Solution to depth at guard? | The Boneyard

Solution to depth at guard?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This discussion got lost in the Patterson thread. Trey is graduating early and will be on the Villanova’s active roster in a couple weeks when the second semester starts. This is essentially a free year for him at the college level due to covid. The high school schedules in the north are all shortened and there’s not much national travel, all the major tournaments are cancelled so it doesn’t really make sense for the top kids to stick around high school. Media isn’t even allowed into some of these games so they’re getting no exposure either.

What makes this interesting for us in my opinion is that we just had a scholarship open up. Given our shallow guard depth we could really use one of our 2021 guards right now. In fact either one would likely be our best offensive option at guard immediately. The only real question is can they graduate in 2 weeks. All of these high schools have online classes now you would think the school would work with them given the circumstances no? I think this is a interesting option for us to take a look at.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Not a crazy idea. Hell, Sool is already our 3rd best recruiter. Get him on campus already.
I don’t think it’s a crazy idea either. With covid there’s a lot more flexibility with this type of stuff.

Reaction Score
it's a fine idea but it seems like this would have had to been in the works since the school year started to ensure they were taking extra credits etc. i doubt nova called up trey last month and asked him to graduate a semester early.

unfortunately the brown transfer happened right before the second semester started leaving barely any time to figure this out

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Unless Trevor Keels is walking through the door, I cant imagine which available 2021 guard recruit would be an upgrade. Our boy Rahsool is still a revolving door at the high school level, most 2021 kids aren't ready to be major contributors to any team with serious aspirations

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
it's a fine idea but it seems like this would have had to been in the works since the school year started to ensure they were taking extra credits etc. i doubt nova called up trey last month and asked him to graduate a semester early.

unfortunately the brown transfer happened right before the semester ended leaving barely any time to figure this out

Where in that article does it mention Patterson took extra credits to make this happen and what makes you sure that's a pre-requisite? This is a new trend. I haven't read one announcement that said the player made it happen by taking extra credits based on some plan that's been in the "works" for a while.

Geno got Saylor Farfegnugen on campus a half year early today and his quote was:

"I know Saylor's really excited. This is an unprecedented event for us for a lot of reasons, but this is an unprecedented year," coach Geno Auriemma said. "Opportunities have presented themselves that weren't available for the past. I'm excited for Saylor and her family that they wanted to take advantage of this opportunity and I can't wait to coach her in practice and have her as part of the team."

And this is what Bristol reported on the nine young ladies in the WBB game who are 21' recruits that have joined their college team early. Not one mention of doubling up on credits.

"At least three other top 25 teams have added 2021 recruits at midseason: UCLA with guard Dominique Darius (ranked No. 26 by HoopGurlz), Mississippi State with guard KN'isha Godfrey (ranked No. 40) and Arizona with guard Madison Conner (ranked No. 71). Darius has competed in two games, Godfrey has yet to play and Conner is joining the Wildcats this weekend. In all, at least nine prep players have joined women's teams in the Power Five leagues and the Big East"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think this is feasible. Once a scholarship is given to a player at the beginning of the year, it counts towards your total scholarship count for the whole year. At least that's how it used to be. Maybe that rule has recently changed.
This would work if we started the year with an open scholarship, or if the player pays their own way for a semester.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A player on the women's team just did it.

Reaction Score
Where in that article does it mention Patterson took extra credits to make this happen and what makes you sure that's a pre-requisite? This is a new trend. I haven't read one announcement that said the player made it happen by taking extra credits based on some plan that's been in the "works" for a while.
maybe you can explain to me what you did to graduate from highschool and then i'll understand where the confusion lies

"Before the school year started in September, me and my school and the Villanova coaching staff came up with a back up plan just in case the season was cancelled or something like that. It was an opportunity that was still there, so I decided to go forward with it."

Patterson said he only needed to take two English courses during the fall semester in order to be eligible to graduate.

idk how or why he only needed to take 2 classes his fall semester to graduate but my guess is he had either taken extra credits throughout his first 3 years or maybe he was in his 5th year so this was almost like a reclass. but i do know i couldnt suddenly decide over winter break my senior year that i didnt want to go back to school unless i was dropping out

Last edited:
Reaction Score
maybe you can explain to me what you did to graduate from highschool and then i'll understand where the confusion lies

"Before the school year started in September, me and my school and the Villanova coaching staff came up with a back up plan just in case the season was cancelled or something like that. It was an opportunity that was still there, so I decided to go forward with it."

Patterson said he only needed to take two English courses during the fall semester in order to be eligible to graduate.

idk how or why he only needed to take 2 classes his fall semester to graduate but my guess is he had either taken extra credits throughout his first 3 years or maybe he was in his 5th year so this was almost like a reclass. but i do know i couldnt suddenly decide over winter break my senior year that i didnt want to go back to school unless i was dropping out

Where I teach in Indiana students need 43 credits to graduate. Kids can take 16 credits a year. We have many students that graduate a year early. English is the class that is hard to take earlier on, but doubling up 1st semester is very doable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom