Some positives! | The Boneyard

Some positives!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I appreciate VJ's huge advancement on the offensive side - and not just hitting 3s
I am concerned about his D - he gets burned while in the zone and even worse on man to man - it's his feet - they are way to slow and plodding- hope it improves but that's a hard thing to work on - if you don't have speed you don't have it

Reaction Score
Love Vance I hope he keeps developing a nice all around game he's fun to watch
I wonder if Vance can play as a stretch 4 next year. There is an opening at the 4 and I don't see anyone on the roster who's going to be a no brainer there. Durham, if he improves a lot, maybe. But Vance has more size than Larrier (Larrier will be needed at the 3 anyway) and I think he could hold his own at the 4 against most teams.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I appreciate VJ's huge advancement on the offensive side - and not just hitting 3s
I am concerned about his D - he gets burned while in the zone and even worse on man to man - it's his feet - they are way to slow and plodding- hope it improves but that's a hard thing to work on - if you don't have speed you don't have it
He's improving but it's definitely a negative.

Reaction Score

Plodding is the right word. But he can (a) get quicker and (b) get smarter defensively and minimize that to an extent. He'll get better.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wonder if Vance can play as a stretch 4 next year. There is an opening at the 4 and I don't see anyone on the roster who's going to be a no brainer there. Durham, if he improves a lot, maybe. But Vance has more size than Larrier (Larrier will be needed at the 3 anyway) and I think he could hold his own at the 4 against most teams.
He's not a good enough rebounder.

Reaction Score

Freshman year is learning D1 ball
Sophomore year is making adjustments
Junior year is the production year
Senior year is the performance year

With all the minutes Vance is in sophomore mode about now. He is advanced offensively. Lets see how his defense is next year before we jump to conclusions. It could be his weight (i.e. bulk) and/or having to learn new defensive skills. He may grow some more and play the 4, then the foot speed will be less noticeable.

Larrier injury was the best thing that has happened to Vance. Ollie may have to start him along with Larrier with Vance as the stretch 4. Nice problem to have.

Reaction Score
That's where I would like to see him next year. He has enough size, great footwork and can bring out the other teams big men with his deep shooting.

Reaction Score
I think he plays most of his minutes at the three and Larrier plays Kentans position primarily.
Larrier doesn't have as much bulk and he's a better ball handler than Vance. So I think Larrier at the 3 and Vance at the 4 is better. But you're right, Vance will have to become a better rebounder for that to be a good line up.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kentan had a double double. He showed up and belonged on the court. Him and Vance had the right to wear UConn jerseys tonight. The others not so much.
Adams too. He got the shots he wanted but they were in and out. He hustled and didn't come out of the game. Unless you weren't including him in the "others." I would put vital and Durham too. Purvis no. Brimah no

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I think Jackson and Larrier can definitely hold down the starting forward spots next season. And I want to see Gilbert and Adams as the starting backcourt.

Those four guys will be the key to a lot of wins next season. Book it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Freshman year is learning D1 ball
Sophomore year is making adjustments
Junior year is the production year
Senior year is the performance year

With all the minutes Vance is in sophomore mode about now. He is advanced offensively. Lets see how his defense is next year before we jump to conclusions. It could be his weight (i.e. bulk) and/or having to learn new defensive skills. He may grow some more and play the 4, then the foot speed will be less noticeable.

Larrier injury was the best thing that has happened to Vance. Ollie may have to start him along with Larrier with Vance as the stretch 4. Nice problem to have.
We could use a few performers in their freshman years

Reaction Score
This is crazy to say; I know its not why they lost, but the refs gave SMU a jumpstart. Started with the so-called travel on Vance. Couldn't believe the guy would make a call like that. Ref was unabsructed and closest to Vance. I can name more instances as well. Not until the game was in SMU''s hands did it stop. For my wife to say this game looks like it may be fixed a little is saying something. She doesn't dare speak that way if she can help it.

Reaction Score
Plodding is the right word. But he can (a) get quicker and (b) get smarter defensively and minimize that to an extent. He'll get better.

Yes watched closely a couple of times when he was in man and he's already better. He guarded Moore from the hash to the lane and got a hand in his face for the jumper once, he made it but VJ moved his feet much better. I think he's a kid who knows what he needs to do better and expect his work already started and will continue through the summer. My guess is we will see a different kid in year 2, although I like what I see now. What jumped up at me on offense last night is he missed his first 3 from 3 last night so as a fan you hope that hot streak he;s been riding doesn't do an about face. Well he proved to be a solid shooter the 2nd half no doubting that now, confident and stroking it.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Hey at least the next game is Sunday at 6pm! I am sure there is nothing else on at that time. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Kentan Facey's development gives me real hope that Juwan Durham will be a big time player for us. Juwan seems to be a more skilled player at the same point in their careers. I know its a dark time but there are a few bright spots of hope for this team (not for this year).

Next year with a healthy Alterique Gilbert and Jalen Adams we have an exciting guard tandem . There will be less weight on CV's shoulders which will up his overall contribution. Then add MAL who by all accounts is a very exciting prospect and we have the makings of a UConn backcourt we expect to see year in year out.

We'll have a lot of talent at the wing, in the few games we saw its obvious Larrier knows how to get buckets, and Vance is really starting to develop. There will also be more overall talent in our frontcourt. Durham and Enoch will be a much better tandem than Facey and Brimah. The former were both were higher rated prospects in HS and have higher ceilings. I wont speculate on Diarra because we haven't seem him play at all.

Not to mention the addition by subtraction... We all need to be patient...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Vance and Durham have both showed enough signs already this year that by next year I think one at least will tighten their games to the point of being consistently reliable.

If our injuries don't hamper anyone by the time the games start next year, I think both Vance and Durham have showed enough to be relied upon in complementary roles, which makes me excited because our backcourt of a more mature Adams, MAL and Gilbert, with Larrier as a G/F combo, is incredibly exciting.

Then hopefully Steve can make the leap to at least be reliable at the 5...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom