Some games of note tonight around the country | The Boneyard

Some games of note tonight around the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like now that conference play has started, there are exciting games every night. The AAC is obviously average at best this season, but I still think some things are in flux; OOC wins that appear uninspiring now may evolve into season-defining victories down the road, and in a league like this, where everybody's RPI is anchored by the various terrible teams in the conference, every team will have to scratch and claw their way into the dance. More than that, I think creating a positive - relatively speaking - perception of the league is important. It's fine if everybody agrees that the AAC sucks, just as long as they also realize that there are some teams that can play, and some match-ups worth watching.

Temple 64, Tulane 59 - The Green Wave (yes, that's their nickname) of Tulane are a terrible team masked by an 11-4 record. They lost by a combined 66 points to Wake, Washington, and St. Johns and are very unlikely to compete for a bid, so it would be beneficial to the league if they lose to teams like Temple. Speaking of...

Kansas 56, Baylor 55 - Kansas is not only Temple's marquee win, but also the leagues best win. Moreover, Temple is a dangerous team in my eyes; their guards are mostly the inefficient gunner sorts, but they can hit enough shots to keep them in games against top competition when you consider their defense. They're 5-0 since Jessie Morgan became eligible, so that, coupled with their blowout win over Kansas, makes them look formidable. That's a long way of saying that it's probably better if Kansas is good this year.

Virginia 61, N.C. State 51 - This was a closer game than the final margin indicates. It's promising that, just after Cincinnati went into Raleigh and tore the Pack apart, N.C. State played the #3 team in America tough on the road. N.C. State should be a middle of the road ACC team and decent win for Cincy, which has a solid resume to date with wins over them and San Diego State.

Florida 72, South Carolina 68 - The Gamecocks, fresh off a win over Iowa State, had been surprisingly competitive this year, so it was great to see Florida go on the road and start conference play with a win. I'm telling you, the Florida win will look good for us at the end of the season - they're top 25 in Kenpom (indicating that they're better than their record) and trying to integrate new pieces. They're going to be fine.

The conference might not get four bids, but I think there are four tournament-caliber teams in this conference. Those four teams - SMU, Cincinnati, UConn, and Temple - have compiled the following noteworthy OOC wins: San Diego State, N.C. State, Kansas, Michigan, Dayton, and Florida. It isn't a lot, but the better those six teams do, the better it is for the league, IMO.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@champs99and04 thats the problem. The American's best, ourselves included, all tripped out of the gate. Temple got their leading scorer just in time to become a problem for us without ours. If and when Kennedy gets eligible for SMU, (is he?), they become closer to who they were last year. Our best shot at making the tourney after our own trip ups is to run this conference but now it's looking like there will be plenty of land mines left, and the wins we get against these teams won't be as loud as the losses that offset them. We're going to have to earn the dance card this year.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 thats the problem. The American's best, ourselves included, all tripped out of the gate. Temple got their leading scorer just in time to become a problem for us without ours. If and when Kennedy gets eligible for SMU, (is he?), they become closer to who they were last year. Our best shot at making the tourney after our own trip ups is to run this conference but now it's looking like there will be plenty of land mines left, and the wins we get against these teams won't be as loud as the losses that offset them. We're going to have to earn the dance card this year.

For sure. Between eligibility (Kennedy at SMU, yes he is back now, and Morgan at Temple) and injury (pretty much our whole season) issues, it isn't a surprise that some of the top four under-performed OOC. Fortunately, we still have a chance to record another big win @ Stanford and Cincinnati plays Xavier at home in February.

Reaction Score
Nice breakdown champs, who needs ESPN when we have you? Thanks I didn't watch any last night and this was a nice summary.

Reaction Score
Florida's RPI jumped about 25 spots last night (to 85) with their win at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I think Temple is back to being Temple. For 20 years, they thrived on 6-3 to 6-6 guard types that were tough & made shots. Given the INCLUSION of Morgan & Coleman in this second semester, they are ONCE AGAIN the Owls that are tough to beat. Both their new kids & Cummings/DeCoursey impressed against us; but, we had a limited Boat.

Tulane is better than we thought. (That is good news. There was no expectation that this could be true.)
East Carolina is worse than we could think. (Just did not know ... Thought that UNC guy could coach)
Memphis? (LOVE their PF - he might be the best fundamental player in the league; they'll produce surprises)
UCF? Amazing they win some. They have the two largest loads in the conference. Some interesting FR. I can't imagine the Coach is around another year.
USF? Antigua gives me a good feel ... and I think they are going to get much better. (they beat us in 2013?)
Tulsa was not good. (saw them play UCF while I watched UConn-Florida at a bar; they were far more talented/athletic and eke'd out a win)
Houston sucks. (Sampson WILL get them better)
SMU must be said: the Larry Brown watch should start. He won't be their a decade.

So SMU, Cincinnati, Temple, UConn ... and that flotsam below. I think I'd argue that it is better than most of you want to admit. GUTHO though.

Finally, the V's. I sincerely don't think either Virginia or Villanova ever impress me. I can see both of them getting nearly all wins this year. They won't make Week 2 in March.

Reaction Score
Finally, the V's. I sincerely don't think either Virginia or Villanova ever impress me. I can see both of them getting nearly all wins this year. They won't make Week 2 in March.

I have to agree with you on UVA. They are a solid team, but if they're number 3, (IMO no. 3 should be Wisc or Zags) we're in the top 10. That was an incredibly mediocre Wolfpack team that played them tough for 37 minutes. They are gonna take a lot of lumps in the ACC. Nova, I for one am more sold on. I think this is a very good squad, much better than last year. Ochefu has developed pretty nicely, and Pinkston is in that Jeff Adrien junkyard dog mold. And of course, being Nova, they have good guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom