Solid win, but what needs cleaning up? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Solid win, but what needs cleaning up?

Reaction Score
Carlton needs to stop putting the ball on the floor, especially when he’s not anywhere near the rim.

Polley needs to find a way to get more shots up. The single most efficient shot we can take as a team is a Polley 3PA (provided that it’s a good look).

Vital/Gilbert, in transition, look for lob opportunities. Gilbert had Akok wide open for one and threw up a low percentage floater instead, which was effectively as good as a turnover. Vital passed up on an opportunity too.

I would like to see Akok catch the ball on the wing and use that moon bounce of a first step to get into the paint. Good things have generally happened when he has because he’s either open for a layup, or forces the defense to collapse on him.

For Adams, I hope he simply stays confident. We’ve finally seen “exhibition Adams” against good competition. We don’t need 20 from him, but just stay in control of the offense, penetrate, and knock down your open looks.
Agree with all of it but giving the ball to Bouknight in the right spot will be our most efficient shot.

Reaction Score
Vital still needs to stop playing hero ball. The shot he took that BA rebounded and scored in the final minutes was a losing play. Vital was bailed out by a great effort and we were fortunate.

Reaction Score
Vital still needs to stop playing hero ball. The shot he took that BA rebounded and scored in the final minutes was a losing play. Vital was bailed out by a great effort and we were fortunate.

Just pointing out that there were 4 seconds on the shot clock at that point. It's not like he walked down the court and jacked the shot up.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of it but giving the ball to Bouknight in the right spot will be our most efficient shot.
I hope you're right. I always find it hard to project how a freshman will do as a pure shooter.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Dude just can’t elevate.

Turnovers were rough, and outlet passing sketchy.

Brendan Adams plays within himself —love CV but it’s crazy how much Adams and Vital are polar opposites on the floor.
Brendan fits Hurley’s style of play - a big guard who can drive to the basket, stop and pop or hit the three. As he gets more comfortable he’ll be taking a lot of foul shots.

CV would be more comfortable in a different system but has been getting better at adapting what coach wants. The kid has a heart of a lion. He finally is getting others to rebound. Team rebounding is definitely on an upward trajectory.

Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing Vital threw a couple beautiful three quarter court passes (including a couple with his left hand) that created easy opportunities off the break. He's always going to have a headscratcher or two but I thought the kid was an immense presence last night.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
17 turnovers is too many, and shooting 12-21 from the free throw line are the obvious things. Another observation is that it looked to me like Josh Carlton was either standing in mud or had weights around his ankles; he needs to be more agile. I can't figure out if he can't dunk or just doesn't want to but there are time when he clearly needs to dunk the ball.
I have to laugh on how the immediate focus is on the things that need development. There were so many positives, and the progress of most of the roster is impressive. The depth that we are showing is exciting for the future. The season isn't going to be perfect, but will be fun to watch. Enjoy the moment!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing Vital threw a couple beautiful three quarter court passes (including a couple with his left hand) that created easy opportunities off the break. He's always going to have a headscratcher or two but I thought the kid was an immense presence last night.

Like the one where he went up for a layup and got it stuffed like a Turkey (timely), instead of dropping it to a wide open trailing Akok? That was brutal, and during winning time. Can't have that.

I've accepted he's gonna always be a chucker and throw up a few bad shots, make a few head down plays...but one thing he's gotta NOT do is do these during crunch time.

Reaction Score
Defense is overcoming bad free throw shooting -how much longer will we get away with this?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Defense is overcoming bad free throw shooting -how much longer will we get away with this?

hopefully until we start hitting free throws? Is what it is, Hurley can't go out there and make em for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom