Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora

Reaction Score
This school really doesn’t care about football. Or they are just lost as to what to do about it.
I mean if you have donors for basketball that only care about basketball what do you do? Tell them they can only donate to basketball if they throw football a bone?

It's easy to support a basketball program with the roster and staff sizes. Football is a whole different animal

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if any talks have occurred between AD David Benedict and the Sun Belt regarding football-only membership. The AAC didn't want us for football only, and it's basically a blessing we didn't stay as payouts have gone down and the ESPN contract might be renegotiated downwards as well.

The SunBelt was once viewed as a true nothing conference, but they've basically taken out CUSA, which was historically viewed as the stronger conference, and now the SunBelt could take aim on the AAC if it wanted.

It's interesting that none of the Mountain West teams the AAC targets changed conferences for the larger payout. They stayed home.

I'll be interested in seeing how viewership of broadcast AAC games perform compared to those of the Sun Belt. I'm thinking the Sun Belt could be the most interesting of the G5 conferences over the next few years.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if any talks have occurred between AD David Benedict and the Sun Belt regarding football-only membership. The AAC didn't want us for football only, and it's basically a blessing we didn't stay as payouts have gone down and the ESPN contract might be renegotiated downwards as well.

The SunBelt was once viewed as a true nothing conference, but they've basically taken out CUSA, which was historically viewed as the stronger conference, and now the SunBelt could take aim on the AAC if it wanted.

It's interesting that none of the Mountain West teams the AAC targets changed conferences for the larger payout. They stayed home.

I'll be interested in seeing how viewership of broadcast AAC games perform compared to those of the Sun Belt. I'm thinking the Sun Belt could be the most interesting of the G5 conferences over the next few years.
Not sure who would be interested in us as football only, but the Sun Belt football is entertaining and we could recruit the athletes to be competitive playing a more wide open offense. Bottom line is any plan will require investment (fans, business, university and state) with zero hope of stemming losses. Winning more with resources we have was important this year to build support. That hasn’t happened.

Reaction Score
I mean if you have donors for basketball that only care about basketball what do you do? Tell them they can only donate to basketball if they throw football a bone?

It's easy to support a basketball program with the roster and staff sizes. Football is a whole different animal

Not sure who would be interested in us as football only, but the Sun Belt football is entertaining and we could recruit the athletes to be competitive playing a more wide open offense. Bottom line is any plan will require investment (fans, business, university and state) with zero hope of stemming losses. Winning more with resources we have was important this year to build support. That hasn’t happened.

The Sun Belt only takes schools that care about football.

We clearly do not. That precludes any chance.

Reaction Score

Dude come on.

The Sun Belt has been very picky about who they take.

Their target is schools that are passionate about football and that has paid major dividends for them.

Reaction Score
Yes, like I said, they got lucky and administrators are clueless. They fall for ESPN marketing BS. It's a club we aren't getting into. The only qualifications are totally made up and over half of the schools that are a part of the club are no more deserving of their status than the next 30 schools behind them.
100% - all BS self referencing country club member nonsense. Not a “football school”, “not a strong football tradition”, “not a cultural fit”, “not an AAU member” are all code words for we aren’t sharing anything with anybody.

Reaction Score
We have the Hartford, Travelers, Cigna, Pfizer, Electric Boat, Gengras, Stanley, UTC, Eversource, Aetna, Gartner, Priceline and half a dozen hedge funds all capable of ponying up some Nil commitments. This is just AD Dave having no ability to organize and to think even inside the box. I suspect he largely reserved any of his efforts for basketball. You stack money for a few key impact players and build from there. They should be able to raise a few million in their sleep.
UTC does a lot with the engineering programs. There is no reason the school and DB shouldn't be reaching out for some sponsorships and NIL money.

Reaction Score
"Just get more donors" is like saying "just plant a money tree!!"

I'm sure the university is doing plenty of outreach. We just don't have the same culture in Connecticut as other parts of the country. You can't change the culture of an entire region.
You think the university is doing outreach? Why do you think the endowment has taken so long to build? Don't get me wrong, UConn has gotten better with alumni relations/donor engagement, but they are nowhere close to what the best universities do. If you have a degree from multiple schools, you have first hand understanding about how far UConn needs to go.

That is why I am encouraged by what Mora is saying. You can't fix a problem if nobody has identified it and advocated for fixing it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dude come on.

The Sun Belt has been very picky about who they take.

Their target is schools that are passionate about football and that has paid major dividends for them.
Well then, if you're right, that leaves the MAC and A10, doesn't it.

Anyway, I just asked the question. I haven't heard anything about any discussions with the Sun Belt, even a "don't call us, we'll call you."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For the record "Blunt Assessments" would be a great name for a podcast where some folks just got high and started analyzing topics of the day.
I don't need to be high for that. But I'm open to a co-host who's tripping.

Reaction Score
You're saying he promised we were going into a conference? That's either a fact or not a fact, not an opinion. He probably discussed it when it looked good for us, but I doubt anything was promised.
I didn't say that Mora promised that we were going into a conference. I was responding to noeynox who said that Mora was telling recruits that we were going to be in the ACC and the Big 12. It is my opinion that Mora shouldn't have been doing that.

noeynox said: Someone nailed it. Mora is feeling rug pulled. 1st he was telling recruits they were going ACC, then Big 12, now the reality is, we ain't going nowhere.

It was reported in articles that Mora was talking to recruits about UConn going to a conference. I don't think he should have been talking about it at all.

Reaction Score
UTC does a lot with the engineering programs. There is no reason the school and DB shouldn't be reaching out for some sponsorships and NIL money.
because they get paid back in engineering talent. as much as I desire NIL money as much as the next husky fan, asking RTX (fka UTC) for money that produces no return for them, is a stretch. President/board know this and their scope is to keep the university/health center alive, not just the football team.

RTX, aetna, travelers, and the like, are not going to care about football.
I wish it were different, but that ain't it.

I don't know what IS it. So I appreciate the spirit here, honestly. I just know that THAT ^^ won't happen.

Reaction Score
I didn't say that Mora promised that we were going into a conference. I was responding to noeynox who said that Mora was telling recruits that we were going to be in the ACC and the Big 12. It is my opinion that Mora shouldn't have been doing that.

noeynox said: Someone nailed it. Mora is feeling rug pulled. 1st he was telling recruits they were going ACC, then Big 12, now the reality is, we ain't going nowhere.

It was reported in articles that Mora was talking to recruits about UConn going to a conference. I don't think he should have been talking about it at all.
In recruiting you use everything at your disposal, so that's not really fair.

Reaction Score
When does Crispino ever ask a tough question or for that matter any college sports announcer who serves as the team's play by play voice? Never happens.

Asking why an announcer being paid by a team (or subject to a team's approval) doesn't ask tough questions is truly dumb. If you're paid by a network, you can consider your job as being news and act as a reporter. If you're paid by the team, you are an employee meant to advance the interests of a team by being entertaining and driving interest (while, if you're good, making it sound like you're as objective as is possible).

Whatever industry you're in, embarrassing your employer is neither a smart nor a repeatable strategy.

Reaction Score
NIL money for players receiving full rides and being treated as well as any G5 team? Not sure about that. For a 1-5 team that came out flat to start a crucial season. Now that’s chutzpah!
Long term, with the mess that college sports is in, it is the only way to compete. People most invested in any one sport, get off the internet and pick up your pen and checkbook.
Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm sorry that offends you but piling money on today's kids will look positively on tomorrow's recruits.

Reaction Score
"Just get more donors" is like saying "just plant a money tree!!"

I'm sure the university is doing plenty of outreach. We just don't have the same culture in Connecticut as other parts of the country. You can't change the culture of an entire region.
Exactly. FB is not the most important thing in the world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NIL isn't a slush fund for publicly traded Fortune 500 companies. They actually have boards, stockholders and accountants checking their "charitable givings".

Gimme the name of the Chairman or CEO whose getting $20M in compensation and they can use NIL like they use boats, ski lodges and hookers.

NIL is all about individuals with cash to blow and a circle of friends who they have to impress over who they fund. NIL is about ego.

Reaction Score
Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm sorry that offends you but piling money on today's kids will look positively on tomorrow's recruits.
It doesn’t offend me. If people who enjoy the sport and the entertainment the team provides are giving to the collectives, more power to them & kudos for loyalty. You have to admit that the bold assessment of “we need NIL money” from HCJM is a tough ask in the here and now. And this board’s general take that some whale or CT corporation has to pony up is not how it will work. Small and medium-sized donors who love football and/or believe it is crucial to the university’s continued ascent will have to come through. Their dollars, their assessment of the righteousness of it all.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t offend me. If people who enjoy the sport and the entertainment the team provides are giving to the collectives, more power to them & kudos for loyalty. You have to admit that the bold assessment of “we need NIL money” from HCJM is a tough ask in the here and now. And this board’s general take that some whale or CT corporation has to pony up is not how it will work. Small and medium-sized donors who love football and/or believe it is crucial to the university’s continued ascent will have to come through. Their dollars, their assessment of the righteousness of it all.
To say they deserve money would be wrong. But to say they need more of it to make the meter move. Yes. There's a reason smu did what they did

Reaction Score
That is not how NIL works. No large public corporation is going to donate to a slush fund to pay athletes. Who are the NIL backers? Generally, rich individuals who may own a company who are fans/alumni of the university. And, Dave Benedict is not out there directly raising money for NIL. Generally, there are collectives that are raising money and directing NIL money to players with some sort of collaboration with the school even though that is not allowed today, but it seems will change soon.

NIL was originally expected to be for mega stars like Paige Bueckers, as she can get promotional deals with Gatorade, Nike, etc to PROMOTE their products. NIL now includes paying players for playing for the school which is kind of mission drift, but it is the reality.

What about UConn NIL collectives? To my knowledge, there are 2:

1) Bleeding Blue for Good: Connects UConn athletes with charities and pays the athletes for their time.

2) D'Amelio Huskies Collective: Provides financial opportunities for athletes.

We probably need a 3rd collective that raises money and basically pays players. I think for a football team like UConn, we need $1.5 million in NIL per year: $100k for a QB, $30k for starters, $10k for back ups, $5k for rest of roster, $300k pool for special players.

Reaction Score
because they get paid back in engineering talent. as much as I desire NIL money as much as the next husky fan, asking RTX (fka UTC) for money that produces no return for them, is a stretch. President/board know this and their scope is to keep the university/health center alive, not just the football team.

RTX, aetna, travelers, and the like, are not going to care about football.
I wish it were different, but that ain't it.

I don't know what IS it. So I appreciate the spirit here, honestly. I just know that THAT ^^ won't happen.
They dump millions into half axe community projects. Getting $250K a year from an insurance company for a “we got you covered” promotion for a DBack, or UTC “efficient air flight” with a QB etc… need people with marketing brains.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom