Some of long timers here are overreacting. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some of long timers here are overreacting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wagner returns 5 of their top 6 players and 2 JR college transfers to a team that finished in the NIT last season. They are not your typical cupcake. Our best players are freshmen and sophomores. Brimah, Facey and Purvis should get their minutes reduced as the season moves along and the pups grow up. This is college. These guys are learning and will get better. Ollie's teams always peak in March.

I am not writing off this season though I have to be honest, I am already looking forward to next year when the 3 seniors are gone. If Larrier comes back, this team will go places. Regarding this year, I think Maui will tell us a lot. They do need a big men coach desperately. We haven't had a good one since that Pitt guy got caught with hookers. That was a damn shame on so many levels.

Either way, a WTF loss if you could call it that is out of the way. The top 5 got their mouthful of crow. They know what they need to work on, namely pretty much everything. Having said that, rebounding and offense, inside out play need a lot of work. Wagner showed them what a team can do when they play like one instead of bunch of individuals. Should be an entertaining season.

All of you guys are idiots. We lost to Wagner, so what. This means nothing. We could beat any team on any given night. Wagner is really impressive. A loss to the guys is nothing to be concerned about. If all of of our games are this entertaining we should be thrilled.

Reaction Score
This wasn't a normal loss. Not even close.

This is one of those 'i'm going to look back in five years and that's going to be the point where I knew we were in trouble' kind of losses.

It's Wagner. At home. With *their* best player sitting on his duff for 25% of the game. In an arena where we have the lights turned down so no one notices it's falling apart. IN front of an audience that can barely find the game on TV. With a team doing the same, precise, exact things they did poorly with different personnel the last two seasons. And the returning personnel doing the same things poorly they've always done because they haven't developed.

That's not the bench mark of a program headed in the right direction. At a point where the actual margin for error is much more significant in the long run. I'd much rather the school be overly aggressive in protecting the assets it has (hoops) and stop assuming that's fine and waste valuable resources pursuing success in something their fan base isn't even willing to pay for. This is a cataclysmic loss and if it sets off a spiral where this team is mediocre this year, it's time to make a change. A significant one. And get more focused on protecting the floor than trying to elevate a ceiling.
Is this Wagner team worse than that 2001 St Bonaventure team that beat Caron, Tony, Taliek, Emeka, Ben, and Johnnie F. Selvie by 18? That team finished 17-13.

Reaction Score
You young think us old guys are overreacting? Maybe it is because we remember when we were consistently in the top 10, on big Monday, Dickie V and crew at Gampel, on the level of Duke and Kentucky, in a real conference, actually got top 20 recruits (Donyell, Khalid, Caron, Charlie, RIP, Kemba) we truly were a blue blood. Now we have turned into a mid major in in JV conference and hope we can be the Gonzaga of the east. It breaks our hearts what has happened to the program.

Reaction Score
You young think us old guys are overreacting? Maybe it is because we remember when we were consistently in the top 10, on big Monday, Dickie V and crew at Gampel, on the level of Duke and Kentucky, in a real conference, actually got top 20 recruits (Donyell, Khalid, Caron, Charlie, RIP, Kemba) we truly were a blue blood. Now we have turned into a mid major in in JV conference and hope we can be the Gonzaga of the east. It breaks our hearts what has happened to the program.
What were your expectations for the first few years post Calhoun? Given that we lost one of the 2-3 greatest basketball coaches ever, had scholarship restrictions, had recruiting restrictions, had a tournament ban, and moved into a worse conference.

Reaction Score
I think there is an overreaction here. But mostly because I think Wagner is better than a lot of teams right now, and may be a top 40 team. At least in this game, they played like a team that "surprises" everyone and wins a couple games in the tournament as a 12 or 13 seed. We did play poorly, failed to control tempo, didn't shoot well, didn't defend well enough... but not giving Wagner credit for that and just saying "WE SUCK SEASON OVER DOOMED" is dumb. They were ready, they knocked down shots with hands in their face to open the second half and staved off a UConn comeback, and they disrupted a young team's offensive flow. Most of the players on our team were playing in their first D1 game as teammates. Anyone who watches a lot of basketball should have seen this coming.

Reaction Score
This game aside. Should KO be allowed to coach this team next year with another 6th place finish in the AAC? I don't believe he should, standards need to be much higher than that. This team last year had the preseason rookie of the year JA, preseason defensive player of the year in AB, and preseason first teamer in DH. Still managed to finish is 6th, underachieving at the highest level.

This post isn't about one game, although a painful reminder of the mediocrity I refuse to accept from this team over the last couple years.

Reaction Score
This game aside. Should KO be allowed to coach this team next year with another 6th place finish in the AAC? I don't believe he should, standards need to be much higher than that. This team last year had the preseason rookie of the year JA, preseason defensive player of the year in AB, and preseason first teamer in DH. Still managed to finish is 6th, underachieving at the highest level.

This post isn't about one game, although a painful reminder of the mediocrity I refuse to accept from this team over the last couple years.
This and it's own thread, huh?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You fire KO, and you'll get a string of mediocre coaches who will cement our mid-major status and not be able to draw talent.

Reaction Score
You fire KO, and you'll get a string of mediocre coaches who will cement our mid-major status and not be able to draw talent.
That's one of my favorite things about the brigade - they never offer any realistic suggestions for a replacement. It's just get rid of him and UConn will be fine regardless.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That's one of my favorite things about the brigade - they never offer any realistic suggestions for a replacement. It's just get rid of him and UConn will be fine regardless.

And they don't realize we will not get someone better at attracting talent to a cold-weather school in the AAC.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
/QUOTE]
Can we wait to see if we actually come in sixth before we spend time thinking about this?

Reaction Score
And they don't realize we will not get someone better at attracting talent to a cold-weather school in the AAC.
If KO keeps letting his talented teams lose as they have since the NC, the talent will stop coming regardless. Then KO will be working with poor players in his poor system/with his poor in-game coaching.

If you bite the bullet and get a new guy, yes the talent goes away quicker. But if the guy can coach, who should be able to stay in the top half of this conference, the team will start winning. Then the talent will start coming organically again. Someone mentioned Rick Barnes; if you grabbed him now while UConn could still be spun as an upgrade... as opposed to in 2020....

FWIW at this time I'm not for firing KO.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If KO keeps letting his talented teams lose as they have since the NC, the talent will stop coming regardless. Then KO will be working with poor players in his poor system/with his poor in-game coaching.

If you bite the bullet and get a new guy, yes the talent goes away quicker. But if the guy can coach, who should be able to stay in the top half of the conference, the team will start winning. Then the talent will start coming organically again. Someone mentioned Rick Barnes; if you grabbed him now while UConn could still be spun as an upgrade... as opposed to in 2020....

FWIW at this timeI'm not for firing KO.

Rick Barnes? You've lost your mind

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I can't believe we're starting this, but who has done more with the talent he's recruited as head coach?

We have a nice class this year. Rick Barnes did less with more (some serious top 10 talent) longer than any coach I can think of

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have a nice class this year. Rick Barnes did less with more (some serious top 10 talent) longer than any coach I can think of

Not only that, but he's not recruiting to Texas here. Huge difference.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is a dumpster fire right now, but I'm still fully behind him. He has this year and next year to figure it out, and I think he will.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn has to learn how to beat a zone. They don't have multiple shooters like they've had in previous seasons, so they cannot out shoot the zone. It looked like Larrier was flashing to center of the zone pretty effectively in the second half, but neither Gilbert, nor Adams was getting him the ball there. He would have to come out to the top of the key to avoid the 3 seconds and no one respects his up fake because he really doesn't have an outside shot. I don't know what his MO is, but it is pretty clear that Ollie needs to gameplan for ALL opponents.

Facey is an empty jersey on the offensive end and Brimah is almost useless unless the ball is right above the rim and he is already in the air.

Two other things.
1) Northeastern was in the penalty with 8 minutes to go in the first half. They committed only one more foul the rest of the half? ONE!!!!! On the other hand UConn was 40% from the line. Where did the 95% FT shooting team go from two years ago? What happened to the Steve Nash Drill? Brimah looks like a cross between Shaq and Dwight Howard at the line. What the heck is the little flipping motion? Where did his form go that sent the St. Joe's game into overtime? Oh, and anyone thinking Gilbert was a one-and-done can put that idea on the back burner. Just like Purvis, the NBA likes it's guards to hit their free throws.

2) Speaking of Fouls. Why not drive directly at Murphy? IIRC, he had three fouls early in the 2nd half and Rick Barnes mentioned he didn't want to pick up his 4th. Why did UConn accommodate him?

There is still plenty of time to turn the season around and I don't Ollie is in trouble yet, but I'm tired of seeing his WTF face. He can't deny that a good amount of the under-performance of the last few days is on him.

Reaction Score
Wagner returns 5 of their top 6 players and 2 JR college transfers to a team that finished in the NIT last season. They are not your typical cupcake. Our best players are freshmen and sophomores. Brimah, Facey and Purvis should get their minutes reduced as the season moves along and the pups grow up. This is college. These guys are learning and will get better. Ollie's teams always peak in March.

I am not writing off this season though I have to be honest, I am already looking forward to next year when the 3 seniors are gone. If Larrier comes back, this team will go places. Regarding this year, I think Maui will tell us a lot. They do need a big men coach desperately. We haven't had a good one since that Pitt guy got caught with hookers. That was a damn shame on so many levels.

Either way, a WTF loss if you could call it that is out of the way. The top 5 got their mouthful of crow. They know what they need to work on, namely pretty much everything. Having said that, rebounding and offense, inside out play need a lot of work. Wagner showed them what a team can do when they play like one instead of bunch of individuals. Should be an entertaining season.

They just lost to UMass Lowell and we just lost to Northeastern. Maybe you are blind to it and under reacting? Yeah I think so. Get your head out of KO's

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They just lost to UMass Lowell and we just lost to Northeastern. Maybe you are blind to it and under reacting? Yeah I think so. Get your head out of KO's
Yeah under reacting - that's is
wow
But the usual "Its all KOs fault" clan are level headed
I agree with dander on his Wagner observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads