So Who's # 2? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So Who's # 2?

So Who's # 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I'm casting my sentimental vote for the Missouri Tigers. They won't be taken lightly in the SEC.

Welcome, Bliss! Can't recall seeing you around before, and always great to get a new fanbase, and thus new expertise, on the Yard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not really out on a limb for me. Anybody that keeps a close eye on SEC WBB knows that Missouri will be one of the top 4 or 5 SEC teams this season... Cunningham will be 1st team All-SEC.. they return the ROY of the year in Amber Smith. Jordan Frericks returns and she will probably be all-conf and they get Cierra Porter back who will almost definitely be all-conf... they have talent and Pingeton is a good coach teaching a ball movement based offense..

People think the SEC will be SC/MissState/Tenn.. but Missouri will definitely have a lot to say about it. I'm just glad our game versus them will be in Columbia, South Carolina.... SC will definitely be looking for revenge after last year's upset and the fans will be there to welcome them.
I certainly agree that the Tigers will be good this year, but the #2 team in the nation seems to be a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
I'm casting my sentimental vote for the Missouri Tigers. They won't be taken lightly in the SEC.

1 Kelsey Winfrey 5-9 G Fr. Lebanon, Mo. / Lebanon
2 Jordan Roundtree 5-9 G So. St. Louis, Mo. / Kirkwood
3 Sophie Cunningham 6-1 G Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
4 Bri Porter 6-3 F R-Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
5 Lauren Aldridge 5-7 G R-Jr. Marshfield, Mo. / Marshfield Kansas
10 Nadia Green 5-10 G Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
12 Elle Brown 5-11 G Fr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
13 Hannah Schuchts 6-2 F R-So. Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay
20 Kayla McDowell 6-2 F R-Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio / Mason
21 Cierra Porter 6-4 F Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
22 Jordan Frericks 6-1 F R-Sr. Quincy, Ill. / Quincy Notre Dame
23 Amber Smith 5-11 G So. Shreveport, La. / Loyola College Prep
24 Jordan Chavis 5-7 G So. Lexington, N.C. / Central Davidson
34 Emmanuelle Tahane 6-1 F Fr. Bondy, France / Marcelin Berthelot
]
I almost wrote: As the man from Missouri (miszura) said; Show Me!\
But you did. Pretty fair amount of height on the team--is that backed up with talent??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I went out on a limb and voted for UCLA.

3874326947_c9c3d0d648.jpg

Before Cooper and DeShields left. Tennessee probably would be #2. Still has a talented team. Just a bit younger though.

Maybe #2 in the SEC, maybe :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
All the teams listed lost significant players either through graduation or transfers!
MissSt and UCLA may have brought back the most pieces to their puzzles.
With TX, if Holmes gets back relatively soon from her suspension they can make a run!
UCONN may have to be both 1 and 1a for awhile!

Interesting concept--Uconn, 1 and 1a--that tickles me.

Reaction Score
I was looking for the category: there is no number 2. (At least if UConn fulfills its well-deserved hype).
You present two thoughts for me---the second first: Do you think Uconn may not fulfill it's destiny?
(yes this nit did pic). The first: My brain see's 300 plus plus schools with no ranking/standing at all.
I have read something akin to that often---there is Uconn's WBB program, and all others.

Reaction Score
I’m going out on the limb a little bit by picking Texas as #2. Karen Aston has been engaged in a slow but steady resurrection of the Longhorns to their former greatness. This could well be the year that Texas finally overtakes Baylor for the top spot in the Big 12.

Baylor lost 4 key players from last year’s team with the graduation of talented g/w’s Davis, Jones & Prince and the transfer of center Mompremier. Kalani Brown is a star and Wallace is very capable, if she can get out of Kim’s doghouse. But Cox & Chou are going to have to make serious sophomore leaps for Baylor to rule the Big 12 again this year, and Baylor’s OOC schedule full of cupcakes won’t help very much.

As for TX, they may have the best backcourt in the nation, not playing in Storrs, CT, with senior guards Atkins & McCarty. Assuming that Holmes comes off her suspension in December ready to play, she could be an AA. While center Kelsey Lang graduated, transfer Jatarie White from SC is ready to step right in. Add in a very talented group of freshmen as well as a number of capable reserves and this team could end up in Columbus, OH in April for a second meeting with the Huskies.

The 1st meeting of course will be in Austin, TX on January 15. TX WBB has not been a big draw in recent years, but I would expect a packed house when the “circus” comes to town lead by its illustrious ringmaster, Geno Auriemma. This game will be a great yardstick for how far the Longhorns have come, and whether they can hang with the greatest program in the history of WBB. If they keep it close, I’m sure that Longhorn fans will all be chanting by the end of the game, “WE’RE NUMBER TWO!
Austin Texan's chant" We are number 1--when they are number 30. But the Number 2 comment had much humor to it. Funny. However Tx was my choice--

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Who have Oregon lost that they can't get a nomination or even a mention in the whole thread?

As #2? The Ducks deserve plenty of mentions in a thread talking about top 10 but being discussed as a possible #2 seems a stretch.

Reaction Score
With Oregon, and Oregon State for that matter, I would not be at all surprised if they end up #2...... At the same time would not be surprised if they are #22

The Pac 12 plays some pretty good basketball..... and that trend is strengthening

Reaction Score
With Oregon, and Oregon State for that matter, I would not be at all surprised if they end up #2. At the same time would not be surprised if they are #22

The Pac 12 plays some pretty good basketball..... and that trend is strengthening

I can agree on Oregon being in the top 10 but certainly not #2 over the regular elites (SC,Baylor,ND, Stanford). I wouldn't even have Oregon St. in the top 25 this year. Losing wiese will hurt them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Who have Oregon lost that they can't get a nomination or even a mention in the whole thread?
Unfortunately, I was limited to only 7 choices in the poll. I listed 6 schools plus "other" as a catch-all. Oregon would have been the next school I would have listed.

Reaction Score
Yes SCspur I agree with you on the ouch that losing Wiese will be for Oregon State..... I just have a lot of confidence in the coach there.... and i would not be surprised to see him shine....

I forgot Scott Rueck was still there, I got him confused with Mike Neighbors. I believe that he will have them still competing for PAC-12 championships and they will be dangerous once Slocum becomes eligible again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

1 Kelsey Winfrey 5-9 G Fr. Lebanon, Mo. / Lebanon
2 Jordan Roundtree 5-9 G So. St. Louis, Mo. / Kirkwood
3 Sophie Cunningham 6-1 G Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
4 Bri Porter 6-3 F R-Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
5 Lauren Aldridge 5-7 G R-Jr. Marshfield, Mo. / Marshfield Kansas
10 Nadia Green 5-10 G Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
12 Elle Brown 5-11 G Fr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
13 Hannah Schuchts 6-2 F R-So. Tallahassee, Fla. / Maclay
20 Kayla McDowell 6-2 F R-Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio / Mason
21 Cierra Porter 6-4 F Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge
22 Jordan Frericks 6-1 F R-Sr. Quincy, Ill. / Quincy Notre Dame
23 Amber Smith 5-11 G So. Shreveport, La. / Loyola College Prep
24 Jordan Chavis 5-7 G So. Lexington, N.C. / Central Davidson
34 Emmanuelle Tahane 6-1 F Fr. Bondy, France / Marcelin Berthelot
You/They are going to have to show me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I went out on a limb and voted for UCLA.

View attachment 23872

Maybe #2 in the SEC, maybe :rolleyes:

Triad, remember this result the next time you think about going that far out on a limb. I know from experience. It's a smart man that knows his limitations. :cool:

UCLA won't be the best team (or second best) in the PAC 12 this year. I look for Stanford and Oregon St. to run things in the PAC this year. I'd keep an eye on Oregon too. I don't think them getting as far as they did in the tournament was a accident or aberration. Super sophomore Sabrina Ionescu is clearly the leader of this team. She is a no non-sense type leader. UCLA will be decent, and Ariz St. should be competitive as well. UCLA should be ranked top 15 nationally. They should remain ranked all season.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I see the other Duke fans voted other..... perhaps I should change my vote to Other as to not to stand out from the crowd

Triad, remember this result the next time you think about going that far out on a limb. I know from experience. It's a smart man that knows his limitations. :cool:

UCLA won't be the best team (or second best) in the PAC 12 this year. I look for Stanford and Oregon St. to run things in the PAC this year. I'd keep an eye on Oregon too. I don't think them getting as far as they did in the tournament was a accident or aberration. Super sophomore Sabrina Ionescu is clearly the leader of this team. She is a no non-sense type leader. UCLA will be decent, and Ariz St. should be competitive as well. UCLA should be ranked top 15 nationally. They should remain ranked all season.

Well put it this way...... If the Bruins fail to deliver and indeed fall off that limb..... I already have posted the perfect pic :D:p:cool:;):)

I think UCLA might have the most talented team in the Pac-12..... but I question their coaching.... reminds me of team Im quite familiar with :oops::oops::oops::(:(:(Head bangHead bangHead bang

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I see the other Duke fans voted other..... perhaps I should change my vote to Other as to not to stand out from the crowd

Well put it this way. If the Bruins fail to deliver and indeed fall off that limb..... I already have posted the perfect pic :D:p:cool:;):)

I think UCLA might have the most talented team in the Pac-12..... but I question their coaching.... reminds me of team Im quite familiar with :oops::oops::oops::(:(:(Head bangHead bangHead bang

The JPM dog and pony show has just about run it's course in Durham. It's time for her to move on to the next stop. I'm sure the next coach the University hires will be
an up and coming coach with fresh ideas, and a different approach to building a winning program. Your program's break through is on the way. How much support is JPM getting from the Duke fan base? Are they behind her 100% like we are with Auriemma, or do they want her head on a plate like they do in Knoxville?

From the outside looking in, I'm wondering if something is amiss at Duke. You lost two prominent players that JPM was counting heavily on this past season in Salvadores and Stevens.

Even though your program's recruiting classes have been ranked among the best in the country the past few years, for some reason, the program has been unable to reach the Final Four under McCallie.

Players don't just leave for no reason. Duke has had more than their share of transfers lately. What's the "skinny" as you understand it as to why they left?
Stevens does not come off as having the type of personality/ego that demands or courts attention. She appears to be just the opposite. Care to fill in the blanks?

Reaction Score
I can agree on Oregon being in the top 10 but certainly not #2 over the regular elites (SC,Baylor,ND, Stanford). I wouldn't even have Oregon St. in the top 25 this year. Losing wiese will hurt them.
I disagree, mostly regarding OR St. I think they will be either fourth or 5 in the PAC 12 and could possibly make the sweet 16.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Doesn't South Carolina stay #1 until someone can beat them?
Nope. Just as UConn began last season ranked No. 3 despite four consecutive championships, each season is different and each team is ranked on expectations, not the prior season's results.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not really out on a limb for me. Anybody that keeps a close eye on SEC WBB knows that Missouri will be one of the top 4 or 5 SEC teams this season... Cunningham will be 1st team All-SEC.. they return the ROY of the year in Amber Smith. Jordan Frericks returns and she will probably be all-conf and they get Cierra Porter back who will almost definitely be all-conf... they have talent and Pingeton is a good coach teaching a ball movement based offense..

People think the SEC will be SC/MissState/Tenn.. but Missouri will definitely have a lot to say about it. I'm just glad our game versus them will be in Columbia, South Carolina.... SC will definitely be looking for revenge after last year's upset and the fans will be there to welcome them.

I would put Mizzou at #3 in the SEC after Baby Carolina and Miss State.

I saw their schedule...... they most likely will be undefeated headed into SEC Play

Reaction Score
I wanted to say South Carolina, but the departed transfers took a lot with them. Texas is imposing but always seems to find a way to falter. I went with the Muffettes, though they too have questions.
Muffettes,lol!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom