Some Insight to Andrea Hudy's Training Methods | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some Insight to Andrea Hudy's Training Methods

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course. I was referring to a HOF football player that had less than a "cut" physique. Just a good player that showed up to work every day. Good job changing the subject to football head injuries. I was just laughing about "cut"athletes that miss time for hang nails and less than cut athletes that play every day. With your expertise, you have certainly seen that phenomenon up close and personal.
Ever heard the term, "farmer strong" or "cock strong"? I thought so.
John Hannah comes to mind….and yes Alex Karras was incredibly strong, in part from working summers at the steel mill in Gary, IN where he grew up. What concerns me with the direction of the discussion here is that there seems to be an underlying effort to downplay the essential importance of weight training for today’s athletes.

We grew up in a different time. I was one of only a handful of kids in my HS who lifted weights. In college I played for a young coach with innovative ideas. Weight training was not optional. As I commented previously, nowadays any serious athlete who doesn’t lift weights is not really a serious athlete.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
John Hannah comes to mind….and yes Alex Karras was incredibly strong, in part from working summers at the steel mill in Gary, IN where he grew up. What concerns me with the direction of the discussion here is that there seems to be an underlying effort to downplay the essential importance of weight training for today’s athletes.

We grew up in a different time. I was one of only a handful of kids in my HS who lifted weights. In college I played for a young coach with innovative ideas. Weight training was not optional. As I commented previously, nowadays any serious athlete who doesn’t lift weights is not really a serious athlete.
Tom Brady not serious?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tom Brady not serious?
Brady’s TB12 plan incorporates diet, plyometrics and conditioning into a rigorous workout regimen that he does 4-5 days per week during the off-season, with the diet portion essentially a lifestyle choice year round.

The excercise portion includes about 40 minutes per day of resistance band work, in addition to squats, lunges and planks. In many ways TB12 is similar to the WADS that characterize CrossFit training.

Brady is incredibly dedicated and incredibly fit for his age. He also plays QB, a position that does not require the maximization of strength and muscle mass the same as the other 21 positions on a football field.

But to your point there are other means to maintain strength and conditioning without necessarily lifting weights. We can all remember how Steph transformed her body prior to her jr season at UConn through diet & P90x.

So let me rephrase my comment. Nowadays if you are a serious athlete, you have to train seriously or you are not a serious athlete. The days when pro football players spent more time at the bars than the gym are long gone.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Brady’s TB12 plan incorporates diet, plyometrics and conditioning into a rigorous workout regimen that he does 4-5 days per week during the off-season, with the diet portion essentially a lifestyle choice year round.

The excercise portion includes about 40 minutes per day of resistance band work, in addition to squats, lunges and planks. In many ways TB12 is similar to the WADS that characterize CrossFit training.
Aparently his regime also includes regular visits to the Rental Car Agency to re-charge...:rolleyes:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

Brady is incredibly dedicated and incredibly fit for his age. He also plays QB, a position that does not require the maximization of strength and muscle mass the same as the other 21 positions on a football field.

But to your point there are other means to maintain strength and conditioning without necessarily lifting weights. We can all remember how Steph transformed her body prior to her jr season at UConn through diet & P90x.

So let me rephrase my comment. Nowadays if you are a serious athlete, you have to train seriously or you are not a serious athlete. The days when pro football players spent more time at the bars than the gym are long gone.
I won't knit pick about all other positions, but my simple question prompted our agreement on serious athletes and training.

Reaction Score
" A fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows
one big thing " Archilochus, Ancient Greek Poet
many interpretations. I tend to believe in pluralism , but
realize some "facts" / "values" / " beliefs" have more credibility.
Being somewhat a skeptic : I ask : Who is saying this?
How do they know?
and Who benefits?
It's a process. Make your own best decision based on what
you know, think, believe, value at any given time. If it does not
work out? = reboot and make an appropriate adjustment.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Reaction Score
Babe Ruth lifted a beer mug. But high repetitions.
Often wonder what babe Ruth would have done if he wasn’t the life of the party. 1000 home runs? Might have had 4-5 more productive seasons

On the other hand, David Wells says he pitched his perfect game while still wasted from the night before. Wells also bought a hat worn by Babe Ruth and wore it in a game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Often wonder what babe Ruth would have done if he wasn’t the life of the party. 1000 home runs? Might have had 4-5 more productive seasons

On the other hand, David Wells says he pitched his perfect game while still wasted from the night before. Wells also bought a hat worn by Babe Ruth and wore it in a game
I am reminded of Mickey Mantle's famous line, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Just about every male relative in Mantle's family died young. Mantle lived his life as if there was no tomorrow. He managed to live until he was 63 years old, but injuries and alcoholism eventually curtailed his baseball career and made his later years very difficult as he battled various ailments including liver cancer which ultimately took his life.

Reaction Score
I am reminded of Mickey Mantle's famous line, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Just about every male relative in Mantle's family died young. Mantle lived his life as if there was no tomorrow. He managed to live until he was 63 years old, but injuries and alcoholism eventually curtailed his baseball career and made his later years very difficult as he battled various ailments including liver cancer which ultimately took his life.
I think if I could have one day living someone’s life it would be Mickey. Hit a couple of home runs then a night out with Billy and Whitey

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think if I could have one day living someone’s life it would be Mickey. Hit a couple of home runs then a night out with Billy and Whitey
I’d rather be Yogi Berra who died in his sleep from natural causes at the age of 90.

Reaction Score

He had the perfect exercise regimen.

1639854403484.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But he didn’t say that she’s doing it WITHOUT THE DAMN BRACE!!

Surely this should be on the biased ESPN ticker, right? Perhaps the video on Sports Center tonight? :rolleyes:
The video clip where Paige was doing pull-ups, she was braceless

Reaction Score
I think the brace is intended to prevent her from over-extending her knee joint which caused the injury.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Damm. Never noticed Paige was sans brace as I kept watching her do pull-ups, which is hard for lots of folks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Damm. Never noticed Paige was sans brace as I kept watching her do pull-ups, which is hard for lots of folks.
I don't even see a scar? I guess it was arthroscopic??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Back in the dark ages, I did a lot of squats on two legs to build strength. I am fascinated with the more recent focus on “single-leg” squats, which we see most of the Huskies in this video doing some version of.

Trainers like Andrea Hudy are promoting single-leg squats based in large measure on the fact that much of what a player does in the game of basketball is on one leg or the other. Single-leg squats are excellent for not only building strength, but also promoting the development of stabilizer muscles, balance, flexibility and greatly reducing the potential for injury.

As I said earlier in this thread, it will take some time for UConn WBB to fully benefit from Andrea Hudy’s training methods. But that day is coming rapidly, and when it gets here, the Huskies will be able to match any team in the country when it comes to strength and conditioning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom