Soccer donation news | The Boneyard

Soccer donation news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like the school is announcing a gift for the new soccer facility on Monday.

After the $3M donated by a former student in 2012, I think they're already at $5M prior to whatever happens Monday.

Exciting news.

Reaction Score
What was the latest on where the new soccer facility will go? It wasnt just going to be rebuilt on Morrone was it?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know but that would be the best place for it.

Reaction Score
I have a real estate developer client (who's daughter was a UConn athlete) offer to build a new soccer & baseball complex - near the Depot campus - for UConn. He would then created a number of other fields and hold youth tournaments there (and a hotel etc). There is an Iowa based company that is funding this stuff. (there are others cropping up not far)

The University never took the second meeting.

But ... I think things are happening in our neighborhood on lots of fronts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The soccer and baseball facilities need to be and will be on the main campus.

There's no particular need for youth fields out there.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There's no particular need for youth fields out there.

My guess is Pudge is talking about a destination youth complex, not just a bunch of fields to be used by teams in the area. If it were successful, it would potentially be an asset to UConn.

In any given month I have a 1/2 dozen students missing up to a week of school for tournaments throughout New England, and in many other states. Most of these destination sites also offer very successful, and lucrative summer camps.

In a perfect world, all games would be played on campus, but a complex benefiting the team, school, and community would be available too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is Pudge is talking about a destination youth complex, not just a bunch of fields to be used by teams in the area. If it were successful, it would potentially be an asset to UConn.

In any given month I have a 1/2 dozen students missing up to a week of school for tournaments throughout New England, and in many other states. Most of these destination sites also offer very successful, and lucrative summer camps.

In a perfect world, all games would be played on campus, but a complex benefiting the team, school, and community would be available too.

I am.

There's one being developed today in Vineland, NJ - near Atlantic City.

About 20 baseball fields & 20 soccer. Withh Hotels & Themed Waterpark. I don't know what the UConn plan was that he proposed.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am.

There's one being developed today in Vineland, NJ - near Atlantic City.

About 20 baseball fields & 20 soccer. Withh Hotels & Themed Waterpark. I don't know what the UConn plan was that he proposed.

If it didn't include something in Storrs, I can see why they'd pass on the offer. If it did, I don't see why they'd not take a second meeting.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Depot campus is spoken for. Land needed to accommodate main campus build out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think it would have any bearing on UConn, but I know what he was talking about.

There are just lots of issues here.

There's just no need for it in that area - there are already area fields that have been allowed to grow over for lack of demand.

Those two facilities simply have to be on campus.

There's no reason for UConn to go in with a developer here. The soccer facility is basically building itself with donations.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Friends of Soccer continue to do amazing fundraising.

Reaction Score
I thought the plan was to put the soccer facility on the site of the current UConn football practice fields. And put the football practice fields out the back door of the Shenk on the current site of Morrone.

But as you all well know, I have been wrong before.

Also the announcements could be about the basketball facility and the new hockey barn and not involve soccer at all.

Reaction Score

Also the announcements could be about the basketball facility and the new hockey barn and not involve soccer at all.

UConnClubOct 10, 7:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
Stay tuned to the @UConnClub for two major announcements coming up this week! pic.twitter.com/33qTJciiMh

2.jpg

Reaction Score
I thought the plan was to put the soccer facility on the site of the current UConn football practice fields. And put the football practice fields out the back door of the Shenk on the current site of Morrone.

That was the original plan so there would be enough room to enlarge Freitas...but the plan for Freitas has changed now...the new plan is to build a entirely new facility for hockey (200,000 GSF). The plan to move the football practice field behind Schenkman is still on as well.

Reaction Score
Posted elsewhere; but, I was under the impression based on a prior 'master plan' the following juggling act would take place:
  • New Softball stadium moved to space between basketball center and track
  • Baseball field enlarged in current location
  • New soccer stadium built at corner of Alumni Dr and Stadium Rd (Jim Calhoun Way) where soccer practice field (old field hckey field) and softball field are
  • Soccer practice fields moved to Hilltop where football practice fields are
  • Football practice fields moved behind football center where current soccer game and practice fields are
  • New hockey arena TBD

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They haven't commissioned architects yet, I gather... no drawings?

How about capacity - I haven't seen that mentioned, which is odd.

Just wondering.

Reaction Score
I'm an architect. I'll design it for half the cost of any other proposal. It's just that it will take me six years from my little home office.:eek:

Reaction Score
Posted elsewhere; but, I was under the impression based on a prior 'master plan' the following juggling act would take place:
  • New Softball stadium moved to space between basketball center and track
  • Baseball field enlarged in current location
  • New soccer stadium built at corner of Alumni Dr and Stadium Rd (Jim Calhoun Way) where soccer practice field (old field hckey field) and softball field are
  • Soccer practice fields moved to Hilltop where football practice fields are
  • Football practice fields moved behind football center where current soccer game and practice fields are
  • New hockey arena TBD

Conehead,
Your list might be a bit out of date. On page seven of the linked presentation it appears that the softball stadium will stay more or less where it is, but will be reoriented. The baseball stadium is as in your list. The soccer stadium stays where it is. Practice fields appear to stay where they are. New hockey arena is on the current site of the Mansfield Apartments.
Linked is apparently the current iteration of the new master plan
http://paes.uconn.edu/Public_Next_Generations_CT_Outreach_Pres_9-18-2014.pdf
ETSA

Reaction Score
Conehead,
Your list might be a bit out of date. On page seven of the linked presentation it appears that the softball stadium will stay more or less where it is, but will be reoriented. The baseball stadium is as in your list. The soccer stadium stays where it is. Practice fields appear to stay where they are. New hockey arena is on the current site of the Mansfield Apartments.
Linked is apparently the current iteration of the new master plan
http://paes.uconn.edu/Public_Next_Generations_CT_Outreach_Pres_9-18-2014.pdf
ETSA

Thanks. I saw the building in yellow at Mansfield Apartments and was wondering what that was. Nice, visible location; but, parking maybe an issue as it is a hike from any of the current campus parking structures and that's 4K to 6K fans that have to cross a busy intersection on game nights. Also, I am sure Mansfield is thrilled about having their town offices and high school basically surrounded by UConn. Reminds me of Freeport HS in Maine, which is now basically surrounded by LL Bean. It would not surprise me if the town of Mansfield fights this location.

I have said it before, I would prefer a basketball/hockey combo arena on-campus that addresses both the need for a new hockey arena and upgrades to Gampel. BU's Agganis Arena, which holds 6,500 for hockey, comes to mind. Just add a second tier for basketball and other events that can be opened as needed for a max capacity of around 12K. Build it where Gampel is today (though I think the swimming pool is an issue as it overlaps a corner) and have the teams play in Hartford for two years Hartford or as a centerpiece of the Storrs Center entertainment district.

Now swapping locations of the soccer and football practice facilities is a surprise as I here there was a strong push to have the football practice fields adjacent to the Shenkman Center.

Also, notice some other items on that map? Looks like Arjona will be replaced. West Campus and the Grad apartments are also gone. Additions to the Fieldhouse, Student Union, and Shenkman (maybe soccer offices & lockers?). A lot of student parking gets wipes out with new residences on the hill behind McMahon and new buildings between South and EO Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom