Solid win, but what needs cleaning up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Solid win, but what needs cleaning up?

Reaction Score
Carlton is just not athletic. He hesitates down low. There was one play when he tried to dribble after getting the rebound and he was under the rim. Most big guys would have just went right up and dunked it.

We need a dominant guy like Cliff to set the tone

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He has no explosion. He's never had explosion.

I almost feel like he put on too much weight. But it's premature to make that call.

Ya, I think with Carlton that's who he is. Otherwise he'd be a top 20 recruit. He's really solid, his fluidity and his offense has improved but he's always had skill ... he's just limited in athleticism. The good thing is, he's bodying people and rebounding the way he needs to, at least at times. Not consistently yet to be a dominant big, but he's doing it enough to be solid.

Reaction Score
Things that need to change:

Turnovers, especially those when we are on runs and instead of taking the lead from 8 to 10 or 11 or 5 to 8 or 9 we make a play too fast and too pretty don't even get a shot and suddenly it's 4 again. Relax and get a good shot or get to the FT line the other team is desperate at these points.

TO's that both Adams and Vital had when we were trying to cement the game. Adams fling up court after they scored not using the pick instead getting doubled at mid court and drilling off his foot. CV trying to throw a lob and bobbling it by rushing it to a wide open carlton. Buffalo went from being out of the game to back in it or having a chance still. Those need to stop. Relax gus you're in the lead!

Quit getting beat off the dribble, space yourself to be able to cut off or slow down the first step. We lost the St Joes game because of this and that guy Johnson kept Buff in it because of that. Guard people to the rim please as much as possible. And Josh when you help please get our hands out to the side to deflect passes. Twice easy lay ups or dunks as they flipped it by him.

Make FT's please!

Just keep playing hard, love the passion the last 2 and as I said before if they play like this all the time and know they have to, they could have a solid year.

Reaction Score
Everything has been mentioned but the slow starts need to be fixed. Survived that against Buffalo and Florida (though I wouldn't expect that to happen again) but good teams are going to put us in a hole early if that keeps up

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was fully expecting FT shooting to do us in tonight. Oddly enough that was a huge part of our win vs Florida.

Can’t be so sloppy

Can’t have 3 guys following the ball leaving shooters wide open vs X. They won’t shoot like crap like Buffalo did.

I’d love to not have 2 points at the first TV timeout.

Reaction Score
Gilbert had Akok open for a Brimah lob dunk and tried a tear drop 4 footer that missed, Polley tried the lob to Akok and short armed the pass. I'd love to see 3-4 of these lobs a game because Akok will convert. A Daniel Hamilton dribble penetration with a teardrop lob pass when a defender helps, can't be that hard to master. I expect to see this more.

Buffalo went into the game shooting 52% from the line as a team and we were 20% higher. That advantage didn't work out the way I thought it would.

Reaction Score
Carlton needs to stop putting the ball on the floor, especially when he’s not anywhere near the rim.

Polley needs to find a way to get more shots up. The single most efficient shot we can take as a team is a Polley 3PA (provided that it’s a good look).

Vital/Gilbert, in transition, look for lob opportunities. Gilbert had Akok wide open for one and threw up a low percentage floater instead, which was effectively as good as a turnover. Vital passed up on an opportunity too.

I would like to see Akok catch the ball on the wing and use that moon bounce of a first step to get into the paint. Good things have generally happened when he has because he’s either open for a layup, or forces the defense to collapse on him.

For Adams, I hope he simply stays confident. We’ve finally seen “exhibition Adams” against good competition. We don’t need 20 from him, but just stay in control of the offense, penetrate, and knock down your open looks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Re: Carlton.

Don't like the team forcing the ball to him early. I mentioned in another thread last night that Carlton's 100% isn't as good as the defense's 100%. In the beginning of games he looks slow and overwhelmed when the double teams come to him.

Carlton doesn't seem to fade as much as other's as the game goes on. When other's have dropped down a bit, Carlton seems more effective.

I'd like to see some numbers on Carlton shooting % and turnover numbers for first half vice second half.

When Whaley came in for Carlton in the first half, the lineup of Whaley, Akok and Polley was very long and active switching, hedging, rebounding and running.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Re: Carlton.

Don't like the team forcing the ball to him early. I mentioned in another thread last night that Carlton's 100% isn't as good as the defense's 100%. In the beginning of games he looks slow and overwhelmed when the double teams come to him.

Carlton doesn't seem to fade as much as other's as the game goes on. When other's have dropped down a bit, Carlton seems more effective.

I'd like to see some numbers on Carlton shooting % and turnover numbers for first half vice second half.

When Whaley came in for Carlton in the first half, the lineup of Whaley, Akok and Polley was very long and active switching, hedging, rebounding and running.
He’s rocking a solid (jk) 0.8:3.5 assist:TO ratio right now. I’d like to see us use him in the high pick and roll. However, he’s not a threat to shoot so I’m not sure if thatd be effective. He gets doubled almost every time downlow so him being able to find open teams will make our offense much better

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert had Akok open for a Brimah lob dunk and tried a tear drop 4 footer that missed, Polley tried the lob to Akok and short armed the pass. I'd love to see 3-4 of these lobs a game because Akok will convert. A Daniel Hamilton dribble penetration with a teardrop lob pass when a defender helps, can't be that hard to master. I expect to see this more.

If we had Hamilton, Akok would have 6 alleyoop finishes per game. We don't have the best passers in that regard. Gilbert can certainly dish, but his over the top passes (and floaters) aren't his strength.

As Gaffney gets more comfortable, we can exploit that. Also interested in BA's potential there

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Carlton needs to stop putting the ball on the floor, especially when he’s not anywhere near the rim.

Polley needs to find a way to get more shots up. The single most efficient shot we can take as a team is a Polley 3PA (provided that it’s a good look).

Vital/Gilbert, in transition, look for lob opportunities. Gilbert had Akok wide open for one and threw up a low percentage floater instead, which was effectively as good as a turnover. Vital passed up on an opportunity too.

I would like to see Akok catch the ball on the wing and use that moon bounce of a first step to get into the paint. Good things have generally happened when he has because he’s either open for a layup, or forces the defense to collapse on him.

For Adams, I hope he simply stays confident. We’ve finally seen “exhibition Adams” against good competition. We don’t need 20 from him, but just stay in control of the offense, penetrate, and knock down your open looks.

This translates as we need to find a way to get Polley more 3pters. He can't create his own, so it's up to everyone else.

I don't know if he can come off screens and turn/pop. I would guess not, as quickness isn't his forte. That means more designed plays to leave him open on the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This translates as we need to find a way to get Polley more 3pters. He can't create his own, so it's up to everyone else.

I don't know if he can come off screens and turn/pop. I would guess not, as quickness isn't his forte.

That means more designed plays to leave him open on the perimeter.
Yeah it'll definitely take creativity on Hurley's part, and some aggressiveness from Polley too, which isn't his forte. He's hit some shots this year that suggest he can come off a screen and shoot, the issue I envision is that he's a travel risk in those situations too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah it'll definitely take creativity on Hurley's part, and some aggressiveness from Polley too, which isn't his forte. He's hit some shots this year that suggest he can come off a screen and shoot, the issue I envision is that he's a travel risk in those situations too.

Yeah, he hit a couple in the last few games with a guy in his face as well. Quick pull and pop types. Hadn't seen that before so it looks like his skill set has grown here.

RE Carlton, I said in another thread I was perplexed that he's power dribbling more now. He used to be better about keeping the ball up when he received it.

Also mentioned that he needs to stay connected to the restricted area. Just camp out there.

Reminds me of the movie Hitch where he's teach the fat guy to dance. "this is where you live. right here. You live right here. This is home."

The restricted area is Carlton's home.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another area for clean up is unforced TO's. Twice Vital had the ball near mid court and just lost control. Happened to a Akok once and at least one other player. Four times total players turned it over with zero pressure from the D. All live ball TO's too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
bloody video won't link for some reason. oh well not important

intlzncster

Reaction Score
1.) I feel like Hurley needs to hire someone on staff for a 2-year contract who's sole job is to yell at Carlton from the sidelines and remind him continuously that he's an enormous human. Seems to be a slow starter (like a lot of these guys) and 2H Carlton is almost way better than 1H Carlton. He's just gotta get some more confidence. He's no pro, but he's a huge problem at this level if he'd let himself be one.

Outside of P&R up top, he needs to be confined to the restricted area.

2.) Gilbert needs to plug into the season and stop playing terrible basketball. I'd love to stick up more for the kid, but he's an insanely stupid PG who makes a lot of the same mistakes offensively and at least at the moment - is a total liability defensively. If Adams continues the run he's been on and Bouknight is half as good as he was tonight - he's going to lose a ton of playing time. If Gaffney does what he did tonight and keeps gradually improving, then he might play himself out of the rotation. You guys know me, i'm not a small sample mong, but holy smokes - he's a total mess right now and i'm not sure if/how you use him until he shows he can play out of it in practice.

Gaffney showed some nice promise yesterday. But until he plays a modicum of defense, he's gonna be limited.

Speaking of Defense, Bouk needs to get his arse back on it.

If I'm another team that has done any scouting, the best strategy rn is to pack the paint with Gilbert's guy on D, and let him shoot from the outside. He seems quite willing to miss 10 times a game and I'd be more than happy to let him do so.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel like Hurley needs to hire someone on staff for a 2-year contract who's sole job is to yell at Carlton
Best job ever?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we had Hamilton, Akok would have 6 alleyoop finishes per game. We don't have the best passers in that regard. Gilbert can certainly dish, but his over the top passes (and floaters) aren't his strength.

As Gaffney gets more comfortable, we can exploit that. Also interested in BA's potential there
Good observation. Hamilton did love those lob dimes didn't he? Almost to a fault. With Akok and Bouk (UConn's version of Louis and Bouie?) we should be a dunk show if start lobbing it up there for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom