviously, things did not go particularly well while he was here - most of that was way out of his control.

Everything was pretty lax for his first three years and I think he might have fallen into that too much...but he's a four-year Husky, he's carried the program with little help over those four years and he's a good kid.

I agree Jalen is a good, likeable kid, who enjoyed his college years. If he ever seriously worked on his shot, I could actually see him play in the NBA. I know that last sentence will surprise many.

Reaction Score
I think one of Jalen's greatest downfalls on the court was also probably his greatest strength as a person. Too often he cared too much about what people taught of him, and maybe was lax in certain situations on the court because of that. With that being said, I will always be a huge fan of Jalen. AS mentioned prior, proud to call him a husky.

Reaction Score
I think one of Jalen's greatest downfalls on the court was also probably his greatest strength as a person. Too often he cared too much about what people taught of him, and maybe was lax in certain situations on the court because of that. With that being said, I will always be a huge fan of Jalen. AS mentioned prior, proud to call him a husky.
He just didn’t have that bulldog, step on your throat mentality that several tough and telended UConn guards have had in the past. Great kid and a great player, but I hate to say that he just didn’t have that extra edge. It’s something that can’t really be taught (well Calhoun maybe could have), but regardless he was a good UConn player and I wish him well. Really hoping he can get back on the court in Husky blue

Reaction Score
He just didn’t have that bulldog, step on your throat mentality that several tough and telended UConn guards have had in the past. Great kid and a great player, but I hate to say that he just didn’t have that extra edge. It’s something that can’t really be taught (well Calhoun maybe could have), but regardless he was a good UConn player and I wish him well. Really hoping he can get back on the court in Husky blue
That alpha dog mentality. Al's got it.

Reaction Score
I really think it was a major coaching failure, and one of the sadder parts of the KO era, that none of our players REALLY developed that killer instinct and "grown man" maturity that Hurley always talks about. (Except CV, but he had that fire before he came here.) I think the mental aspect of the game is totally coachable, and in my opinion any high level coach worth their salt should be able to turn proverbial boys into men. Jalen was failed in this department in my opinion.

As proof, just look at Josh's mental development over the past few months, when he had been stagnating in that department last year and early this season. The increase in PT alone probably helped some, but I think Hurley has that ability to unlock every athlete's inner competitor. Like, by and large you don't play college sports unless you have some type of inner alpha animal. And when Hurley made that comment last summer about how we looked like a bunch of abused puppies, this is what he is talking about. Because what KO did, with good if misguided intentions, was take a bunch of husky pups and turn them into house pets when they should've been outside learning how to hunt.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom