So who's staying up for the Stanford game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who's staying up for the Stanford game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Chinney goes down for a 2nd time in game. Not sure what happened as ESPN goes to a commercial.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If SC wants to pull off the upset, they're gonna need a bunch more those threes, especially with their FT issues.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford up 49-44 with 13.10 left.
Chiney back in game after banging knee with SC player.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not having a true post player is what is hurting South Carolina! If they had just one athletic post it would help them out so much.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford up 53-46 with 11.11 left. Nneka has 26 pts but also has 3 fouls.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
South Carolina settles for so many bad shots early in the shot clock. A little more discipline and patience and they could actually be able to pull this off. As is, I just doubt it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One thing Stanford will have over Duke: Nneka will be the best player on the floor by a good bit.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford up 59-48 just over 8 minutes left.
Stanford really riding the back of Nneka.

Nice flop by Ogwumike. lol

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There was a lot of talk about Griner vs Nneka vs EDD. Griner is #1, Nneka is #2, and EDD is #3 this season. EDD has the most diverse offensive game, but no one impacts defense like Griner. Meanwhile, Nneka is kind of in between both in terms of diversity of offensive game and defensive impact.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gotta respect this effort by Nneka, but there's an obvious question: what happens to Stanford next year without her?

I'm sure Stanford fans would rather just focus on however many games she has left and not worry about that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Conversely to how the Baylor score belies how uncompetitive that game was, the final score here will belie how competitive it was for much of it.

Nneka with a great performance: 39-10 her final numbers.

Reaction Score
Very good effort by the Gamecocks. They were in this game for about 35 minutes. But the O sisters were way too much for their interior. Nneka is an incredible player who has improved every single year she's been at the farm. She's got a great pro future ahead of her!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm recording it on the DVR and will be watching it earlier tonight. That's how it works, right?

Yeah, that's what I did. USC kept it surprisingly close for a while, kept looking like Stanford would pull away and USC would respond. Then they didn't and it slipped away. Congrats Cardinal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Alex that Griner is #1, but Nneka is #1a. Elena is clearly 3rd.

Nneka will be the best player not to win the NPOY since Maya two years ago. And Maya did win the Wade Trophy that season.

Next year for Stanford might be like UConn this year--learning to play without Maya--except that they do not have a KML coming in. Chiney, who is already very good, will work hard and improve. I don't know if she can be the offensive force that Nneka has become. We'll see.

I think the Cardinal drop off next year, but I'm not sure I see more than 3 or 4 teams ahead of them--Baylor, UConn, Duke, and maybe Maryland. Possibly ND, if Skylar stays and Loyd is a star.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I agree with Alex that Griner is #1, but Nneka is #1a. Elena is clearly 3rd.

Nneka will be the best player not to win the NPOY since Maya two years ago. And Maya did win the Wade Trophy that season.

Next year for Stanford might be like UConn this year--learning to play without Maya--except that they do not have a KML coming in. Chiney, who is already very good, will work hard and improve. I don't know if she can be the offensive force that Nneka has become. We'll see.

I think the Cardinal drop off next year, but I'm not sure I see more than 3 or 4 teams ahead of them--Baylor, UConn, Duke, and maybe Maryland. Possibly ND, if Skylar stays and Loyd is a star.
It's very difficult to see how they replace Nneka's scoring next year. She is not just their go to player she is practically their entire offense

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's very difficult to see how they replace Nneka's scoring next year. She is not just their go to player she is practically their entire offense
Could well be. I think the other players defer to her but are capable of more. The question is how much?

Reaction Score

But doesn't losing Maya, er Nneka, make their offense more diverse? :)

Reaction Score
Key play with about 8 to go: not only did Nneka flop, but she was inside the restricted area. That would've put her on the bench with 4 fouls.

It was very interesting - the game was stuck between a 3-to-7 pt Stanford lead for about 15 minutes. Rarely do you see that.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
But doesn't losing Maya, er Nneka, make their offense more diverse? :)
By definition yes. I guess I'm thinking it will be much more limited because they don't appear to have anyone who can come close to replacing her.

Reaction Score

last night she was, but not always. We went to her because they couldn't stop her and Chiney is hobbled with the knee injury. :( We have balanced scoring in early games, which will need vs. Duke.

Reaction Score
By definition yes. I guess I'm thinking it will be much more limited because they don't appear to have anyone who can come close to replacing her.

we'll have a guard oriented offense with Camp and Green back, and Ruef at the 3. Tinkle will be 5, with Chiney at the 4. I think we'll be okay, but obviously a huge void losing Nneka. Tara adjusted pretty well losing Pohlen and Pedersen (and Appel and Candice before that).

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Cardfan - Just read that Pedersen was released by her Euro team. Any news out there on it?

Reaction Score
we'll have a guard oriented offense with Camp and Green back, and Ruef at the 3. Tinkle will be 5, with Chiney at the 4. I think we'll be okay, but obviously a huge void losing Nneka. Tara adjusted pretty well losing Pohlen and Pedersen (and Appel and Candice before that).

Do you know who are Stanford's target recruits for 2013? I really haven't heard much. I think they need a strong 2013 and 2014 class to contend in the future. And, any info on the two younger O sisters? I assume they are Stanford's to lose in 2014 and 2015. I know the youngest O (Erica) is more of a guard which should be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom