Some Humble Pie | The Boneyard

Some Humble Pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still not sold on Coach P after the 'don't take a knee issue' but much props to this team. Gutsy, gutsy win. Too many empty seats but those of us who were there made plenty of noise. Onward and upward.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Too many empty seats overall, but the highest percentage of people who stayed to the end in a long time.

Reaction Score
for a 3:30 start, i cant understand how empty it is there as game started. but then fills in by end of 1st qtr. problem is most people who go to scoreboard endzone @ half time, end up staying there.

Reaction Score
for a 3:30 start, i cant understand how empty it is there as game started. but then fills in by end of 1st qtr. problem is most people who go to scoreboard endzone @ half time, end up staying there.

Can't figure out why though...it isn't a better view.

Reaction Score
Too many people stand up all over the stadium. How do you leave a 16 - 10 game at any time before the end ??

Reaction Score
330 does not work as well crowd wise as 12... I'm telling you there are toO many people who have plans on a Saturday nite that this time spills into... I understand the kids games argument on Saturday mornings but that doesn't compare to more students and people more concerned with Saturday nite plans that a 630 or 7 finish and drive home effect those nite plans...marathon screwed today up.... From now on besides marathon day and tv big games keep the games at 12 or nite time

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah why would anyone put the game ahead of other plans. I'd hate to be a fan of a team where the game was a priority for people.

Reaction Score
Fewer people, but more noise for a 3:30 game. I'll take that over a full, quiet stadium.

Reaction Score
330 does not work as well crowd wise as 12... I'm telling you there are toO many people who have plans on a Saturday nite that this time spills into... I understand the kids games argument on Saturday mornings but that doesn't compare to more students and people more concerned with Saturday nite plans that a 630 or 7 finish and drive home effect those nite plans...marathon screwed today up.... From now on besides marathon day and tv big games keep the games at 12 or nite time
If this is a problem then we will never be a BIG time football program. Game day should be an all day event - no other plans. That is how ND - Mich - and all big time teams game days are.

Reaction Score
If this is a problem then we will never be a BIG time football program. Game day should be an all day event - no other plans. That is how ND - Mich - and all big time teams game days are.

None of the B1G programs were built over night. give it time the more we win the more desirable tickets our games will be and the better the fans will be that actually come to the game. We will be B1G material but it takes more than a few years to build a fan base.

Reaction Score
None of the B1G programs were built over night. give it time the more we win the more desirable tickets our games will be and the better the fans will be that actually come to the game. We will be B1G material but it takes more than a few years to build a fan base.
I agree 100% .

Reaction Score

Yeah... well tell that to your wife when it's her parent's 50th Anniversary Dinner :eek: Thank God I got to listen to the last play as we pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. damn move to 3:30 game killed me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This win was positively Edsallesque. Get a lead off a freak play and then try to run out the clock for 20 minutes.

UConn played well on defense against a good opponent, and did just enough offensively to pull it out. I'll take it.

Reaction Score
Yeah... well tell that to your wife when it's her parent's 50th Anniversary Dinner :eek: Thank God I got to listen to the last play as we pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. damn move to 3:30 game killed me.

baby-crying.jpg

Reaction Score
When UConn is putting up 10...11....12 win seasons and the non conference opponents are teams like Maryland, Navy, Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St and Notre Dame the place will be packed and the seats will be sold out before the season starts...just like the big boys. Winning will take care of everything. We have a winning coaching staff. Now lets give them a chance to bring in winning football players. I can't wait to read the blogs about how hard it is to get a ticket. They did it in men's basketball when nobody thought they could. They can do it in football too.

Reaction Score
Fewer people...... for a 3:30 game.

Lets get our facts straight.​

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312880041

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312740041

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312590041

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=312460041

I expect Syracuse to be a sell out, and I hope it's another 3:30 Sat game. The only thing better would be an 8pm Saturday primetime game.

Saturday afternoon, or saturday night in primetime, is the best time for college football. Saturday night plans? kiss my ass. If you've got dinner plans with the in-laws for 6-8pm for saturday night on a homecoming day came kickoff at 3:30pm? Then something needs to shift on priorities.

THe crowd as FAN-tastic yesterday.

Also - the sky yesterday was the most amazing I"ve seen I think ever at Rentschler, those clouds and colors were churning like something out of the Ghostbusters movie.

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was great yesterday. Just took a little too long to get in the damn gates.

Regarding becoming a "big time program", we will never become the south in this regard. When the schedules are released in the state of Alabama, there are no kid's games or activities scheduled on those days. They literally treat gamedays as a state holiday. That ain't ever going to happen here, but we can absolutely increase this fanbase. It will just take time.

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was great yesterday. Just took a little too long to get in the damn gates.

Regarding becoming a "big time program", we will never become the south in this regard. When the schedules are released in the state of Alabama, there are no kid's games or activities scheduled on those days. They literally treat gamedays as a state holiday. That ain't ever going to happen here, but we can absolutely increase this fanbase. It will just take time.
Yes you are right on.

Reaction Score
I hear you. Not always going to work for everyone for every game.

Reaction Score
The best time for Saturday games is 3:30 not 8:00. If you want to build the fan base it's important to get more kids to the games, that's hard to do at night. Night games on weeknights are great but not on Saturday.

Reaction Score

so you're saying that because other people have plans today, we'll never be "a BIG time footb all program"? nonsense. after a few generations of fans have gone to the games religiously it'll be an all day event, but you can't expect that to happen over night. it certainly didn't at Michigan. you're certainly not going to accomplish anything by pouting about it.

Reaction Score
so you're saying that because other people have plans today, we'll never be "a BIG time footb all program"? nonsense. after a few generations of fans have gone to the games religiously it'll be an all day event, but you can't expect that to happen over night. it certainly didn't at Michigan. you're certainly not going to accomplish anything by pouting about it.
Not Pouting just stating a fact. I do agree with you. I also know that fans do have other obligations that requires them to miss some games - I have 2 kids myself so I understand. I know a lot of so called football fans who tell me it will never happen here and I tell them just what you said and I try to get them to support the best sports program we have in this state but it is hard sometimes.

Reaction Score
Not Pouting just stating a fact. I do agree with you. I also know that fans do have other obligations that requires them to miss some games - I have 2 kids myself so I understand. I know a lot of so called football fans who tell me it will never happen here and I tell them just what you said and I try to get them to support the best sports program we have in this state but it is hard sometimes.

a lot of people told me when we first upgraded that we wouldn't play in a bowl game for ten years and that we'd never play a BCS game, so i don't let what other people say bother me too much. i live out of state and have 2 kids under 2 so i haven't even been to a UConn game since the papajohns bowl, so i can't throw stones about attendance. football isn't the number one priority in my life, like it may be for some hillbilly in Alabama, but to be honest it doesn't bother me that our fans have lives outside of football season. unfortunately if you look at recent history the teams that have managed long term success have largely been cheating, and i'd rather us stay small time than go the route of hiring criminals to live near our students and play football. blind, endless passion doesn't need to be the goal. i'm perfectly satisfied spending all of my free time following a team of good citizens that represent the school well, and help the school grow academically as we have used bball over the last 20 years to improve the university, even if it means we only have 39k in the stands. i'm really looking forward to the growth of the program and i can't wait until we get to a point that a stadium expansion is required, but i'm also enjoying the ride there.

one thing that workds against us is that most of our alumni dont' have any memory of going to 1A football games. most schools fans come from students, alumni, and friends and family of alumni. in 20 years there will be another 60k or 70k alumni, probably half of whom will live within a couple hours of the stadium and many of them will have gone to UConn football games since they were college. if a quarter of them attend regularly and bring a couple of friends we'll start filling the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom