Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Some pretty blunt assessments from Jim Mora

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, have we been losing out on recruits left and right lately? I haven't been following along.

Mora is 100% laying the groundwork to leave. He was probably told we'd be in the Big 12 because AD David Benedict thought the same. Now we are in no man's land with no where to go. He's proven he's not finished yet and can take a G5 job with resources and be successful. He could possibly show he should have a shot at a low P5 job. If he leaves, I don't blame him one bit. We are a sinking ship and for once, I really don't see a way back up.
The coaches all did some recruiting during the bye week. Likely a new common theme.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It’s pretty simple. All eggs went into the Big 12 basket and the Big 10 came in and screwed everything up. We had no back up plan

Then SMU buys their way into the ACC and we’re left yet again in no man’s land.

The only way to get out of this hole is to buy the talent to get out of this hole. Conference revenues won’t do it. Only NIL and big bags of cash will. Perhaps a creative way to charge more fees from students to fund the big bag needed to buy the talent will. It’s a world of unlimited free agency right now. Want to win? Give ‘em a bag

John Silver posted about this a few weeks ago and was spot on. It’s pervasive in lower level D1 hoops and 100x moreso for serious football programs.
Then AD should be on the chopping block for selling that rumor. We were never getting into the Big 12. We were a pawn.

He does need to find creative ways to sponsor NIL, but you better be beating G5 teams. It’s tough to see Mora start Fagnano, go 0-5, and then complain about no money or conference alignment. With the coaching decisions this season we’d still be a rich 0-5 if we were in a conference.

Reaction Score
Good Mora needs to force change here not want change FORCE CHANGE there’s a difference. He’s calling it like it is there needs to be more of an effort to get creative. The higher ups need to be uncomfortable and called out for change to happen there’s way too many excuses.

There is no excuse not to have enough NIL money.

Reaction Score
There is no excuse not to have enough NIL money.

Uhh there's plenty of excuses? You want the school to create football donors out of thin air? Where do you think NIL money comes from?

Reaction Score
That is my opinion. He should not have been telling recruits that we were going to a conference until the invite was signed and formally announced. Otherwise, he was promising them something he couldn't deliver.
Ah ok. Your opinion, i thought people in the admin were peed off about it.

My take is Mora is not seeing any progress on things discussed before he took the job and is getting frustrated. As a place becomes viewed more and more as an impossible place to win, the more you're going to have to pay for someone to come here and put their career on the line. We are teetering on becoming known as a coaching graveyard.

At some point, questions need to be asked if Benedict has any coherent plan as it comes to FB. Was going independent and signing TV deal that has good exposure but brings in no money it? How does that help to up the pay of the fb coaching staff?

Reaction Score
Then AD should be on the chopping block for selling that rumor. We were never getting into the Big 12. We were a pawn.

He does need to find creative ways to sponsor NIL, but you better be beating G5 teams. It’s tough to see Mora start Fagnano, go 0-5, and then complain about no money or conference alignment. With the coaching decisions this season we’d still be a rich 0-5 if we were in a conference.
Fagnano was the starter for less than 2 games. He's not the reason for 0-5.

Reaction Score
Ah ok. Your opinion, i thought people in the admin were peed off about it.

My take is Mora is not seeing any progress on things discussed before he took the job and is getting frustrated. As a place becomes viewed more and more as an impossible place to win, the more you're going to have to pay for someone to come here and put their career on the line. We are teetering on becoming known as a coaching graveyard.

At some point, questions need to be asked if Benedict has any coherent plan as it comes to FB. Was going independent and signing TV deal that has good exposure but brings in no money it? How does that help to up the pay of the fb coaching staff?
Football is basically dead. After seeing the Big XII fawn over ASU and freaking Utah it's clear that the presidents and member institutions as a whole have no clue what they're doing. Most of these schools have fallen backwards into their seat at the table. Theyre no more or less deserving than any other school, they just got lucky. We didn't. It is what it is. I'm not sure what our athletic department can do at this point. SMU basically bribed themselves into a conference that's going to be dead in a decade, anyway.

Reaction Score
Uhh there's plenty of excuses? You want the school to create football donors out of thin air? Where do you think NIL money comes from?
Get football donors then, had Robert Burton and Hathaway fumbled that to say the least. The state could get involved, at the very least the University should be more outspoken instead of being in the fetal position behind closed.

Need to come up with ideas instead of excuses.

Reaction Score
That is my opinion. He should not have been telling recruits that we were going to a conference until the invite was signed and formally announced. Otherwise, he was promising them something he couldn't deliver.
You're saying he promised we were going into a conference? That's either a fact or not a fact, not an opinion. He probably discussed it when it looked good for us, but I doubt anything was promised.

Jim Mora mentioned the need to raise money for NIL at the preseason reception at the Rent in August. It's not the first time he mentioned it and it won't be the last. NIL is still basically unregulated, which is exactly how the football "haves" like it. The NCAA is always going to favor the powerhouse programs because it's afraid of them leaving altogether. NIL is a problem for the vast majority of schools.

Reaction Score
After seeing the Big XII fawn over ASU and freaking Utah it's clear that the presidents and member institutions as a whole have no clue what they're doing. Most of these schools have fallen backwards into their seat at the table. Theyre no more or less deserving than any other school, they just got lucky. We didn't. It is what it is. I'm not sure what our athletic department can do at this point. SMU basically bribed themselves into a conference that's going to be dead in a decade, anyway.
The four schools that the Big 12 took, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St. are traditional rivals between themselves and other schools in the Big 12. Number of football games played against the future Big 12:

Arizona: 261
Arizona St.: 203
Colorado: 400
Utah: 271

UConn: 42

And, the 4 corner schools were all coming from a P5 conference and they are closer to the old Big 12 schools than UConn. Yormark (and probably Benedict) didn't expect the Pac 12 to collapse and that is why UConn was pursued as #14 with Colorado as #13. The Pac 12 collapsed and everything changed.

Reaction Score
We have the Hartford, Travelers, Cigna, Pfizer, Electric Boat, Gengras, Stanley, UTC, Eversource, Aetna, Gartner, Priceline and half a dozen hedge funds all capable of ponying up some Nil commitments. This is just AD Dave having no ability to organize and to think even inside the box. I suspect he largely reserved any of his efforts for basketball. You stack money for a few key impact players and build from there. They should be able to raise a few million in their sleep.
Most of those corporations don't have local presence. Their headquarters are elsewhere and they have no vested interest in our state.
Unfortunately - that is a big reason why the Whalers left. The heads of Travelers, Aetna etc were big supporters of Hartford. That ship has sailed.
UConn needs to find money from Connecticut owned and operated businesses

Reaction Score
And, the 4 corner schools were all coming from a P5 conference

Yes, like I said, they got lucky and administrators are clueless. They fall for ESPN marketing BS. It's a club we aren't getting into. The only qualifications are totally made up and over half of the schools that are a part of the club are no more deserving of their status than the next 30 schools behind them.

Reaction Score
Get football donors then, had Robert Burton and Hathaway fumbled that to say the least. The state could get involved, at the very least the University should be more outspoken instead of being in the fetal position behind closed.

Need to come up with ideas instead of excuses.
Oh yeah it's that easy. And it's totally Dave's fault that Hathaway was an idiot.

Reaction Score
Fagnano was the starter for less than 2 games. He's not the reason for 0-5.
I do wonder if it screwed with team morale. We came out the first few weeks looking like the season was already over. Idk if it was that, the Big XII stuff or other behind the scenes issues but something was off.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if it screwed with team morale. We came out the first few weeks looking like the season was already over. Idk if it was that, the Big XII stuff or other behind the scenes issues but something was off.
It certainly took 1st team reps from Ta'Quan, early.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah it's that easy. And it's totally Dave's fault that Hathaway was an idiot.
Who said its easy, ya im totally blaming Dave for Hathaway being an idiot.

Reaction Score
Well, look at the in season exodus of some players to the transfer portal. I know doing that probably preserves their year of eligibility, but I think it's rare for players to actually leave during the season as opposed to when the season is over. There definitely was something wrong behind the scenes, but most of us will never know the full details, but the actions speak loudly.

Reaction Score
Who said its easy, ya im totally blaming Dave for Hathaway being an idiot.
"Just get more donors" is like saying "just plant a money tree!!"

I'm sure the university is doing plenty of outreach. We just don't have the same culture in Connecticut as other parts of the country. You can't change the culture of an entire region.

Reaction Score
NIL money for players receiving full rides and being treated as well as any G5 team? Not sure about that. For a 1-5 team that came out flat to start a crucial season. Now that’s chutzpah!
Long term, with the mess that college sports is in, it is the only way to compete. People most invested in any one sport, get off the internet and pick up your pen and checkbook.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom