Some game thoughts - UCONN vs. Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some game thoughts - UCONN vs. Houston

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Lou and Pheesa are just tremendous.

Each season, fans fret about losing two All-Americans, and how will UConn survive the following year. And each year Geno puts out a really, really good team. But, once we lose Lou and Pheesa to graduation, I think fans have a legitimate concern. Seriously.

Alright enough about next year.

Reaction Score
Houston won the 2nd half 31-30. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game.

Reaction Score
LOL. I tried to say some good things as there were some good things to come out of the game, but in the discussion by fans and even reporters leading up to the game (how would UCONN respond after the loss to Baylor), I would say it was largely a disappointing effort. And I'm one of the more positive "yay rah rah" posters on the board...

Excellent analysis, Eric. I just wanted to say that the break-away in which Christyn was surrounded by 3 Houston players and drove by all of them with some nifty dribbling at a speed available only to Williams was memorable. Also, note that Meg took her open shots (with mixed results), unlike the Baylor game. Good for her.

Reaction Score
People have been saying thatGeno should give the bench more playing time. Well, he did and now fans will need to learn to live with such results as the bench gains game experience

Other than Coombs, the bench did not get that much time. Houston's bench plays twice the minutes of Uconn's bench.

Reaction Score
People have been saying thatGeno should give the bench more playing time. Well, he did and now fans will need to learn to live with such results as the bench gains game experience
Completely agree with HuskeyNan... and in response to @VaConnFan11 ... Houston DID NOT win the 2nd half... they won the 4th quarter. Geno is working the subs as he knows he needs to, and as so many on BY have been pleading for him to do. He is giving them time and experience, that normally means the 4th quarter, with few if any starters, when the game is out of reach. AND...please don't lose sight of the fact that UCONN Won each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters... leading 70 to 45 after 3 quarters.... so did the 4th quarter really matter? It provided valuable experience minutes for the subs.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also, note that Meg took her open shots (with mixed results), unlike the Baylor game. Good for her.

Problem is her shot selection leaves a ton to be desired. Her strengths are--or should be--using her frame to get inside, moving w/out the ball, posting up, getting to the line. She wants to take 17-22 foot jumpers instead.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
so did the 4th quarter really matter? It provided valuable experience minutes for the subs.

Let's face it: Irwin, Bent, and Camara aren't improving as they are all well into their junior years. The only experience that matters is that of Coombs and ONO, the former of which looked lost again. ONO will be really good eventually, not likely this year.

Reaction Score
Let's face it: Irwin, Bent, and Camara aren't improving as they are all well into their junior years. The only experience that matters is that of Coombs and ONO, the former of which looked lost again. ONO will be really good eventually, not likely this year.
Maybe, maybe, maybe all true. 1st... is the answer to "give up" on them when there is plenty of cushion to let them try? 2nd... as @HuskyNan said, Geno is doing what many are "demanding" he do (maybe he does read BY??) ...then they criticize that he did it because the bench "lost" the 4th quarter of an out of reach game.
When I coached baseball, I routinely put my subs in the game in late innings of "out of reach" games too, knowing they weren't likely to stretch the lead. Big difference there was if they started giving up big runs, I did not have the option to put starters back in to stem the tide.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with HuskeyNan... and in response to @VaConnFan11 ... Houston DID NOT win the 2nd half... they won the 4th quarter. Geno is working the subs as he knows he needs to, and as so many on BY have been pleading for him to do. He is giving them time and experience, that normally means the 4th quarter, with few if any starters, when the game is out of reach. AND...please don't lose sight of the fact that UCONN Won each of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters... leading 70 to 45 after 3 quarters.... so did the 4th quarter really matter? It provided valuable experience minutes for the subs.

Throwing the bench players out in the 4th qtr with few if any starters do not seem like an ideal way to give them real game experience.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And this has been the norm for the past 3 seasons, so what is the big deal? (To be clear, I am agreeing with you @PAHuskeyFan.)

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Throwing the bench players out in the 4th qtr with few if any starters do not seem like an ideal way to give them real game experience.
I think I heard once or twice that they earn that during practice time. I think if they excel in practice then they might be put in the game (depending on the situation obviously) prior to "bench clearing time". And I think that this sentiment has been posted once or twice already this season. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
OK... got it... I was actually responding to the comment by @VaConnFan11 that UCONN LOST the 2nd half 31-30.
I understand that you were responding to another post, I thought that I was backing up your reply...but I guess not. I will just stop posting now..
Head bang

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe, maybe all true. 1st... is the answer to "give up" on them when there is plenty of cushion to let them try? 2nd... as @HuskyNan said, Geno is doing what many are "demanding" he do (maybe he does read BY??) ...then they criticize that he did it because the bench "lost" the 4th quarter of an out of reach game.

They'll play late in blowouts. Just don't know what that accomplishes other than giving most of the starters some needed rest.

Reaction Score
SO... pvdoggy, there are few options.
(1) Before we have a "substantial" lead, put one, two or three subs on the court with four, three or two starters...likely playing vs the opposition's starters. The probable result is that we end up with less than 5 "scorers" playing against the 5 best of the opposition. I think the result is predictable. IIRC, didn't ONO get in during 2nd quarter, and maybe Mikayla too? I'm sorry but I was distracted with "Honey-do" items during 2nd quarter and half time.
(2) Let the starters build a lead that will be hard to lose, then work the subs in one, two or three at a time... as Geno did during this game. AND, exactly what many here on BY were pleading for last season.

Reaction Score
I understand that you were responding to another post, I thought that I was backing up your reply...but I guess not. I will just stop posting now..
Head bang
OK... sorry, I read your parenthetical comment to indicate you thought I did not know you agreed. Head bang

Reaction Score
Broken record here: if he picked up the tempo both O and D, but especially D, he could move people in and out and get more people involved. If we started using more of the floor, our size disadvantage is minimized. IMO pick up no closer than the 3-point line, even half-court, pressure the ball, deny the wings, and front the posts. Get steals, open court play, and at the least push the tempo and/or pull the other team further from the hoop.
Why are we dribbling up the floor so much? Pheesa and Lou. Why aren’t we outleting the ball to CD and sprinting to fill the lanes? Just read a book about Bob Cousy. Pickup Red Auerbach’s ancient book on fast break basketball. When CD gets it in transition she makes the right play and she’s faster.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Broken record here: if he picked up the tempo both O and D, but especially D, he could move people in and out and get more people involved. If we started using more of the floor, our size disadvantage is minimized. IMO pick up no closer than the 3-point line, even half-court, pressure the ball, deny the wings, and front the posts.

Pressure defense takes energy and depth. UConn's better players are already having to expel tremendous amounts of energy defending and rebounding against bigger players. There is no backup for Crystal Dangerfield either. The starters are already playing 35 minutes a game and often look tired. There's just no way this roster can play that kind of defense.

Reaction Score
Pressure defense takes energy and depth. UConn's better players are already having to expel tremendous amounts of energy defending and rebounding against bigger players. There is no backup for Crystal Dangerfield either. The starters are already playing 35 minutes a game and often look tired. There's just no way this roster can play that kind of defense.
I hear you loud and clear!
Think of the pressure D as a way to address the 2 biggest flaws of this team- depth and size. We could work our bench into such a structure. MC is our quickest player besides CD. Every player on our roster is a HS all-American. (Right)
Got nothing to do for an hour- watch the ESPN 30 for 30, “Guru of Go” about Hank Gathers, Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount. They averaged 120 points a game. Did they have a bench? Hell no!! They were the better conditioned team. Just like Geno’s UConn team is the best conditioned team.

Reaction Score
A 20 point win over a now 6-8 Houston team - Some folks thought UCONN would come out with a "purpose" (or pick any other word) after the Baylor loss. I say no, they did not. Solid game, but aside from the 2nd quarter, Houston basically played UCONN even. I would expect that against a team like Louisville, but not against a team like Houston.

Passing and decision making was just off - 18 turnovers, and probably close to half were unforced. So many bad passes and unforced turnovers, especially by Collier, Walker and Dangerfield. Just bad decisions. It was just an ugly game, particularly shocking coming off the Baylor loss. Geno said a few great things...

One regarding the Baylor loss - something like "you can't really expect us to win every single regular season game for 10 years". He also said that usually his teams are focused on April, but with this team, he knows they are not as good as teams in the past, and he said that he basically "wants them to enjoy every moment of the season". I thought that was some great stuff and an indication his expectations are lower for this team and he needs to coax them along gently instead of other kinds of motivation.

Lou and Pheesa are just tremendous. I thought aside from some really bad passes, Walker played very quietly, but was solid. Williams seems to have hit the freshman wall and aside from a scoring outburst in the 4th quarter, was largely invisible. Danger had some great flashes and it's hard for a great player to play great for 35+ minutes. She did not play great, but was very good for the most part. ONO showed a few good things, and that's all I will say about the bench because there is nothing else good to say about them. Yes I know people are tired of the much maligned bench hence no comment.

Overall, a win. No one got injured. Not a statement game, not a recovery game, not really anything overly positive. I think Geno will be happy because he realizes expectations for this team need to be lower, and we are now getting the closer games fans craved in the past.

You brought up 2 subjects so I'll use the crack you opened: If Geno has low expectations for this year why not use it to get ONO, CW, Coombs, ready for next year with added PT. Yes Coombs played long today, ONO 4 minutes?, Coombs showed she can handled the ball pass to the post, will be a better than good PG when her shot stop being rushed. To me a person is maligned when lies are written about them. Even the Fans of other team and sports bubble heads have commented on the lack of a bench--is that a lie?
Even Geno has spoken about 3 playing on 5 --meaning both the soph and the frosh and the bench. I tend to state--5 on 15 or 12, or even 10. Point is Geno is at a disadvantage that his new guys and bench present him.\
The expectations for this team were lowered as the season began by those looking at what they saw. CW was an amazing addition, Walker a good plug for a hole left behind.
From here on out; something has to give on the 5 or 7. They have to stop relying Pheesa and KLs to save their tails. And the unmentionable has to drastically improve.

Reaction Score
I hear you loud and clear!
Think of the pressure D as a way to address the 2 biggest flaws of this team- depth and size. We could work our bench into such a structure. MC is our quickest player besides CD. Every player on our roster is a HS all-American. (Right)
Got nothing to do for an hour- watch the ESPN 30 for 30, “Guru of Go” about Hank Gathers, Paul Westhead and Loyola Marymount. They averaged 120 points a game. Did they have a bench? Hell no!! They were the better conditioned team. Just like Geno’s UConn team is the best conditioned team.
\

Coombs is getting much better, still has trouble with her shot, but it will come.
How about that? I didn't know Molly or Irwin were HS AA's? Just exactly what does it mean for a player to be a HS AA? What can they do that just really good basketball players can't do.
One comment about no bench. How many games did those with 120 points each night play? What was the level of competition? Did they play 35 to 40 to 45 minutes nearly every game for 3 seasons? Did they play with or recover from injuries (Phee, DT, KLS).
Medico's will tell you playing those minute 35 to 45 game after game is a sure plan to create injuries --short term and long term.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You need to pay closer attention to the game. There was a solid 5-7 minute stretch during the 3rd & 4th qtrs when Geno played Liv & Mikayla together with 3 starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom