Some Guy’s Exit Interview with Susan Herbst | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Some Guy’s Exit Interview with Susan Herbst

Reaction Score
The crazy part of this disagreement is that some of the people criticizing Susan for not being proactive enough in 2013 (I'm not saying she doesn't deserve blame) are also the people arguing that building the Rent was a good decision.

How easy was it for Louisville and Syracuse/BC people to point out that UConn doesn't even have a campus Stadium, and that it must play 30 miles away? Meanwhile, Louisville's Stadium is a block off campus? You think this wasn't held against UConn?

Reaction Score
I disagree. Can somebody pull the attendance numbers during Edsall’s first reign and compare to what they are now. You’re discounting fans in the lower end of the state and NYC who did and would support the team at Rentschler if it was a top 25 caliber program again.

There are 130 college teams. You can't rely on top 25 rankings, and if your attendance falls off because you're not one of the best, especially against well-heeled schools in football hotbeds, then you can't get by. No way can you predicate a program on the expectation that fans will come if only you're ranked in the top 25.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was making a point about how culturally UConn sucks for college football. Other parts of the country they don't whine about having to drive 45 minutes to watch a game, instead they plan their falls around when and where they will be watching their team. They take off time and park their RV's days before games to make a vacation out of it. The whole idea that people are worried about driving an extra half hour is so foreign to the rest of the country.

And every single year the amount of places likes that shrinks. The stadiums are empty at huge public U’s every week.

Nobody is building 1979 Nebraska again - the world has changed. The idea someone is going to replicate that is insane.

It’s like a cigarette company exec saying he’s going to bring back the 50’s and you’ll have an ashtray at work.

Watch games - outside of a handful of schools or huge matchups the stadiums are bleeding fans at an insane rate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The crazy part of this disagreement is that some of the people criticizing Susan for not being proactive enough in 2013 (I'm not saying she doesn't deserve blame) are also the people arguing that building the Rent was a good decision.

How easy was it for Louisville and Syracuse/BC people to point out that UConn doesn't even have a campus Stadium, and that it must play 30 miles away? Meanwhile, Louisville's Stadium is a block off campus? You think this wasn't held against UConn?

Yeah the reason why UConn is in the AAC is they play football 30 minutes from campus. Nailed it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To claim that UConn is hurt by playing off campus forces one to explain how playing basketball off campus for decades didnt get in the way of winning 15 championships in basketball.

That of course ignores that they drew perfectly fine at Rentschler for a decade until they hired the biggest loser administrators and coaches in the country.

It’s an excuse - plain and simple. An on campus stadium would actually be emptier than the Rent and would not be any real driver of growth.

Talking about the culture elsewhere is silly. The sport is going to perish at the youth levels - trading your mental acuity for high school football
glory is a pretty bad trade.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To claim that UConn is hurt by playing off campus forces one to explain how playing basketball off campus for decades didnt get in the way of winning 15 championships in basketball.

That of course ignores that they drew perfectly fine at Rentschler for a decade until they hired the biggest loser administrators and coaches in the country.

It’s an excuse - plain and simple. An on campus stadium would actually be emptier than the Rent and would not be any real benefit for growth.
Not really if you accept as most people do that football's 6 home games a year are a different animal from having two games a week in basketball.

The point that people are making is that having the games on campus makes it more accessible to the students and thus is an investment in the future. It is a good thing to have your college students get in the habit of seeing games. Making it inconvenient for them is just dumb.

Quick question don't we have the same coach now as when we were filling the Rent? The name seems awfully familiar.

Reaction Score
And every single year the amount of places likes that shrinks. The stadiums are empty at huge public U’s every week.

Nobody is building 1979 Nebraska again - the world has changed. The idea someone is going to replicate that is insane.

It’s like a cigarette company exec saying he’s going to bring back the 50’s and you’ll have an ashtray at work.

Watch games - outside of a handful of schools or huge matchups the stadiums are bleeding fans at an insane rate.
I don't even think football is going to exist down the road so everything in realignment revolving around college football has never made sense to me. Starting all these pro football leagues while football is losing popularity doesn't make any sense to me either. Nothing seems to be forward thinking.

Reaction Score
Yeah the reason why UConn is in the AAC is they play football 30 minutes from campus. Nailed it.

You're crazy if you don't understand that this had an impact. It makes UConn look second-rate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're crazy if you don't understand that this had an impact. It makes UConn look second-rate.

This isn’t a mind-bender. This is bad leaders hiring the worst coaches in the country.

Paul Pasqauloni - his players quit on the field so bad that UConn - yes UConn- was forced to fire their football coach in SEPTEMBER.

Bob Diaco - I’m sure there is someone worse who has been an FBS coach - but I’d love to hear his name. He was so bad I asked to be banned from this website after his first game. I’m not sure anyone can ever top the debacle of when he started Donovin Williams against Temple. The players should have refused to take field.

Randy Edsall Redux. Much respect for Edsall on his first stint and how he handed Jasper’s murder - but nobody who has any interest in playing football hires Randy Edsall in 2017 while handing him a shoestring budget. He was 15 years behind the game when Maryland destroyed their program. He’s going to hand the ball to his running backs 40 times a game in 2019, and lose 10 games by an average of 25 points.

ITS NOT WHERE THE STADIUM IS - ITS CLUELESS LEADERSHIP WHO BUSTED THE BUDGET AND CANT MAKE A GOOD HIRE.

Reaction Score
This isn’t a mind-bender. This is bad leaders hiring the worst coaches in the country.

Paul Pasqauloni - his players quit on the field so bad that UConn - yes UConn- was forced to fire their football coach in SEPTEMBER.

Bob Diaco - I’m sure there is someone worse who has been an FBS coach - but I’d love to hear his name. He was so bad I asked to be banned from this website after his first game. I’m not sure anyone can ever top the debacle of when he started Donovin Williams against Temple. The players should have refused to take field.

Randy Edsall Redux. Much respect for Edsall on his first stint and how he handed Jasper’s murder - but nobody who has any interest in playing football hires Randy Edsall in 2017 while handing him a shoestring budget. He was 15 years behind the game when Maryland destroyed their program. He’s going to hand the ball to his running backs 40 times a game in 2019, and lose 10 games by an average of 25 points.

ITS NOT WHERE THE STADIUM IS - ITS CLUELESS LEADERSHIP WHO BUSTED THE BUDGET AND CANT MAKE A GOOD HIRE.
Did you forget your meds today?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with what you said. Just full of anger. Meds might alleviate some of it

I actually find the Diaco era humorous. No anger - but I do get annoyed by the Herbst apologists. She signed off on two Bob Diaco contracts and wants to blame the stadium. I mean come on.

Reaction Score

For as great as Edsall handled Jazz's murder and brought along a program from the ground up, it was so cowardly how he handled Todman leaving early and his exit for his "dream job" in College Park.

He built something he should have been proud of and could build further upon and he blew it all up at the end, it will never make any sense to me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For as great as Edsall handled Jazz's murder and brought along a program from the ground up, it was so cowardly how he handled Todman leaving early and his exit for his "dream job" in College Park.

He built something he should have been proud of and could build further upon and he blew it all up at the end, it will never make any sense to me.

He could have pulled off exit better but he would have been an idiot to stay and pass up that money.

Reaction Score
He could have pulled off exit better but he would have been an idiot to stay and pass up that money.
It was brutal how he exited. He Tommy Tuberville level slithered away after lecturing Todman earlier on about what it takes to be a man.

Reaction Score

Thinking of creating a parady account “ALL CAPS WHALER11”

Reaction Score
Fits here as well as anywhere...

Ticket price cuts are at least a start for Gophers AD Mark Coyle

>>Teams in all sports nationally, pro and college, are grappling with declining attendance. The Gophers face a double whammy because they share a market with six major pro teams. The competition for fan and corporate dollars is intense.

Gophers football last season had its lowest average attendance since 1992. Attendance for men’s hockey is a fraction of what it once was, in part because of exorbitant ticket prices. Men’s basketball rarely reaches capacity anymore.

The best solution, of course, is for teams to win consistently and contend for championships. But Coyle understands that he can’t sit and wait for that to happen, or simply hope fans will show up without giving them incentives.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fits here as well as anywhere...

Ticket price cuts are at least a start for Gophers AD Mark Coyle

>>Teams in all sports nationally, pro and college, are grappling with declining attendance. The Gophers face a double whammy because they share a market with six major pro teams. The competition for fan and corporate dollars is intense.

Gophers football last season had its lowest average attendance since 1992. Attendance for men’s hockey is a fraction of what it once was, in part because of exorbitant ticket prices. Men’s basketball rarely reaches capacity anymore.

The best solution, of course, is for teams to win consistently and contend for championships. But Coyle understands that he can’t sit and wait for that to happen, or simply hope fans will show up without giving them incentives.<<

I guess the Minnesota MLS entry is hot - what the heck is the 6th major pro team?

The Lynx? Is there any excuse they won’t grab?

CL82

Reaction Score
I actually find the Diaco era humorous. No anger - but I do get annoyed by the Herbst apologists. She signed off on two Bob Diaco contracts and wants to blame the stadium. I mean come on.
Tough to find much fault in the first Bob Diaco signing. He was the hot choice available at the time part of the resurgence of the Notre Dame program and the Broyles award winner.

You pull the trigger on that gate 10 times out of 10. It was only after he was hired by UConn that the Peter principle raised its ugly head.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Randy is so proud of being “old school” he would rather die on his cross than accept the fact dying on your cross went out of style 2000 years ago. Poor choice of words for today probably.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tough to find much fault in the first Bob Diaco signing. He was the hot choice available at the time part of the resurgence of the Notre Dame program and the Broyles award winner.

You pull the trigger on that gate 10 times out of 10. It was only after he was hired by UConn that the Peter principle raised its ugly head.

Sure if they weren’t allowed to meet the candidates he is a solid hire.

His lies on the t’eo situation didn’t come to light until after he was hired I believe - but his performance in the presser was worse than anything Ollie did. They should have fired him for cause for his ridiculous lies prior to being hired - he misrepresented himself as someone who could be trusted with the program.

CL82

Reaction Score
Other that in the interview process you meet him.

Sure if they weren’t allowed to meet the candidates he is a solid hire.
Good point. In an interview does he come across as a high-energy eccentric guy or his bat sheet crazy? I guess the former.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom