Some Connecticut high school athletic directors propose plan to allow coaches to instruct students during the offseason... | The Boneyard

Some Connecticut high school athletic directors propose plan to allow coaches to instruct students during the offseason...

Reaction Score
Been out of pocket last few days.. this should be interesting to follow. Mudslinging has already begun.

>>Many state high school athletic directors are pushing for a rule change that would allow their coaches and athletes to partake in more team activities during the summer months.

The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which governs high school sports in the state, does not allow high school coaches to coach or instruct athletes who were eligible to participate in high school athletics in the previous season during the offseason and summer. Penalties for breaking this rule include fines and suspensions of varying degrees.

But the Southern Connecticut Conference, which represents 20 schools, is making a push to allow more interaction. The league formally requested that the CIAC create a subcommittee to explore the state’s rules on seasonal limitations.<<

Reaction Score
>>Hand High of Madison athletic director Craig Semple authored the original proposal, which was tweaked by the SCC’s committee before being sent to the CIAC. Semple also researched numerous other state policies for out-of-season contact, both in the school year and in the summer. He believes that New Jersey’s model, which states there are no coaching restrictions on practices between the last day of spring sports to Sept. 1, and no coaching of program players on non-school teams allowed, is a suitable policy for Connecticut to follow.

“They’re not totally abusing [the rule],” Semple said of New Jersey. “They’re being smart. Kids need time with their families, they need time to go on vacation. It’s totally optional, at the end of the day. We’re looking at something totally optional, but let the coaches do it.”<<

Reaction Score
I've noticed in our town the Girl's HS soccer team has been doing conditioning and drills down at HS all summer. Not like a few girls, like the whole team with adult instruction.

My feeling is that on some level this is probably going on already in a lot of places. It's not like when we were kids that's for sure. I love the optional but highly recommended camps they offer these days.

Reaction Score
The purpose of the rule is to allow for the 3-sport athlete. Most Coaches want their players to play year round to improve. Will they penalize those who don’t participate in off-season workouts. There’s no such thing as “voluntary practice “.

Reaction Score
Amazing how common sense and self policing always seem to take a back seat to "rules". Have as many practices as you want, as much contact with students as you/they want. The players and their families will/should police "too much and too little". Sure there will be some situations that get "out of hand by someone's definition" but it will self correct.
So I'm a coach and a young kid wants me to spend some time during the summer showing him how to throw the ball, or good technique for lifting without getting hurt or good form for running - and I have to tell him I can't 'cause of the rules! So in Ct. a young Peyton Manning could have his dad teach him how to review game film but I as a coach can't have my freshman QB over my house to show him how to do it, even if he begs me!
Yeah there are so many kids going out for football that coaches can penalize players who play baseball or basketball or track or tennis or golf instead of going to coach lead off season practices.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've noticed in our town the Girl's HS soccer team has been doing conditioning and drills down at HS all summer. Not like a few girls, like the whole team with adult instruction.

My feeling is that on some level this is probably going on already in a lot of places. It's not like when we were kids that's for sure. I love the optional but highly recommended camps they offer these days.

Yeah everyone does. They just have someone else coach them in the Nutmeg Games or whatever.

Reaction Score
Amazing how common sense and self policing always seem to take a back seat to "rules". Have as many practices as you want, as much contact with students as you/they want. The players and their families will/should police "too much and too little". Sure there will be some situations that get "out of hand by someone's definition" but it will self correct.
So I'm a coach and a young kid wants me to spend some time during the summer showing him how to throw the ball, or good technique for lifting without getting hurt or good form for running - and I have to tell him I can't 'cause of the rules! So in Ct. a young Peyton Manning could have his dad teach him how to review game film but I as a coach can't have my freshman QB over my house to show him how to do it, even if he begs me!
Yeah there are so many kids going out for football that coaches can penalize players who play baseball or basketball or track or tennis or golf instead of going to coach lead off season practices.

Well if the rules haven’t changed in the past 10 yrs or so coaches can be at the summer conditioning/lifting sessions. We had those twice a week and did them right before we went to our passing league games

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Teams have out of season practices regardless. Everybody looks the other way. Nobody cares.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Teams have out of season practices regardless. Everybody looks the other way. Nobody cares.

Nor should they care. If young players want to put the time in and work at something they care about why should the CIAC stop them?
I'd rather see young people learn more fundamentals about a sport they care about. We should all want that as it also protects against things like injuries. Not completely, but it helps

C

Chief00

This has been why CT HS sports have fallen behind.

Reaction Score
This has been why CT HS sports have fallen behind.
Not exactly Chief. FCIAC schools were ranked nationally in football just a couple of years back. New Canaan had 5 or 6 major FBS recruits last year or the year before and if I recall correctly Darien was ranked 17th nationally a couple years ago, and last year St Joe's was hands down the best team in the state, despite a loss to Greenwich. The rest of the state, the CCC and SCC, with exception of Hand has really fallen on hard times. The traditional power teams, NDWH, Xavier, Shelton, Southington, Bloomfield, Prep, Cheshire, West Haven, have not dominated the state like they used to. It's no surprise that this push for off season contact came from the SCC.

C

Chief00

Not exactly Chief. FCIAC schools were ranked nationally in football just a couple of years back. New Canaan had 5 or 6 major FBS recruits last year or the year before and if I recall correctly Darien was ranked 17th nationally a couple years ago, and last year St Joe's was hands down the best team in the state, despite a loss to Greenwich. The rest of the state, the CCC and SCC, with exception of Hand has really fallen on hard times. The traditional power teams, NDWH, Xavier, Shelton, Southington, Bloomfield, Prep, Cheshire, West Haven, have not dominated the state like they used to. It's no surprise that this push for off season contact came from the SCC.
The exception to my post is what you illustrated. Kids from very affluent families/towns have the resources to continue development over the summer. Darien, New Canaan, Greenwich, etc.
Yet, for the vast majority of kids that don’t have those resources - the kids are definitely adversely impacted by these restrictive CIAC rules.

Reaction Score
The exception to my post is what you illustrated. Kids from very affluent families/towns have the resources to continue development over the summer. Darien, New Canaan, Greenwich, etc.
Yet, for the vast majority of kids that don’t have those resources - the kids are definitely adversely impacted by these restrictive CIAC rules.
Your argument is pure BS. Amity HS in Orange and Woodbridge, Glastonbury High, and Simsbury High are actually ranked higher academically than many FCIAC schools. The area in between Hartford and New Haven is for the most part a high income area with excellent school systems and is right smack dab in the middle of SCC land. Your argument that Amity, Glastonbury, and Simsbury football teams are sub par because they are not from affluent areas and don't have the resources to field good football teams compared to FCIAC schools is ludicrous. By the same token, Weston High in Weston Connecticut is the 2nd ranked school in the state, the town of Weston is also one of the most affluent in the state per capita, and is in Fairfield County between Westport and New Canaan, yet had not had a good football team in 40 years. Xavier High was once a top football power in the state and economically is an excellent school and draws it's students from all over the state.
Look at Ansonia, those kids parents are not exactly millionaires, yet they find a way to win championships every single year. Your argument that SCC and CCC football has fallen on hard times because of disadvantaged economics is baloney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your argument is pure BS. Amity HS in Orange and Woodbridge, Glastonbury High, and Simsbury High are actually ranked higher academically than many FCIAC schools.

Who mentioned anything about academics?

Reaction Score
Academics aren't part of the resources available to students in affluent towns?

Sure but this proposal has absolutely nothing to do with academics... neither article (or anything else I’ve read) references academics resources or school/school system academics rankings.

One prong of the argument put forward talks about the ability/inability to afford private instructors/AAU programs affecting athletic development and this proposal could help in that regard for disadvantaged families.

This proposal would affect all sports - not just football.

Reaction Score
Your argument is pure BS. Amity HS in Orange and Woodbridge, Glastonbury High, and Simsbury High are actually ranked higher academically than many FCIAC schools. The area in between Hartford and New Haven is for the most part a high income area with excellent school systems and is right smack dab in the middle of SCC land. Your argument that Amity, Glastonbury, and Simsbury football teams are sub par because they are not from affluent areas and don't have the resources to field good football teams compared to FCIAC schools is ludicrous. By the same token, Weston High in Weston Connecticut is the 2nd ranked school in the state, the town of Weston is also one of the most affluent in the state per capita, and is in Fairfield County between Westport and New Canaan, yet had not had a good football team in 40 years. Xavier High was once a top football power in the state and economically is an excellent school and draws it's students from all over the state.
Look at Ansonia, those kids parents are not exactly millionaires, yet they find a way to win championships every single year. Your argument that SCC and CCC football has fallen on hard times because of disadvantaged economics is baloney.

Anyone that knows anything about Glastonbury knows that the football team doesn’t get the best athletes in the town. The best athletes opt for soccer because it’s much more popular

Reaction Score
Anyone that knows anything about Glastonbury knows that the football team doesn’t get the best athletes in the town. The best athletes opt for soccer because it’s much more popular
Oh sure, I didn't think of that. Never realized that 225lb kids who bench 315lbs would be more successful playing soccer in Glastonbury because it's more popular.

Reaction Score
Sure but this proposal has absolutely nothing to do with academics... neither article (or anything else I’ve read) references academics resources or school/school system academics rankings.

One prong of the argument put forward talks about the ability/inability to afford private instructors/AAU programs affecting athletic development and this proposal could help in that regard for disadvantaged families.

This proposal would affect all sports - not just football.
Nothing to do with academics at all? Are you sure? What about coaches having a study group that teaches X's and O's, the spread, and defensive schemes, in a classroom setting during the off season? Btw I never realized there were disadvantaged families within the SCC boundaries that sent their kids to Xavier, NDWH, and Fairfield Prep to play football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh sure, I didn't think of that. Never realized that 225lb kids who bench 315lbs would be more successful playing soccer in Glastonbury because it's more popular.

Skill players at 225 in Glastonbury? Lol that’s great. In case you didn’t know Glastonbury don’t have many kids if any outside of OL/DL that weigh 225. That’s a gigantic team they got there lol

Attachments

• F4FDB062-9ED8-4CD3-9FB5-E090EE61D79A.png
    F4FDB062-9ED8-4CD3-9FB5-E090EE61D79A.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 35
Reaction Score
Skill players at 225 in Glastonbury? Lol that’s great. In case you didn’t know Glastonbury don’t have many kids if any outside of OL/DL that weigh 225. That’s a gigantic team they got there lol
I counted 20 kids who on last year's team who were 200lbs or heavier, and 13 who were listed 220 or heavier. Six of those were listed at positions other than OL or DL. Many listed on the OL or DL didn't have their weights listed. This is a team that went 5-5 in the CCC.

Reaction Score
Glastonbury and Simsbury aren't affluent? Both have median family incomes higher than West Hartford and Farmington, and not far behind Avon.

:confused::confused:

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with academics at all? Are you sure? What about coaches having a study group that teaches X's and O's, the spread, and defensive schemes, in a classroom setting during the off season? Btw I never realized there were disadvantaged families within the SCC boundaries that sent their kids to Xavier, NDWH, and Fairfield Prep to play football.

Only in your obtuse world can someone equate film study to a school’s academic rankings in the state.

You keep naming and cherrypicking high end towns/schools regarding family economics - one can go to the opposite end of the spectrum in the “SCC boundaries” and note Hillhouse, Wilbur Cross, West Haven and Hamden.

There is more to the State’s athletic profile than the FCIAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom