Some Insight to Andrea Hudy's Training Methods | The Boneyard

Some Insight to Andrea Hudy's Training Methods

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice article on Andrea Hudy's training methods at UConn. I found several comments in the article very interesting. "Her evaluations of athletes no longer centered on the amount of weight an athlete could lift, or even how strong they were compared to others, but instead on how each athlete's force production - how fast someone lifts a barbell, at what point they hit fatigue - determined individual strength." When it comes to overworking and the risk of injury: "Hudy, informed by her own experience as a student-athlete, constantly tells players and especially underclassmen to take days off and limit extra reps to avoid injury risk.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"especially underclassmen to take days off and limit extra reps to avoid injury risk.” - Is this about injury risk to a underclass 38mpg player in closing minute of tough game with a safe lead? Been thinking Geno is brilliant in developing his better players' skills, & understanding of the game leading to WNBA success. On the other hand...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, I didn’t post this article to incite another round of “blame game” relative to UConn’s recent spate of injuries. I have been involved in strength and conditioning for 50+ years. Hudy is not a novice. Her training methods are proven effective, shared by personal trainers and strength and conditioning coaches throughout HS, college and professional sports.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Down to 8 players. Probably should have shelved this article for a month or 2.

Paige had a freak accident, Azzi's foot issue that originated sometime last spring, and Nika and Aubrey's injuries extend back to last year.

I don't think it's fair to say that these injuries reflect back on the S&C staff. In fact, the fact that Evina can play a full game this year tells me they're doing pretty okay.

Reaction Score
Guys, I didn’t post this article to incite another round of “blame game” relative to UConn’s recent spate of injuries. I have been involved in strength and conditioning for 50+ years. Hudy is not a novice. Her training methods are proven effective, shared by personal trainers and strength and conditioning coaches throughout HS, college and professional sports.
Starting a thread can be like a box of chocolates Old Dude

Reaction Score
Why?

Down to 8 players. Probably should have shelved this article for a month or 2.
Yeah, not necessarily an indictment of Hudy's ability and methods, perhaps just an unfortunate set of circumstances and lousy timing.
If everyone bounces back and starts to pick up the pieces, she'll be out of the doghouse.
If she was ever in.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t meant to be an indictment. Just question the timing on an article about someone responsible health and wellness when we have people traveling through portals like it’s the express line at Walmart and players who look like they signed NILs with boot and crutches companies. Optics.

Reaction Score
As a college athlete in 2 sports, a triathlete and a sub 3:00 marathoner, it is my opinion that injuries happen for a multitude of reasons. Often it's hard to even pinpoint how it happened. I was particularly injury prone in all my activities, even golf because of my particular build and body structure. BUT injuries are NOT all bad luck and happenstance. The athlete's behavior and coaching/training are large factors in the process.
When the Yankees Aaron Judge gets an oblique injury and misses 40 games from swinging a bat, yes (as a fan) I wonder what the heck is going on. Coaches "stress management"? Are athletes too lean? Is something wrong biomechanically?
So, yes, I think an intellectual conversation on this injury epidemic is warranted.
(Last thing- learned mostly as a marathoner- the body is an amazing machine at compensating for infirmities. If an athlete "favors" a part of the body, an injury at another place can occur. (, AG?) That stuff can be avoided! Load management, massage, strength training ......)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“There are times where they want to do extra and it’s diminishing return. Like that extra might make you feel like you’re getting better, but it can actually take away from your performance,” Hudy said. “We’re trying to manage Azzi Fudd. She wants to do so well and she’s so competitive. She wants to be No. 1 and it’s good, it’s really good, but then you’re like, ‘OK, maybe you could need a day off because more may not be better.’ ”

Note the "We're trying" about managing Azzi. I imagine she is fit to be tied with this injury dealing her yet another bunch of time away from the game. It is natural to think recovery can be enhanced by increasing exercise, but I hope Azzi listens to Andrea.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a college athlete in 2 sports, a triathlete and a sub 3:00 marathoner, it is my opinion that injuries happen for a multitude of reasons. Often it's hard to even pinpoint how it happened. I was particularly injury prone in all my activities, even golf because of my particular build and body structure. BUT injuries are NOT all bad luck and happenstance. The athlete's behavior and coaching/training are large factors in the process.
When the Yankees Aaron Judge gets an oblique injury and misses 40 games from swinging a bat, yes (as a fan) I wonder what the heck is going on. Coaches "stress management"? Are athletes too lean? Is something wrong biomechanically?
So, yes, I think an intellectual conversation on this injury epidemic is warranted.
(Last thing- learned mostly as a marathoner- the body is an amazing machine at compensating for infirmities. If an athlete "favors" a part of the body, an injury at another place can occur. (, AG?) That stuff can be avoided! Load management, massage, strength training ......)
I would hardly call this group of injuries an “epidemic.” While the timing of the injuries to 4 key players at once is unfortunate, UConn, as well as other WBB programs, have experienced multiple player injuries before.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that “strength conditioning” is a lot more emphasized now than it was back in the day. My sport was hockey. I practiced of course, but the only thing I lifted was a beer mug. Now, some athletes spend more time in the weight room than they do on the court or field. Maybe it’s me but I’m noticing a lot more non contact injuries with todays athletes. I think there may be such a thing a TOO finely tuned athlete. Like a thoroughbred racehorse. Magnificent to look at. One bad step away from euthanasia.

Coaches want there players to muscle up….get stronger. So they do. And, some still can’t make a layup.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that “strength conditioning” is a lot more emphasized now than it was back in the day. My sport was hockey. I practiced of course, but the only thing I lifted was a beer mug. Now, some athletes spend more time in the weight room than they do on the court or field. Maybe it’s me but I’m noticing a lot more non contact injuries with todays athletes. I think there may be such a thing a TOO finely tuned athlete. Like a thoroughbred racehorse. Magnificent to look at. One bad step away from euthanasia.

Coaches want there players to muscle up….get stronger. So they do. And, some still can’t make a layup.
And again correlation <> causation.

In the olden days there were elite 150lb wide receivers. Today those folks would be knocked out on the first play.

The world has changed. More players, more competition, more physical freaks, better nutrition, and greater physical skills. You need to be in the weight room if you want to be successful.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Non-contact injuries have always been around, particularly in WBB, including Rebecca Lobo’s ACL injury in 1999. Proper training and conditioning will both prevent severe injuries and dramatically improve recovery times. When my son told me he wanted to play football, I told him that was fine by me, but I insisted he lift weights primarily as a way to prevent serious injury. Nowadays, anyone who is serious about competing in sports that doesn’t lift weights, really isn’t serious about competing in sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Totally relate to what you're saying.
Did Alex Karras have an injury problem? If he did, he just added another few rolls of tape.
I know it's not the same.... but if you want a really tasty burger, you don't go for the seriously lean. Better for you, though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Totally relate to what you're saying.
Did Alex Karras have an injury problem? If he did, he just added another few rolls of tape.
I know it's not the same.... but if you want a really tasty burger, you don't go for the seriously lean. Better for you, though.
I know there’s a tendency to want to believe the good old days were somehow better than today. Alex Karras sued the NFL for the repetitive head injuries he suffered as a player. During the last decade of his life he suffered from progressive dementia to the point where he could no longer recognize friends and family. So yes, Alex Karras did have an injury problem. It took his mind long before he died.

Reaction Score

I hear what you are saying and I agree with it. But I could live without the euthanasia analogy...

Reaction Score
I know there’s a tendency to want to believe the good old days were somehow better than today. Alex Karras sued the NFL for the repetitive head injuries he suffered as a player. During the last decade of his life he suffered from progressive dementia to the point where he could no longer recognize friends and family. So yes, Alex Karras did have an injury problem. It took his mind long before he died.
Of course. I was referring to a HOF football player that had less than a "cut" physique. Just a good player that showed up to work every day. Good job changing the subject to football head injuries. I was just laughing about "cut"athletes that miss time for hang nails and less than cut athletes that play every day. With your expertise, you have certainly seen that phenomenon up close and personal.
Ever heard the term, "farmer strong" or "cock strong"? I thought so.

Reaction Score

Wonder if Larry Bird ever lifted a weight?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wonder if Larry Bird ever lifted a weight?
As Bird got older he actually became a workout fanatic during the off-season incorporating stretching, running, stationary biking and weight lifting into his routine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom