SoCal Folks - How are you preparing for the great Tropical Storm of 2023? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SoCal Folks - How are you preparing for the great Tropical Storm of 2023?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I gotta ask, who'd you piss off to get sent out there?

Palmdale, Lancaster, Mojave. Lots of aerospace and aviation out there. Crappy location but some nest stuff going on out there.

To your point I was out there for work temporsrily to backfill for an employee who left to take another position and my company was having a hard time finding a permanent, suitable replacement.

Reaction Score
Rain in So Cal is different than rain in CT. Much quicker elevation changes and different soil for absorption or runoff.
That concept never really stuck with me until I visited the Phoenix area during monsoon season.

I remember people were freaking out over a half inch of rain in the forecast...thought the concern was totally unnecessary, but I never considered the impermeability of the soil. Roads flooded in a flash. Pretty surreal experience to see for the first time, almost reminded me of the flash floods when I was in the Philippines.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
That concept never really stuck with me until I visited the Phoenix area during monsoon season.

I remember people were freaking out over a half inch of rain in the forecast...thought the concern was totally unnecessary, but I never considered the impermeability of the soil. Roads flooded in a flash. Pretty surreal experience to see for the first time, almost reminded me of the flash floods when I was in the Philippines.
The other part is rain 100 miles away can collect and come out through one spot hours later. It makes hiking in desert canyons a throw of the dice. Big boulders roll fast in some of these events.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Moved my daughter in to her apartment @ CSU-Long Beach over the weekend. Initially LBC was considered a prime storm target, the heavy stuff shifted eastward toward Vegas so we only experienced heavy rain, and that didn't begin until Sunday. We drove back to the Bay just before things began to get nasty for SoCal. Another fun fact we received cell notification of an 5.1 earthquake (epicenter somewhere in Ventura Cty) as we were on I-5 N just outside of Grapevine. Someone mentioned the Lancaster/Palmdale exit off of I-5. We pulled off of that exit around 1:30 or so for gas. Blessed to have moved my daughter in and set her up and to have made it home safely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Phoenix has a monsoon season?
Yup...it's pretty wild...visiting a friend years ago...torrential downpour for 15-30 min...golf course behind his house was under 4 ft of water....ground is clay so nothing absorbs...just runs off

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This might be a good time to remind everyone that UConn is the safest place in the country. We should make it part of our recruiting.

Reaction Score
My currwnt project is south of SD on the Bay. We prepped as best we could and had moderate winds along with 2" of rain. No damage to the tower cranes and some moderately muddied areas onsite. All and all a normal type storm, mainly because the storm traveled east of the SD area.

Reaction Score
My currwnt project is south of SD on the Bay. We prepped as best we could and had moderate winds along with 2" of rain. No damage to the tower cranes and some moderately muddied areas onsite. All and all a normal type storm, mainly because the storm traveled east of the SD area.
Glad all is ok...but just curious (other than the time of year) how this storm is any different than a winter storm that dumps 3-6 ft of snow in Mammoth...those storms have a ton of moisture

Reaction Score
Glad all is ok...but just curious (other than the time of year) how this storm is any different than a winter storm that dumps 3-6 ft of snow in Mammoth...those storms have a ton of moisture
I think that most of those storms come in from the northwest (NE Pacific)

Reaction Score
Yup...it's pretty wild...visiting a friend years ago...torrential downpour for 15-30 min...golf course behind his house was under 4 ft of water....ground is clay so nothing absorbs...just runs off
That was probably just a one off occurrence since Phoenix gets an annual average of 8 inches of rain and the wettest month is March with just over an inch. That's like one day of half way decent rain around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom